|These photos portray the interior of the First National Bank (currently M & T Bank) on Main Street.
On the left is the receiving window with it's impressive woodwork and barred teller stations. On the
right an employee conducts business on a candlestick telephone at his roll top desk.
|Bressler's Band, conducted by Hen Bressler, was well known
throughout the area. Here they parade to a lined street. It
appears to be Centre Street in Pottsville at the intersection of
|The view is a little hazy but this is a rarely seen view
of the reception desk at the Grand Hotel which once
stood at the corner of Main Street and St. John Street.
|This picture features Schwartz's Money Back
Store on St. John Street just south of the
intersection of Main Street taken August 15,
1934. Above is the ad for their Grand Opening
in January 1932.
|Here are a pair of pictures taken at the intersection of
Columbia Street and Berne Street. The ice house is
evident to the rear of both photos. On the photo above,
the warehouse for Bittle's store is in the foreground
and a delivery truck across the street. The autos in the
photos may help someone date them.
|Harry Naffin, former owner of Messner and Hess, used to take pictures of buildings in town before they were torn down. Here are
two he took. On the left is the American Legion hut in September of 1968, located on the current site of the High Rise on Parkway.
On the right is a view of the building from William Street at Parkway.
|PHOTOS JUST ADDED INCLUDE:
Nice high resolution photos just added:
An old stone home on Main Street near Union before
demolition, four nice images near the old school on
Union Street before removal for the new East Ward,
three great images of the Reading Company storage
yards in 1915 and the "new road" to Pottsville in 1929.
|As a side note: My uncle related to me that when he was a boy, the town would close off St. John Street between the bank and
Stine's Pharmacy to allow Bressler's band to give concerts. He stated that prior to beginning, Hen Bressler would announce,
"Kinder, ruhig weil der band spielt", Pennsylvania Dutch for, "Children, quiet while the band plays".
|The Schuylkill Haven Police Department on May 30, 1962:
Row 1: Gloria Shirey,Boyd Hale,Lorin Honicker,Mayor
Bast,Sterling Moyer, Edna(Sis) Bittler
Row 2:Nick Lascala,Murray,Clyde Manbeck
Row 3: Clayton Bashore,Earl Dietrich,Bill Goetz,Cliff Mengle
(Picture compliments of Sharon Freeman)
|This shows a view of the Willow Lake swimming pool. Note
the slides and the rafts in the middle of the pool.
(Photo courtesy of Jim and Shirley Gilbert)
|One of my favorite pictures, shows the
Spring Garden Hotel at the corner of
Dock Street and Center Avenue taken
in either 1894 or 1895. The hotel is
bedecked with patriotic bunting for
|Alpha Mills employees gather on Margaretta Street in front of the
factory. From personal memory I can identify Marge Wagner and
Betty Zimmerman fourth and fifth from left in the front row; Back
row: the men in order from left, Titus Miller,Barton Biever Sr.,Dick
Biever,Jim Harner,Dick Miller,unknown,Bart Biever,Glenn
Sattizahn. Zooming in can help you identify others.
|Here is a progress photo of the Post Office as it was
being built on February 1, 1936.
|The ice house on Bittle's Dam (Stoyer's Dam) is reflected in the water
in this early photo. Circa 1930, the "Sugar Bowl" was located at the
upper end of the present day park. It was a swimming pool located
on the creek flowing into the dam. Access was gained by crossing a
bridge over the "moat". The pool had a bath house, diving boards and
a shallow end for children. Water from the creek was filtered through
a large sand filled tank before entering the pool. It was later
abandoned and mostly forgotten. My uncle related the story that the
Feeser family had some interest in the business. I spoke to Tom
Feeser Jr. who talked with his father, who recalled the pool but could
not remember his father Paul's exact involvement as he was only a
child. According to "Bright Spots", Dr. G. H. Moore of town was also
involved in having the pool constructed.
|This view looks west at the railroad crossing at Main
Street. River Front Center (formerly Troutman's
Hardware) now occupies the site. Note the crossing
shanty at the right with crossing gate.
|Here are two images of Bast Mill on Berne Street located
where the Berne Street playground now exists. Above is a
picture from 1898. At right, the picture was taken from the
Columbia Street bridge about fifty years later.
|This picture from taken form the lot at the former Earl Stoyer car
dealership (now the Losch Wash) looking south toward Columbia
Heights. The area is much less developed with homes then today.
|This view is looking in the general direction of the picture above
but from an earlier time. The ice house is seen on what was then
known as Bittle's Dam (Stoyer's Dam).
|Here are two views of the Irish Flat in September 1968 in the midst of redevelopment of the Island. On the left
is a view of Jacques Street and on the right is Broadway.
|This picture shows the Earl Stoyer car
dealership at the intersection of Berne and
Columbia Streets. Losch Plumbing and
Heating now occupies the building. I am
unsure of the date but perhaps a visitor can
date it from the cars on the lot.
|The four pictures surrounding this text were taken in September of 1968. Buechley's Lumber
Yard on the Irish Flat is seen here before redevelopment began.
|This picture taken in August 1900 shows a bridge that crossed the
canal on Parkway. By this point, the canal was no longer in use and
was being filled in allowing the bridges to be replaced with streets.
|NOTE: MOST OTHER PAGES WITHIN THE SITE CONTAIN
MANY MORE DIFFERENT PICTURES
|This picture shows a piece of fire fighting
apparatus belonging to the Rainbow Hose
Company. The picture is taken under the old
railroad arch on Dock Street above Haven Street
and looks north toward Center Avenue. Zooming
in on this image enhances a great deal of detail
down to the name "Rainbow" on the frame.
|In 1908, local entrepreneurs established
the "Fairmount Addition" which today is
known as the Avenues. Above is a map
printed from a brochure printed to lure
potential home builders. Zooming in on this
image greatly enhances the detail. The site
was formerly Boyer's farm.
