The Call of September 1, 1916

Schuylkill Haven has at least one honest boy in its midst and that boy is Thomas Meyers.  While walking along the pavement the other
day, the boy picked up a sum of money.  The amount was taken to the office of Chief Burgess Lessig.  Here it awaits ownership and
unless proper identification is made, the sum will be turned over to the boy.  After taking it to the chief burgess' office, the boy visited
The Call and made known his discovery.

To avoid striking a man and also a team on the state road between here and Friedensburg, a party by the name of Unger, residing in
Panther Valley, turned suddenly to the side of the road and ditched his machine.  The driver and a small boy, the only occupants of the
car, escaped with slight bruises.  The pedestrian was hit but not injured while the car will need some extensive repairs.

A horse valued at $200 and owned by Roy Bowen met a horrible death the other day.  The animal was tied to a hitching post near the
Peale homestead when it shied at a passing auto and rearing in the front, came down with its weight on the post.  The post ran almost
clear through the animal.  It was necessary after being released to kill the animal, which was done by veterinary surgeon Gwinner.

A man by the name of Morgans of Pottsville, was ordered out of town on Tuesday by Constable John Butz.  Morgans was accompanied
to Schuylkill Haven by an affinity and it was while the two were pouring their love into each other's ears, seated on a bench in Spring
Garden and in full view of passing pedestrians, that the constable made his appearance.  It is reported Morgans has a wife who is a
member of the Salvation Army in Pottsville.

The Call of September 8, 1916

While a party of Glenworth residents were attending services in Christ Lutheran church on Sunday evening, sneak thieves stole a
coat belonging to Miss Helen Connor, a member of the party, from an auto that had been left standing on Dock Street just opposite
the church.  The theft was apparently that of youths of whom a description has been furnished.  Unless the coat is immediately
returned, suit will be instituted.

Messrs. James Schucker and Harry Palsgrove were among the local residents who participated in the parade in Pinegrove on Labor
Day.  Mr. Schucker appeared with a handsome Overland Six auto, of which he is agent, while Mr. Palsgrove appeared with his Ford car
on which appeared the advertisement of "Four Pals" cigars.

The chart for reserved seats for the Schuylkill Hose Company musicale to be held in the Euclid Theatre, Wednesday evening,
September 13th, will open at the drug store of G. I. Bensinger on Main Street on Saturday morning at nine o'clock, September 9th.  
Judging from the advance sale of tickets the musicale promises to be largely attended.  The original date selected for the musicale
was Wednesday, August 30th, but was postponed for various reasons until the coming Wednesday evening.  The program as given is
sure to be well worth the price of admission and the musicians and singers who will give their services free of charge, should be
greeted with a large audience.  The Schuylkill Hose Company is in debt for the fire truck recently purchased.  The musicale is one
method being resorted to to procure funds to help wipe out the indebtedness.  The general admission tickets are being offered at 35
cents.  Reserved seat tickets will be 15 cents extra.

Cressona and Schuylkill Haven base ball teams were at it again.  Three games were played in tow days, Sunday and Monday and all
three were won by the home team.  The game Sunday afternoon was the first in a series of games arranged between the two teams.  It
was played at Tumbling Run and won by Schuylkill Haven 5 to 2.  
The games of Monday were both won by Schuylkill Haven.  They were not included in the series.  The first was won by a score of 3 to 2
and the second afternoon game by 4 to 2.  The three victories were big surprises to both the team and particularly the local public.  
After having won the county championship title, few fans expected Manager Mellon with a picked up aggregation to walk away with
Cressona on Sunday afternoon, or for that matter, Monday.  It is said Cressona on several occasions on Sunday threw away excellent
chances to score and win the game.  Neither team in either contest put up the usual calibre of ball which in former years was always
forthcoming.  This is due probably to the poor attendance.  This was discouraging indeed and the management of each team instead
of profiting by the contests lost money.  Twenty five hits were made in Sunday's game but were kept so scattered and by several
pieces of fast fielding kept the total score made by both teams down to seven runs.

Town council member Hoffman took the occasion of this week's meeting to remark about councilmen transacting the business of the
borough on the street corners instead of in the council chamber and at the council meetings.  He added that committees are
instructed and authorized to go ahead with certain matters when they do then at subsequent meetings fault is found with their actions
and very often by members who were not even present at the meeting at which the matter was turned over to them.  Councilmen, by
going around finding fault with the efforts of the councilmen who are sacrificing time and labor to do so, establish a bad precedent
and in turn their criticism can only be directed against them.  Also added if every councilman would concern himself more about the
business in hand at a council meeting instead of being ready to adjourn and get away they would be better acquainted with the
council proceedings.

