LISTS
On this page, we have a list of lists.  Each
represents some facet of Schuylkill Haven and it's
past. Look around and you may find something that
interests you or sparks a memory.  If you can think
of any additions to any of the lists or have a
suggestion for a list, email it to me at:

lists@schuylkillhavenhistory.com
POSTMASTERS
Postal records show that the Schuylkill Haven Post Office was established
upon the appointment of Isaac Dengler as the first postmaster, in March
1830.
 
ISAAC DENGLER
POSTMASTER
MARCH 1830
SAMUEL TRUMP
POSTMASTER
12/12/1831
HENRY J. GEISSENHEIMER
POSTMASTER
3/21/1837
JOHN HUGHES
POSTMASTER
1/23/1838
SOLOMON SHAFFER
POSTMASTER
5/26/1838
PHILIP BOYER
POSTMASTER
3/18/1839
DANIEL H. STAGER
POSTMASTER
6/11/1841
JAMES B. LEVAN
POSTMASTER
3/22/1842
FRANKLIN B. HUNTZINGER
POSTMASTER
7/3/1843
EDWARD HUNTZINGER
POSTMASTER
4/2/1844
JACOB RAHN
POSTMASTER
4/17/1848
ANDREW KEEFER
POSTMASTER
2/27/1849
DAVID H. BAKER
POSTMASTER
5/3/1853
GEORGE L. HUNTZINGER
POSTMASTER
10/20/1855
WILLIAM B. RUDY
POSTMASTER
8/1/1856
DANIEL H. STAGER
POSTMASTER
3/2/1861
ABRAM SAYLOR
POSTMASTER
4/1/1861
AMELIA J. HANNUM
POSTMASTER
11/17/1864
GEORGE F. DENGLER
POSTMASTER
4/6/1889
HARRY I. MOSER
POSTMASTER
1/10/1895
IRVING W. TYSON
POSTMASTER
3/8/1899
CHARLES W. HUY
POSTMASTER
1/4/1904
FRED B. REED
ACTING PM
2/21/1911
FRED B. REED
POSTMASTER
12/12/1911
JOHN M. EBLING
POSTMASTER
1/18/1916
CHARLES A. GRAEFF
ACTING PM
7/1/1924
CHARLES A. GRAEFF
POSTMASTER
3/18/1926
JOSEPH H. BROWNMILLER
ACTING PM
4/22/1934
JOSEPH H. BROWNMILLER
POSTMASTER
2/21/1935
CLYDE L. DEWALD
ACTING PM
11/30/1947
CLYDE L. DEWALD
POSTMASTER
8/1/1949
HARRY F. KREMER
OFFICER IN CHARGE
1/11/1980
DAVID E. MOYER
POSTMASTER
3/22/1980
DIANE F. ROEDER
OFFICER IN CHARGE
6/10/1997
RALPH N. BUTERA
POSTMASTER
8/2/1997
GROCERY STORES
Until the advent of modern day supermarkets, most residents bought much of
their groceries at the corner grocery store.  Some of these "mom and pop"
establishments survived into the 1970s before succumbing to economic reality.  
BITTLES
333 COLUMBIA ST
BUBECKS
115 CENTER AVE
CLAUSERS
FAIRVIEW
DEWALDS
93 S. BERNE ST
GODSHALLS
39 CENTER AVE
GREENAWALTS
19 PARKWAY
HORNBERGERS
317 E MAIN ST
HORNINGS
20 ST JOHN ST
HUGHES
RAILROAD ST
KERSCHNERS
36 ST. CHARLES ST.
KLAHRS
428 DOCK ST.
NAFFINS
121 HAVEN ST
REPPERTS
221 E. UNION ST
SCHAEFFERS*
200 N. BERNE ST.
STERNERS
122 BROADWAY
SUNDAYS
825 GARFIELD AVE
UNGERS**
COLUMBIA ST
BAST STREET
Connects Naffin Avenue with Hess Street east
of Haven Street.
KOCH STREET
Connects North Garfield Avenue with Eaton Street.