My wife and I raised our children at 53
Avenue C, a home we had always been told
was one of the first in the development.
Recent research indicates it may have, in
fact, been the first home there.
|These aerial views of downtown Schuylkill Haven were taken in March 1973. Note the differences as compared to today: the Reading
Company freight station is now a parking lot, the Yoder building is the parking lot next to post office, the former state police barracks
is now the site of the car wash, the Island is not yet developed, homes near the Green Goose playground are not yet built, the new
elementary school is not yet built, the Methodist Church is still standing on Saint John Street and homes on Saint Peter Street that
burned down in a fire and now the site of a parking lot.
|This image captures the destruction of the March 8, 1932 fire
that destroyed the Hotel Grand at Main and St. John Streets.
|The local contingent of the Ku Klux Klan march their way down
Parkway in a parade. Note the KKK pennant on the mule in the front
and the hooded horseman behind him.
|This 1912 picture of Meck's Mill at the corner of West Main Street and
Parkway shows little difference from its current appearance.
|This is a view of the I. B. Heim General Store on the
corner of St. John and Union Streets. Harry Naffin
related that visitors to the store would be greeted by
the owner with, " I. B. Heim, who be you." The building
is today an apartment building.
|These two images show the aftermath of the blaze at the Faust apartments on Tennis Avenue.
On March 31, 1965, a fire destroyed the Faust apartments in the building that was once the Sharadin Mill. The fire started about 7:15
and all three fire companies responded. Five families lost everything in the blaze. While cars in the adjacent garages were safely
removed, two school buses were burned. Several explosions occurred including one that sent a cake pan out a window, striking
Borough Manager Bob Gehrig on his hard hat though not injuring him.
In conversation with Harry Naffin, he related his involvement in the story. He responded as a volunteer and while standing with Chief
Carl Feger noticed that the fire was not venting. Feger told Harry to get two axes, stating they would then climb a ladder to the roof to
cut vent holes. Harry said just as he returned with the axes to begin the task, an explosion hit that blew the roof up into the air before
settling back on the walls. If Harry had been quicker, they may have been up there when the blast hit.
|The former Borough Hall on Dock Street looks much the same today as it did here in this early 1950's view.
|This photo shows the intersection of Union and Saint John
Streets after a snowfall in 1920. Heim's store is on the left,
the steeple of the Methodist Church that once stood on St.
John Street is seen up the street. The home behind the trees
on the right is the location of the library today.
|The new State Highway Garage (PennDot)in Schuylkill Haven was dedicated on October 1,
1938. This picture was taken that day. One of the distinguished guests at the ceremony
was Governor George H. Earle. At left is the cover of official program for the ceremony.
|This view is on Union Street looking west from St. Peter
Street at the current location of the Schuylkill Hose
|This picture taken in 1908 shows North Garfield Avenue looking
north from the area of Center Avenue. The angle suggests it may
have been taken from the railroad tracks of the Lehigh Valley
Railroad as it passed through town.
|Theses two images are taken at the intersection of Union Street
and Saint Peter Street. The picture below looks down Saint Peter
Street from Jackson Street with the still remaining steps on the
left, the now gone street in the middle at the bottom and the old
Grace Evangelical Church where the Schuylkill Hose Company
now stands. The former Meck mansion is seen on the right, much
as it looks today. Both pictures are from 1905.
|This photo depicts homes and the roller skating rink on West
Main Street. The rink is on the right and is the current location
of Boyer's Market. The homes and the rink were built by noted
Schuylkill Haven carpenter and entrepreneur, Paul Naffin.
|Here are two more pictures from the Irish Flat before redevelopment caused
their removal. At left is Yenosky's Café and on the right are family homes.
|This set of pictures witnesses the end of the P. T. Hoy building and the adjacent Abe's Workingman's Store at the corner of Main and
Saint John Streets in August of 1964.
|The two photos above at left and right show the current municipal parking lot on Wilson Street when buildings still occupied the site.
The middle picture shows a home that was torn down behind the Messner and Hess building to allow for the expansion of the store.
The scenes are from May of 1966.
|On June 12, 1960, members of the Schuylkill Hose
Company received their new fire engine which meant
this old Seagraves would be sold to MaryD. The
photos were taken at Schuylkill Hose Company at
their old location of Saint Peter and Wilson Streets.
|On Easter morning in April of 1960, fire destroyed all the buildings between the Pennsylvania Bank and the railroad tracks. This set of
pictures details the event.
|At left is the building that once
housed a dress shop on East Main
Street owned by Rosalia Fleming. It
was located next to the current
Geschwindt Stabingas Funeral
Home. Below, the building is being
|Two 1973 era aerial photos of Schuylkill Haven show the Stoyer's Dam area on the left and the Parkway with the Hi-Rise on the right.
|This is the building owned by Elias
Ziegenfuse, furniture dealer and
undertaker. It was located where the
Geshwindt Stabingas Funeral Home on
Main Street is now. This picture is from
|The five photos below are aerial views taken by my son and I over Schuylkill Haven in 2004. Detail in each picture is
enhanced by clicking on the individual pictures.
|Above is the down town
area with the center point
near the intersection of
Main and Saint John Streets.
|Above is the area near High,
Market and Margaretta
Streets with the Alpha Mills
near the center and the old
Argo Mills in the upper left.
|Below is the center of
town looking east
from Berne Street at
the bottom toward the
Avenues near the top.
|Below can be seen the
Haven Casket Company and
the Liberty Street area.
|Below is Stoyers Dam and
Bubeck Park looking down
from the Schuylkill
|Parkway, located off of the western end of Main Street is considered an eye pleasing part of town. Below are five images of the area
from the past. Note as written on one view, it was previously called Canal Street.
|These two images look on Parkway southward from Main Street. Several sources tell me the cannons were
collected during a scrap drive for World War Two but were never destroyed and may yet be stored somewhere.
