|NOW & THEN
|The purpose of this page is to show
some perspective at various places in
Schuylkill Haven. Below are pairs of
photographs of places as they looked
in the past and as they look now.
|On the left is the Reading Company freight station as it looked in
September 1972. It is now the site of the municipal parking lot as seen on
|Ungers grocery store and adjoining home on Columbia Street are shown on the left in June
of 1970 which is now a parking lot for the former Walkin Shoe Company as seen on the right.
|On the left is the Grace Evangelical Church at the corner of Union and Saint Peter
Streets in April of 1974. On the right is the Schuylkill Hose Company building on
the same site.
|All rights reserved.
|The Columbia Street bridge was a covered bridge in it's day as seen
on the left. The current bridge on the right was built in 1921.
|On the left several stores can be seen on West Main Street in September
1959. On the right the M & T bank lot has now replaced the buildings.
|P. T. Hoy's barn at the corner of St. John and Wilson Streets is shown in
the photo on the left. On the right is as it appears today. However, the
Liquor Store has moved out and the Edward Jones office is now there.
|The municipal parking lot on Wilson Street as seen on the left today, was once home to garages
and other buildings as seen in the view on the right taken in May 1966.
|On the left is the VFW
building as it stood at
the intersection of
Columbia and West
Main Streets before
being torn down. At
one time it was the
Columbia Hotel. Today
it is a vacant lot as
seen on the right.
|On the left is the warehouse for Bittle's Grocery Store at the corner of Columbia and Berne
Streets. After it's removal in 1976, the site became the location of the Turkey Hill Market as
seen on the right today.