MINNICH STREET
Connects Schuylkill Street with Orchard Avenue.
POLK STREET
Adjacent to the west end of the Casket Company off of
East Liberty Street.
TAFT STREET
Connects Leonard Street with East Main Street behind
Avenue C.
FIVE STREETS YOU MAY
NEVER KNEW ABOUT
NEIGHBORHOODS OF TOWN
DUTCH FLAT
This is the area bounded roughly by Columbia Street to the east and Parkway
to the south and extending toward the sewage treatment plant.  It was called
this due to the ancestry of many of the inhabitants who were Pennsylvania
German.
SMOKETOWN
This name was applied to the Liberty Street area of town.  The playground
there was and still is called the Smoketown Playground.
IRISH FLAT
Also known as “The Island”, it is the area located between the railroad
(currently the Blue Mountain and Northern and formerly the Reading Railroad)
and the Schuylkill River.  It is accessed via the Broadway Street Bridge.  It was
so called due to the large population of Irish families.
EDGEWOOD
This is the area bordered by Williams Street on the north, the railroad to the
east and Parkway to the west.
FAIRMOUNT
The current location of the Avenues in town was once heralded as a new
housing development starting in about 1908.  Fairmount Apiaries operated by
D. C. Gilham on Avenue C was named after the addition.
THE ORCHARD
The present day location of Orchard Avenue reaching southward toward
Blossom Lane.  At one time, the area was an orchard of fruit trees.
COLUMBIA HEIGHTS
This is the area comprising the residential section between Stoyer's Dam on
Washington Street toward the Schuylkill Mountain.
GOOSE HILL
This is the hill on Market Street between St. Peter Street and St. John Street.  
During my childhood, only the steep hill itself was referenced but at one time
the entire neighborhood may have been called this.
SPRING GARDEN
Area located in and around Garfield Avenue, Centre Avenue and Dock Street.
At one time the building located at the intersection of Dock Street and Centre
Avenue (now apartments and the North Ward Social Club) was known as the
Spring Garden Hotel.
CINDER PATH
This referred to the area between the railroad and Caldwell Street.  
SHAVEY HILL
The steep hill on Haven Street between East Main Street and Paxson Avenue.
GOAT HILL
This was in the approximate area of Caldwell Street near its proximity to the
intersection of North Berne Street and Schuylkill Street.
POGEY
The designation given to the area near the Rest Haven Home on the eastern
edge of town.
Below is a list of uniquely named geographical features within
Schuylkill Haven.  Most have been around a long time and some are
now rarely used and forgotten.  The boundaries mentioned are
gathered from research and memories of residents.
LAST UPDATED ON:
FEBRUARY 13
*Owned by Heffners previously
**Owned by Schumachers previously
Atkins Five and Ten
12 E Main Street
A store where you could buy
most anything with a lunch
counter against the west wall
of the store.
Blue and Gold Luncheonette
Rotary
Lane                                                                                                                       
Next to the old high school
providing subs, burgers and
ice cream.
Burkerts Confectionery
206 E Main Street
A variety store selling snacks
and confections with a soda
fountain to buy cherry Cokes.
Charlie's Sport Shop (Jim's Sport Shop)
12 E Main Street (111 E Main Street)
Owned by Charlie Detweiler,
supplied local fishermen and
hunters with their needs. It
was formerly Jim's Sport Shop.
Haven Pizza
St. Peter Street
Run by the Moyer family in a
small building serving subs,
cheese steaks and pizza.
Hill Farm Dairy
Saylor Street
A popular place in town to buy
ice cream, milk shakes and
sundaes owned by the
Schwartz family.
Messner and Hess Five and Ten
14 E Main Street
A large well stocked five and
ten where anything from toys
to hardware to school
supplies could be bought, run
by Harry Naffin with a large
female clerk staff.
Music Haven
112 E Main Street (111 E Main Street)
An appliance and music store
owned by Marne Bubeck
where you could buy the
latest 45 rpm single, 33 rpm
LP and later eight track tapes.