|Looking south from the
intersection with Columbia Street,
the Walkin Shoe Company is on the
|TRAVELING DOWN MAIN STREET
|The following set of post cards shows Main Street in various time periods from east of Green Street to Parkway. Each view is
described and dated when possible below the image.
|East Main Street looking east from Green Street
in 1906. Note the dirt street and deep gutters.
|Looking west from Haven Street in 1913. The
home on the corner is still there.
|Looking east from Dock Street in 1910. The
church and parsonage on the left remain today.
|Looking west from the vicinity of Dock Street in
1910. Buggies are transportation of the day.
|This view looks west down Main Street from
Saint Peter Street toward the railroad.
|In 1907,these stores lined the north side of Main Street
between Saint John Street and the current funeral home.
|Years later, more change is evident in this
view looking west from Saint Peter Street.
|This 1907 view shows buildings on the south
side of Main Street nearing Saint John Street.
|Another 1907 view looks east from the Reading
Railroad crossing below Saint John Street.
|In 1917, the view east on Main Street is similar
to ten years earlier with trolley tracks visible.
|The view again from the Reading Railroad
crossing but in 1929.
|The intersection of Main and Saint John Streets
with the P. T. Hoy building on the corner.
|Automobiles now line the Main Street in this
view of the business district.
|Two Schuylkill Haven landmarks, the P. T. Hoy
building at left and the Hotel Grand at right.
|The beautiful Hotel Grand in 1906.
|Trees line Main Street just below the railroad
tracks looking toward Parkway.
|This 1909 view shows an unpaved Main Street
from just below the railroad looking west.
|Here is yet another view looking west below
the Reading Railroad crossing on Main Street.
|Our final Main Street view shows the home at the corner of
Parkway and Main Street in 1903 much as it looks today.
|Here are two pictures of the Columbia Street bridge. On the left it is seen during its days as a covered bridge. Note the
Columbia Hotel, later the VFW to the left. The 1929 view on the right shows the current bridge, much the same now as then but
with light posts on each end.
|Schuylkill Haven was
once the home to the
Rio movie theatre
which was located on
Saint Peter Street near
Union Street. This
program is from 1940.
The cash prize is $200
since according to the
back cover, Abner
Miller was not present
to win $150 the
|The picture above shows the Parkway Restaurant. It is taken from the
cover of a menu which causes a less then perfect image.
|As you leave Schuylkill Haven traveling south on Berne Street, you travel
up what is known as the Schuylkill Mountain Road. A nice overview of the
town is visible from the top. It is said that at one time, when the mountain
was less wooded, burning crosses were occasionally observed
compliments of the local Ku Klux Klan. The top left image shows the road
traveling up the mountain under construction. At top right, the view
shows the road going down into town. To the left we again see the road
descending into town. Below is the road going up the mountain with the
side road on the left leading into the storage yards.
|Many early postcards featured "bird's eye views" of towns. These pre airplane aerial views gave viewers an
overall perspective of an area. Below are various views of this type of Schuylkill Haven.
|This 1925 angle is looking from the Market Street/Saint Peter Street intersection
west toward Long Run. The Walkin Shoe factory is seen in the middle left of the card.
|This 1910 image shows Stoyer's Dam and West Columbia Street looking north
from Columbia Heights. Note barns in town and the undeveloped orchard area.
|This is a 1911 view looking north from the far end of South Berne Street.
Zooming in allows one to see the covered bridge on Columbia street, the
Bast mill on North Berne Street and the outdoor toilets behind the homes.
|A young man in 1908 points toward Schuylkill Haven from somewhere above Garfield
Avenue. Note the railroad tracks and overpass. St. Ambrose Church on Dock Street
is in the very center.
|Looking down from the Schuylkill Mountain over Schuylkill Haven,
the covered bridge at Columbia Street is visible on the left.
|Another view from near
South Berne Street looking
|This early photo looks towards Cressona. The Reading car shops are
visible on the right middle section of the card.
|This view from North Berne Street gives a nice overview of Schuylkill Haven.
|A BANK OF CHANGING FACE AND NAME
|The bank at the corner of Main and Saint John Streets was established there in 1904 as the First National Bank of Schuylkill Haven. It
later became the Pennsylvania Bank and later underwent more name changes until becoming the M and T Bank today. At upper left is
the bank as seen in 1909 and above right, the same bank in 1917. The picture at below left shows a new structure in 1937 and below
right, the bank resembles its current state.
|The two pictures below show the arch of the Pennsylvania Railroad where it crossed Dock Street at the intersection of Haven Street.
At left, a horse drawn buggy is seen in this early 1900's view while at right early autos are seen in this 1930's view.
|At left Is Columbia Street when it was a tree lined street, looking west from Parkway. At right is the Broadway Bridge, leading to the
Island or the "Irish Flat" as it was known at one time.
|This is the original building of the Schuylkill Haven
Trust Company which later housed Stramara's Sub
Shop and now the Uptown Tavern.
|This photo shows the business of William J. Saylor
Jr., plumber, supposedly on Main Street in town. A
note on the card says, "still doing business at old
store, Bill". The location is at 214 East Main Street.
|The following seven photographs are all related to the P. T. Hoy building at the corner of Main and Saint John Streets, where Brok-Sel
now is located. These pictures were kindly provided by Lewis Hoy, descendant of P. T. Hoy, as were the following two. They were
taken by his father, Lewis H. Hoy, except where noted.
|This view of the Hoy building in 1902 shows it looking north from Saint John Street. The barn
and stables are behind the store. The young boy walking along the sidewalk near the barn is
Rudy F. Hoy, Lewis H. Hoy’s brother, the man who ran the store from 1920 until its closing.
The Hoy property consisted of the entire block with the exception of a small parcel between the
Hoy Building and the Hoy barn and stables. In the 1930’s the Dr. Lessig home was built on that
parcel. P.T. Hoy acquired an existing building on this site. The front portion was demolished
to permit construction of the new store and above, 2 ½ stories of living quarters, which were
constructed shortly before 1900. The older rear portion was retained from the earlier structure
which contained a “lodge hall” used for many years by the GAR post. This older portion had a
unique feature of having a first floor below street level, the result of the filling and raising of
Main and St. John Streets. to the level of the P&R Railroad tracks at the crossing. The framing
of older store fronts could be seen in the basement. A portion of the west end of the old
building was also incorporated into the Hoy living quarters. This area is identified by the porch
along the sidewalk, the location of the front door and the downstairs parlor window. There
was a grand parlor on the second floor fronting on Main Street.
|Also from 1902 is this image of Pottsville Union Traction’s
Pullman built car in front of the store on the Saint John
Street side. Note the beer wagon unloading at the Hotel
Grand. The arc light hanging over the street is
significant. This was the first electric light in the town
when the power plant in Schuylkill Haven went into
service. Lewis H. Hoy as a boy was present at the
inaugural “throwing of the switch” at the power plant.
|This is the window exhibit of the Hoy store, displaying
new products that were being introduced at the turn
the century. The salesmen would spend a week living
at the Hotel Grand and samples of food items would be
made available at the counter behind this window. In
this window among several items appears to be a
Pinocchio figure. To the right there is a woman in the
background smiling. Lew believes this to be his Aunt
Helen, his father’s sister. Lew never met his aunt, as
she died giving birth about 1924.
|The interior view of the store, which handled all products such as dry
goods, lamps, and any necessities. The woman in the photo is
Christine Hoy, Lewis Hoy's father's older sister. The store sold flowers
at Easter and always had barrel molasses available. The molasses
barrel with the crank pump was located immediately to the right upon
entry from the Saint John Street door as was the counter. Note the
gas lighting fixture. This was the first store in Schuylkill Haven to
have complete electric lighting, installed by Lew’s father when he was
General Manager of the store, perhaps around 1908. Because the
building was wired, the store also had one of the first electrically
operated cash registers with an internal accounting system and
printed tape receipt. This device lasted until the store's closing.
|The Hoy parlor (in the “older” first floor section of the building),
date uncertain, but after the store and home were wired for
electricity. These electric trains were well known to residents of
Schuylkill Haven just prior to WW I. They were displayed in the
store for several years at Christmas time (the first electric toy
trains in the town). They were an exceptionally appealing
attraction to draw people into the store. When first displayed they
were tended by a young man whose father was the engineer on
the Reading’s “Flyer”, Trains #92 (southbound) and #97
(northbound), the fastest trains to and from Philadelphia. The
engineer’s name was Moyer. His son later started Moyer Electric
in Pottsville . He was then a school student and manned the train
exhibit after school.
|At left, a view taken from the Hoy property looking toward Main St. and the Hotel Grand during a snowy day. Note the Hoy hitching
post. The Hoy store had the first motor truck to operate 12 months of the year in Schuylkill County . For this reason it had the first
public gasoline pump in town. At right, a scene of the Hotel Grand corner during a snowstorm in 1920 taken by the East Penn’s claim
agent John A. Mower of Sch. Haven, when a major effort was involved in getting the line open.
|At left, another Mower photo shows the cleared trolley tracks
near the Saint John and Liberty Streets intersection circa
1920. Above is Dock Street looking north between Main
Street and Paxson Avenue.
|This set of five photos is from the Library of Congress archives. They show the Argo Knitting Mill on Margaretta Street near Market
Street. The pictures are from 1953. The building is now part of Alpha Knitting Mills.
|Churches of Schuylkill Haven
|Here is the Methodist Church when it was located on Saint
John Street. It was relocated to Saylor Street after burning
down in the early 1980s.
|This 1911 picture shows Saint James Episcopal Church at
the corner of Dock Street and Paxson Avenue looking
much as it does today.
|This 1937 image shows Saint Ambrose Catholic Church and
rectory on Dock Street. The new church is located on
Randal Street near the eastern end of town.
|Originally called Strunck Memorial Hall and looking much the
same today, it remains the home of Saint John's UCC Church
at the corner of Dock and Main Streets.
|This 1910 postcard shows the United Brethren Church on
Main Street near Margaretta Street along with views of the
old parsonage and the new parsonage which remains today.
|Here is Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church as seen in 1910
Main Street. It merged with Christ Lutheran after the
burned down creating Jerusalem Lutheran Church.
|In 1906, Grace Evangelical Church was
located at the corner of Saint Peter and
Union Streets, the present location of the
Schuylkill Hose Company.
|Christ Lutheran Church was located
on the ground occupied by
Jerusalem Lutheran Church on Dock
Street until fire destroyed it.
|This 1913 view of Saint Matthew's on
Dock Street also shows the adjoining
parsonage looking much as it does
|Saint John's Reformed Church
located on Main Street where Saint
John's UCC is today. This is looking
north down High Street.
|This nice 1907 image looks south on Saint Peter Street from
Main Street. Dr. Roberts now occupies the building on the left.
Note the homes on the right side of the street now occupied
by the Sovereign Bank. The homes on the left burned down in
a fire in the early 1980s.
|The Gerber Shoe Factory occupied the corner of Parkway and
Columbia Street in this 1909 picture. Note the bridge over the
canal on the left.
|Today Rest Haven exists as the county retirement home for the aged. Over the years it has been known as the Insane Asylum, the
Poor House, the Almshouse and other monikers. While not within the proper boundaries of town, it has always been linked with
Schuylkill Haven. Below is a series of images of the area.
|These two early views show the complex from what is currently Route
61 looking north.
|These are two more overall views at a later date.
|This set of four pictures show various buildings at the Rest Haven complex.
|Below are two more panoramic scenes of the buildings as they existed.
|Both of these undated photos show businesses in Schuylkill Haven. On the left is Ehly's Bakery on Dock Street located where the
Jerusalem Church now stands. At right, are two unidentified persons surrounding the sign for Heister Klahr's Restaurant, believed to
be on Dock Street also. The man on the right may be Heister Klahr.