PLACES WE BABY BOOMERS
SPENT OUR ALLOWANCES
1925
HARVEY KLINE
2-5-0
1926-1927
HARRY MCINROY
6-8-2
1928
PHILLIP SNYDER
4-5-1
1929-1955
WILLIAM STAUFFER
151-76-15
1956-1960
HARRY HUMMEL
20-26-0
1961-1965
PAT DROSKINAS
13-32-3
1966-1967
RICHARD ROHRER
1-17-1
1968-1970
JOHN KUBEIKA
3-27-0
1971-1981
FRED PORRINO
86-35-2
1982-2004
JOHN DAVIS
179-88-2
2005-2010
MIKE FARR
52-21-0
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN HIGH SCHOOL
HEAD FOOTBALL COACHES
YEARS
HEAD COACH
RECORD
Compliments of Mike Tracey "History of Schuylkill Haven Football"
The borough of Schuylkill Haven was incorporated by an act of Assembly May 23rd, 1840.  The
first election under  the  charter was held on the second Tuesday in July of that year.  
Schuylkill Haven initially elected a burgess and councilmen.  The burgess was elected annually
for a one year term, although reelection was permitted.  The term in office was changed to
three years in 1897, again allowing reelection.  Below is a list of Schuylkill Haven's burgesses
with the year they began serving.
BURGESSES  &  mayors
DANIEL SAYLOR
1840
A. W. KERKESLAGER
1875
JOHN HEEBNER
1843
WINFIELD HENDRICKS
1876
HENRY SAYLOR
1844
E. W. FREHAFER
1877
FREDERICK HAAS
1846
WINFIELD HENDRICKS
1878
SAMUEL BEARD
1847
E. W. FREHAFER
1879
CHARLES KANTNER
1848
ELIJAH EMERICH
1882
MICHAEL BOWMAN
1849
W. A. GENSEMER
1884
HENRY SAYLOR
1850
GEORGE E. BAST
1886
DANIEL SAYLOR
1851
ELIJAH EMERICH
1888
SAMUEL GUSS
1852
ISAAC LOEB
1889
DANIEL H. STAGER
1853
GEORGE E. BAST
1890
N. J. HARDENSTINE
1854
DAVID S. BARR
1891
P. R. PALM
1855
GEORGE E. BAST
1892
B. F. KETNER
1856
WILLIAM E. MILLS
1894
HENRY SAYLOR
1859
IRWIN L. DEIBERT
1895
JOHN FREHAFER
1860
WILLIS L. BRYANT
1896
JOHN HUMMEL
1861
GEORGE E. BAST
1897
JOHN DOHERTY
1862
WILLIAM E. MILLS
1900
WILLIAM M. RANDAL
1863
GEORGE S. PAULE
1903
WILLIAM GENSEMER
1864
HARRY BAKER
1906
HENRY B. HESSER
1865
W. HARTMAN
1909
JOHN FREHAFER
1866
J. O. LESSIG
1914
T. C. ZULICH
1867
DANIEL SHARADIN
1918
J. C. KERKESLAGER
1868
J. C. LAUTENBACHER
1921
HENRY BYERLY
1869
SAMUEL SHOENER
1924
CHARLES WILTROUT
1870
ROY A. SCOTT
1926
PLINY PORTER
1871
SAMUEL HALDEMAN
1943
JOHN G. KOEHLER
1872
WILLIAM HARNER
1946
THOMAS GEIR
1873
MARK H. BAST
1955
H. H. COXE
1874
   
MARK H. BAST
1961
PAUL R. DONMOYER
1982
ALVIN KERSHNER
1970
MICHAEL KOURY
1994
NICHOLAS W. LASCALA
1974
PAUL R. DONMOYER
1998
JONAH REESE
1978
GARY HESS
2006
RICHARD R. MOYER
1979
MICHAEL DEVLIN
 
The office of Chief Burgess was changed to Mayor in September 1961.  Below is the list of
gentlemen serving in that office, with the year they began serving.