BOTH PHOTOS COURTESY OF SUSAN SHOMPER DOYLE
|This circa 1918
photo shows a
young man by
the name of
Frank Fox of
back of the
photo states he
was a champion
skater at the
Roller Rink in
town which was
is today. The
rink was built by
|The cutting room at Meck's Mill is shown here. The man on the left is
identified as Warren Leeser.
PHOTOS COURTESY OF SUSAN SHOMPER DOYLE
|The exact location of
this home on Main
Street is unknown. It
housed a business
owned by the
|The set of seven photos below show the Esso gas station on Dock Street where the Chinese restaurant is now located. The images
were taken by Freeman Shomper as he prepared to take over the business that was formerly Moyer's Service Station.
PHOTOS COURTESY OF SUSAN SHOMPER DOYLE
|These two pictures show employees of Meck's Mill in a parade. The date and event are unknown.
|A parade of unknown date and event
passes the intersection of Union and
Saint John Streets.
|THE DEMISE OF GRACE EVANGELICAL CHURCH
This set of eight photos records the razing of Grace Evangelical Church at the corner of Saint Peter and Union Streets,
current location of the Schuylkill Hose Company. The slides were printed in April 1974, which should be an accurate date of
about when this occurred.
|SCHUYLKILL HAVEN'S 225 TH ANNIVERSARY PARADES IN 1975
In 1975, Schuylkill Haven celebrated it's 225 th anniversary. Below are scenes from the long parades that were held. There
was a firemans parade in June and a civic parade in August. You can distinguish the pictures below by knowing that it
rained for the civic parade.
|At left, the parade begins with the official banner leading the way. On the right the Schuylkill Haven High School Band marches up
Main Street. These photos were taken, as all the following were, from in front of Messner and Hess, looking west down Main Street.
All photos were taken by Harry Naffin.
|At left is a fire company group marching and at right is the Schuylkill County Motorcycle Club. Looking at these pictures, you can
identify businesses no longer here. The building with the Dr. M. M. Maurer, Chiropractor sign was torn down many years ago and once
housed Raudenbush's bakery in the lower floor. Stine's Pharmacy has since been sold and the Pennsylvania National Bank has been
renamed several times.
|The gentleman in the rear of this dune buggy appears to be the mayor of the day, Nick Lascala. On the right is Paul Donmoyer, who was
later mayor of town, in front of the Bonnie Jean shop which no longer exists and riding in a car emblazoned with the now defunct Earl
Stoyer car dealership advertising.
|The car on the left carries Marion Singer, the queen from the town's 175th anniversary held in 1925. On the right is the queen for 1975,
Micki (Emerich) Casey. Note Jack's Shoes and Things in the background.
|The float on the left carries the contestants for princess. Do you recognize any of them? On the right is Main Street prior to the start
of the parade. The reviewing stand is set up on Saint John Street next to the bank.
|On the left, Messner and Hess is decorated for the celebration as is Charlie's Sports Center, both long gone. The pharmacy on the
right was owned by Dave Schimpf, who was very active in the event.
|The A and P store before it went out of business now is
the home of Boyer's Food Market on West Main Street.
|The following photographs are from the collection of Harry Naffin. None are identified as to exact location nor are the individuals
known. Most certainly they are from Schuylkill Haven. If anyone can identify the locations of these photos, it would be of interest to
|This image shows the interior of Doutrich's Store which was located
on Main Street near the railroad tracks.
|The three photos above depict the Ebling Garage on Dock Street. The building was demolished in 2010 and was located
directly behind the North Ward Social Club. The date of the photos is believed to be in the late 1930's into the 1940's.
|This 1906 image shows a delivery wagon in front of
the Spring Garden Hotel at the corner of Dock Street
and Centre Avenue.
|This 1906 image depicts North Berne Street. Many
of the homes are still recognizable today.
|1906 was also the year of this image showing the
hotel at the east end of the Columbia Street bridge,
which was a covered bridge at the time.
|The rolling mill located along the Reading
Railroad tracks west of Union Knitting Mills is
shown from the west at top and the east at
|LAST UPDATED: OCTOBER 2
|This is the store front for Hartman's Liquor Store and Underwood's as seen in about 1910. The location is
currently the parking lot for the post office and borough hall. The four adults are from left to right: David
Detweiler, Christine Raudenbush, Ike Huy and E. G. Underwood, the owner and proprietor.
|The photo at right is a copy of the original photograph taken by H. S.
Deibert, August 7, 1894. Washburn's Circus was exhibiting on the
mule yard, the square in Schuylkill Haven now (1931) bounded by
Canal Street, Union Street, tennis Avenue and west Main Street. The
man on the ladder dove into the net beneath.
|This photo is undated but it is
believed to be from the 1920
era. It is taken in Mount Gretna,
Pa but shows the National
Guard Newspapers from the
time period show a large and
active contingent from town.
|Schuylkill Haven has long been the home to many hunters. The following five images provided by Sue George depict some hunters
from the early 1900s.
|Both pictures here depict the same fallen buck in 1914. The picture was taken at the corner of Dock Street and Centre Avenue at the
building now housing the North Ward Social Club. It was at one time the Spring Garden Hotel. The man in the apron was a butcher
whose shop was next door. The burly man with the mustache in the photos is Clayton Bubeck and the man with the rifle and wearing a
tie is Clyde Bubeck. Joel Stump is the man second from right in both photos. Samuel Ruch is on the right in the left photo and holding
the deer on the right photo. John Ebling is the man in the derby in both photos.
|This fine looking group of gentlemen are shown in front of their
hunting cabin and were known as "The Schuylkill Rangers".
|This photo was taken in front of the cabin in 1922. Identified from
left are Ebling, Charles Burns, William Dietrich, Samuel Ruch,
unknown, Joel Stump, Quinter, Clyde Bubeck, Heim, Clayton
|John Bubeck, on the right, joins
another hunter with the results of the
hunt. Note the sign for the Spring
Garden Rifle Club near the roof line.
Below is a token from that club in
|Schuylkill Haven pirates
|Like many towns, Schuylkill Haven had its own baseball team. They were known as the Pirates. As with many pictures on this site,
zooming in on them brings out incredible detail.
|This shows the team in 1906. Back row: Clyde Bubeck (P), Joseph
Kaufman (OF), Edward Berger (P), Lewis Emerich, Robert
Fitzpatrick (RF), Albert Weist (C), Robert Sausser Front Row:
Raymond Shappell middle. Other three are unknown.
|The team in 1913.
|Painter Clyde Bubeck balances on a ladder at Saint
Matthew's Lutheran Church on Dock Street in 1918.
|The Van Buren Chorus, 1940s era group from Schuylkill Haven seen in
the current middle school building. Minstrel shows were one part of
|BACK IN THE SEVENTIES
|The following four photographs were kindly provided by George Lord. At top left is the Pennsy Railroad arch on South Garfield Avenue
looking from Center Avenue with Bashore's Knitting Mill on the left. Both are now gone. At top right is a picture of the defunct
Schuylkill Haven Trust Company in December 1971. The homes behind it on Saint Peter Street burned in the early 1980s. At bottom left
is Jean Lord, Miss Schuylkill Haven in 1968, in a parade in Wellsboro, Pa. At bottom right is Dock Street looking from Haven Street
toward Centre Avenue in December, 1971. The home directly ahead with the awning is now gone. Note the old Christmas lights on the
|The Schuylkill River had apparently spilled out of its banks in this photo
taken on September 24, 1924. The location is the corner of West Main and
Saint Charles Streets, with the Reider Shoe Factory in the background.
|The images below are from the parade for the 175th Anniversary celebration held in town in 1925. The top two are taken on Main
Street. The people in the left photo are dressed in rather formal attire while those in the right photo appear to be dressed as pilgrims.
In row two, the left photo is on Main Street and the right photo is the IOOF float on Saint John Street. In row three the left photo shows
a float at the Reading Railroad tracks on Main Street and on the right the children marching may be wearing white hoods as the KKK
had a large presence in the parade. In row four. a marching band appears on the left and a float with a pretty girl aboard is on the right.
|Below is an image of the Bast Knitting Mill on Berne
Street as seen from across the river on Main Street
(current location of the Berne Street playground)
|Both of these photos come from a Schuylkill Haven album from the mid 1920's. Can anyone identify either location?
|Below are three aerial photos of Schuylkill Haven which are great for comparing changes over the years. The pictures were taken by
the Pennsylvania Geological Survey. The years the photos were taken are from left to right: 1938, 1958 and 1971.
I have purposely left the photos in a smaller size as they are better viewed by clicking on the photo to accentuate the detail.
|The following images were taken from a brochure from the D. M. Bittle Funeral Home located on Main
Street. It was printed in the late 1930's.
|David Bittle, at upper left was the owner of the
funeral home at the time, his picture and that of
founder Eli Ziegenfus, at upper right, flank a
picture of the business in the late 1930's. The five
pictures in the lower row are interior scenes from
the funeral home.
|SCHUYLKILL COUNTY HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE
The 1912 building at what is currently called Rest Haven, was dedicated October 30, 1913 as part of the
Schuylkill County Hospital for the Insane. Below is a series of images taken from the program given to each
attendee that day. The images have been left in thumbnail so that clicking on them enhances the detail.
|This photo shows the Citizen's Band of Schuylkill
Haven in the 1920s.
|NOTE: NEW PHOTOS GENERALLY ADDED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
CLICKING ON PHOTOS ENHANCES THE DETAILS ON MOST
|Schuylkill Haven generated its own electricity at one time from the building on
Haven Street. Below is a picture of the original building and at right is the newer
structure, still there today. In the picture below you can see the Pennsylvania
Railroad tracks in the rear. The remnants of the smokestack remain today.
|Below are pictures related to Bressler's band of Schuylkill Haven, led by Henry Bressler. The first is a view of the band in an
advertisement for their services. Below that is a picture of the band posing outdoors.
|At left is the Independent Cornet Band of Black Horse, located in Wayne Township, led by Henry Washington Bressler whose picture is
on the right.
|This image depicts Merlie Fisher's Barber Shop when it was
located on Main Street. Identified from left to right are:
Merlie Fisher, Carl Fisher and George Moyer. In 1937 the
shop was moved to Parkway.
|The family of Lewis and Elizabeth Bitzer pose at their home
on Berne Street where it turns sharply to the left onto
Schuylkill Street, current home of Joe and Arlene Quesada.
|This 1900 era image shows
the children's ward at the
Almshouse at Schuylkill
|This picture shows Clarence W. Heffner,
owner of Heffner's Meat Market, which was
located on the side street off of North Berne
Street just north of the traffic light. He is
shown here with champion steers bought at
the Pennsylvania Farm show in either 1956
|This picture taken inside the Schuylkill
Haven Post Office shows D. D. Coldren at
the counter with his dog, Czar. The date of
the photo and the woman behind the
counter are unknown. This is the dog
which Mr. Coldren had immortalized in
concrete on the front of his mill.
|THE RAID ON GESCHWINDT'S
|The series of pictures below were taken after the raid on the home of Charles Geschwindt on Garfield Avenue on April 1, 1934.
Seized were 225 gallons of wine, 13 cases of home brewed beer, two bottle cappers, a syphon hose and 24 empty cases. The story is
on the Crime Page of this site.
|Illegal booze and equipment
with police officers in front of
the old Town Hall on Dock
|Another view of the goods with
the police on Dock Street
looking toward Main Street.
|The booze was loaded into a
Schuylkill Haven Highway
Department truck to be
|Police and unknown persons
pose with the alcohol and
equipment before its disposal.
The background suggests
this may have taken place at
the town dump.
|The goods go
up in a mass of
|Below are two more pictures of Bressler's Band from Schuylkill Haven. At left, the band parades moving west on Union
Street between Saint Peter and Saint John Streets for the funeral procession for Lieutenant Roy Guertler in April of 1931.
At right the band moves west on Main Street between Dock and Saint Peter Streets, date and event unknown.
|This delivery truck originally belonged to Unger's Market on
Columbia Street. It was purchased by Harvey Moyer, a
farmer on the Schuylkill Mountain who used it to sell his
goods in the area on Fridays.
|This scene is from the Willow Lake
swimming pool on Garfield
Avenue, probably taken in the
fifties or sixties.
PHOTO COURTESY OF GREG KIRK
|These early 1970s views show the bridge of the Pennsylvania Railroad where it crossed Route 61 at Schuylkill Haven's northern end.
On the left you are looking south and can see the sign for the Acme (current location of Denny Electric and Sherwin Williams) and
Fehr's Esso station. On the right, you are looking north and can see the Buzalko home where the auto parts store is today.
|REDEVELOPMENT IN THE NORTH WARD
In the early 1970s, redevelopment began in the North Ward area of Schuylkill Haven. This included the removal of the
Pennsylvania Railroad tracks and arches stretching from Haven Street, across Garfield Avenue and continuing across Route 61.
It also involved the removal of homes on Coal and Berger Streets long with those on South Garfield Avenue. These pictures
show the area before the destruction.
These photos were converted from old slides resulting in some red tinting from age discoloration.
|The picture at left gives an overview of the area from above what was Hummel Buick at the time and today home of Reiley and Sterner.
Note the body and fender shop which is the current location of a bank and the Pennsylvania rail line running behind the homes. At the
right is the old Butz home which was located on the corner of Center Avenue and Garfield Avenue.
|Both of these views are of the Pennsylvania Railroad arch crossing South Garfield Avenue looking north toward Center Avenue. Dr.
Zawisa's office is located in the left foreground today.
|At left is a view of the arch looking south on Garfield Avenue from Center Avenue. At right is a view of the arch over Dock Street
looking south from Center Avenue near the North Ward Social Club.
|The two views here show the arch over Dock Street. At left is a view looking north from just below Willow Street. Note the Haven
Tavern sign at left and Klahr's Grocery store at the intersection with Haven Street. On the right the view is from Haven Street looking
toward the intersection.
|Two views showing the Dock Street arch before its final demise. At left the view is looking north from Willow Street and at right the
view is looking south from Center Avenue.
|The view on the left shows the south side of the block of Coal Street looking west from Dock Street. The view on the right shows the
same block looking east from South Garfield Avenue.
|The photo at left shows the north side of Coal Street looking west from Dock Street. Hess's Concrete tower is visible at the rear,
formerly Feeser Supply Company. At right are garages to the rear of the Butz home at Center Avenue and Garfield Avenue.
|These four pictures above are of homes in the area of Garfield Avenue near Coal and Berger Streets. The only one I can positively
identify is at upper left which was located across from the present day Spotts Brothers warehouse. Below are three views on Center
Avenue during the process.
|The three photos below show the Bittle Grocery Store warehouse located at the corner of Columbia and Berne Streets before it was
demolished. It is the current location of Turkey Hill.
|Below are two views of the Pennsylvania Railroad arch that passed over Seven Stars Road near Connor's Crossing before it was
removed. In the picture at left, the Earl Stoyer Used Car lot is in the foreground along Route 61. The picture at right is coming from
Seven Stars toward Route 61.
|This view shows the north side of Main Street
looking west from Saint Peter Street.
|This building stood
next to P. T. Hoy's
on Main Street and
prior to Jayne's it
|Below are two views on Dock Street. At left is a view of the homes on the east side of the street between River Street and Paxson
Avenue in the distance. At right is the Trinity Episcopal church, the building still standing today
|The photo on the left is of Saint John's float but more importantly it gives a great view of store signs along the north side of Main
Street. Check them out and see how many you remember. The photo at right is of the Blue Mountain High School band. It is special to
me because the young lady on the left carrying the banner was my late wife, Lynn.
|The Soldier's Memorial on Parkway.
|This old photo shows the interior of the former Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church on
Dock Street, obviously decorated for a Children's Day. This is the church in which I
was raised and the beautiful painting of Christ above the altar was still there when
the church merged with Christ Lutheran to form the Jerusalem Lutheran Church.
|The two pictures to the left here, were taken during the sewer project on Market Street in the early 1950s. The views are looking east
on Market Street from Saint John Street. The photo at right is 220 Saint John Street and shows Sterling and Helen Achenbach on the
porch of the home where Sterling ran a one room grocery store from 1950-1956.
PHOTOS COMPLIMENTS OF RICHARD ACHENBACH
|The pictures below are homes in Schuylkill Haven in 1925. Top left photo is at the corner of Dock Street and Paxson Avenue, looking
much as it does today. Top right is the old Pflueger home at Union and Saint Peter Streets taken from the latter. Middle left is in the
200 block of East Main Street and middle right is the home at Parkway and West Main Street, both looking similar today. Bottom left is
West Main Street and bottom right is on Dock Street next to the old Borough Hall.
|All pictures below are from the 175th Anniversary celebration held in 1925. The top two are buildings on Saint John Street. Below that
are parade scenes including the State Police, Bressler's Band, Girl Scouts and the Ku Klux Klan. They are either taken on Saint John
Street looking south from Union Street or on West Main Street above Saint Peter Street.
|The following four pictures are compliments of Jim Creveling of Reading, who rescued these great photos from destruction. At top
left is an image of a late ice harvest on Bittle's Dam (Stoyer's Dam) on March 25, 1906. It looks northeast from the south side of the
dam. Top right shows Motzer's Bakery on Parkway between Main and Union Streets in 1880 on the east side of the canal. At bottom
left is a picture taken March 18, 1932, ten days after the Hotel Grand fire. The view looks north from Wilson Street. The bottom right
photo shows the Reading Railroad station under construction in 1901.
|This image shows the George Bubeck home on Center Avenue.
It is on the north side of the street south of the Dock Street
|This photo has Schuylkill haven inscribed on the back. A sign on
the home is for Liberty Street. Its exact location is unknown.
|At left is Vincent J. Dalton
as a young boy. He later
became a judge in
Schuylkill County and
lived in Schuylkill Haven.
At an early age, he was
picking coal along the
Reading Railroad tracks.
The train moved when his
arms were under the
wheels and they were
mangled and had to be
amputated. This is
apparent in the picture
when looking at his shirt
|Ehly's Bakery delivery truck probably in the 1950s. The driver
may be employee Charles Heim.
|At left is the intersection of
Berne and Columbia Streets.
The home being removed is
on Columbia Street and the
home above on Berne
Street. Currently it is a
The photo at right is from the
blizzard on February 19,
1908. It is looking south on
Dock Street near the Christ
Lutheran Church now the
location of Jerusalem
|At left is a truck from
Harvey Moyer towing
a rail car on Center
Avenue south of the
At right is the
signal tower at the
crossing. Only a
small concrete block
remains at the
|This is the Soldier's
Memorial located on
|Both photos here are on Center Avenue in the vicinity of the current Reiley
and Sterner garage. The garage pictured above in 1925 is still there in a
different form. Note the gas station in the undated photo at left.
|These three images are taken from the St. John's UCC anniversary book of 1962. At the top left is the view of the old St. John's
Reformed Church at the corner of Main and Dock Streets, seen looking down High Street. Above right is the former Levan home which
was torn down in 1905 to make room for a new parsonage which still stands today. At bottom left, the old church and the Meyer home
on Main Street are shown. The building on the far left is the office of Dr. Kempes today. The home was removed in 1925 and the
church torn down in 1927 after the current church was finished directly behind it.
|At left, Bressler's Band gathers for a photo at the Kutztown fair, date unknown. At right, Michel's delivery truck takes time for a photo
at an unknown location and date.
|This picture was taken in about 1931 showing car dealer Earl
Stoyer and heavyweight boxing champ Jack Dempsey in front of
the Columbia Street location.
|This group of Schuylkill Haven gathered for a picture but the
date and exact location is unknown. They are identified from
left to right; First row: Bright Kantner, Willis Reed, Jim
Schuckers, Mark Detwiler, Percival Heisler, Second row: Austin
Faust, Merlie Fisher, Frank Witman, Claude Sausser, C. W.
Faust, Bast, Hood: Harry Kerschner and Harry Moyer.
|These two images depict the Long Run Hotel, located at the intersection of 183 and 443. Just after 1900, Joel Stoyer, father of Earl,
took ownership from his inlaws. The building remains today.
|This photo of the trolley was taken near Tumbling Run park at the
turn of the last century. The man on the left is identified as "Pappy"
|This set of photographs records the removal of homes on the south side of Columbia Street circa 1961. The land was then used
for a new office and parking lot for Walkin Shoe Company. Unger's Market was the building on the right in the bottom right
photo. It was not removed at this time but was years later.
|This image shows the interior of Palsgrove's Cigar store,
next to the Reading Railroad tracks, on the north side of
Main Street, in the early 1900's.
|This series of six pictures shows the dismantling of the old covered bridge and the construction of the new Columbia Street bridge
which was built in 1921.
|These two photos show the construction in August, 1921 of the new bridge at Connor's Crossing looking west towards Cressona.
|These two images are from August 3, 1925 and show the beginning of the removal of the rolling mill along the Reading Railroad
tracks behind where the high rise is located on Parkway today. This business was established circa 1869 and was considered the
oldest manufacturing company in Schuylkill Haven.
|These three images from March 8, 1925 show the Red Bridge and the Red Pond located in the area behind Edgewood and the
|These three images from April 26, 1931 show the old Pennsylvania Railroad arch at the northern end of town and the beginning of
the construction of the new bridge that spanned what would become Route 61.
|The photo at left
was taken on
March 28, 1920 at
corner of Canal
and Union Street.
The photo at right
was taken on
April 7, 1919 and
shows the home
at the northeast
corner of Dock
looking to the
rear from Paxson
|The photo at left
is of the high
September 2, 1923.
The photo at right
shows the high
images show the
transition of old
bridge to new
At top left is the
old iron bridge
on August 22,
1929, built in
At top right, this
April 13, 1930
image shows the
removal of that
The two images at
the bottom show
the new concrete
|This May 31, 1915 image shows the Citizen's Band of Schuylkill Haven
marching north on Garfield Avenue toward the entrance of the Union
Cemetery for Memorial Day services.
|The home is this image taken on September 27, 1914 was
located across the street from present day Boyer's
Market at the corner of Main and Tennis Avenue.
The description on the back said it was located on Willow
Avenue between Canal and Callowhill Streets. Canal was
renamed Parkway. I do not know the history of the other
two streets mentioned as far as names changing.
|These four images were taken near Union Street in 1931, prior to the removal of the old school and the building of the East Ward
school. Top left is on Union Street looking toward Pleasant Row. Top right is Union Street looking toward St. Peter Street. Bottom
left is the old school at Union and High Streets. Bottom right is looking south along High Street toward Wilson Street.
|These three images were taken at the Reading Company storage yards below Schuylkill Haven on September 12, 1915.
|This picture was taken on
September 20, 1929 and shows the
"new road" going to Pottsville
toward Cape Horn, present day
Route 61. Note the rocks used as
safety cones on the highway.