At this week's council meeting the big business concerned a report of the condition of the water in the water dam.  This was reported
on at length by Solicitor Noecker who met Mr. McKnight, Superintendent of the Water Company in Reading and told him about the
taste and the odor of the water.  Mr. McKnight stated his company intended to treat the water Saturday morning.  That the cause of the
smell and taste was the fungus growth in the bottom of the dam and that the same trouble was experienced last year.  That his
company intended to treat the water as per instructions given by a State Health Inspector last year.  The treatment consists of drawing
copper sulfate through the water.  Saturday the sulfate of copper was placed in a bag and then placed in another bag with a rope at
each end.  This was then drawn through the water and was the cause of a large quantity of fish dying.  Persons who visited the dam
Sunday were surprised to find many dead fish floating on the top of the water and lying along the banks of the dam.  Mr.  McKnight
sent a man to the dam Sunday for the express purpose of cleaning out the fish.  

The Call of September 15, 1916

The true love and devotion of a wife, notwithstanding the many abuses she was subjected to, was demonstrated Tuesday morning
before Squire William Kline.  The party in question was a man named Sheafer, residing on Centre Avenue near the arch.  He was
accused of having struck and beat his wife and she in turn had him locked up.  At the hearing wifey relented and withdrew the charge
after the costs were paid.  Constable Butz made the arrest and stated that certain residents in the vicinity of the Sheafer home are
repeatedly disturbing the peace by rushing "growlers" and that unless the noise and nuisance is stopped, he will bring prosecution.

On Sunday night last a group of Pottsville rowdies were ordered to leave Schuylkill Haven by Chief Burgess Lessig.  About eight of
the gang came down Main Street in lock step and attempted to make all other pedestrians take to the gutter.  The crowd was broken
up and ordered to leave.  This they refused to do with the result that one of the gang, a party by the name of Francis Whalen, was
caught.  After being locked in a cell, he pleaded to be released.  After paying a small fine, the doors were opened to him.  The chief
burgess is determined to break of this kind of practice about the town and especially on Sunday night.

At an adjourned meeting of the school board on Friday evening last, a contract for the furnishing of hardware for the new high school
building was awarded to the Reading Hardware Company.  Their bid was $1,263 less five percent.  There was only one other bid, that
of the Corbin Hardware Company, whose bid was $1,393 net.  In awarding the contract the board stipulated that the firm was to submit
a list of the hardware to be furnished to the architect and that it would have to meet with his approval.  This the firm expressed a
willingness to do.
Five applications were received for the position of janitor at the new school.  They were Charles Lengle, Henry Snayberger, Albert
Hertzel, William Fehr and Edward G. Sterner.  No action was taken on any of the applications and none will be taken for sometime to
come as the service of a janitor will not be required for at least three months.  

Carl Linder, one of the employees at the Berger Brothers bleachery, proved "the right man at the right time" Tuesday morning when
he answered the appealing cries of a woman in distress.  The woman in question proved to be a Miss Richards, residing near the
works.  On his arrival at the house he was told that there was a snake in the room.  With the courage of a Roman knight, he ventured
forth to battle, only to find that instead of a real large snake, it was nothing more than an ordinary house snake, about six inches in
length.  The final chapter was enacted by Mr. Linder dispatching the snake and rescuing the young lady from her perilous position on
top of a chair.

The paper train arriving here this morning was just 45 minutes late and consequently the mail and papers were late in being
distributed.  The delay was caused by one of the knuckles on the mail car breaking, as the train was passing a station near Reading.  
When it arrived at Port Clinton another delay was experienced as an empty coal car in the middle of the track had jumped the track
and ran for nearly two miles on the ties before being discovered.  The train was in charge of a local crew.

The Call of September 29, 1916

About 30 residents of the town, many living on upper Main Street, Fairmount and Stanton Streets, helped themselves to potatoes that
were being taken from the fields of the county almshouse.  In certain cases there were three and four members of a family in the raid
on the potato fields.  Constable John Butz procured the names of the majority and paid a special visit to each one's house.  Just what
action will be taken by the Poor Directors against these people remains to be seen.  They are guilty of theft in every sense of the word
and some wire pulling may be indulged to avoid a law suit.

Late yesterday afternoon the authorities were requested to be on the lookout for Alice Underkoffer, aged about 55 years, who had
escaped from the count asylum.  The woman is about five feet eight inches tall and weighs about 150 pounds.  She was attired in
asylum garb.

Schuylkill Haven is to have another evangelical campaign.  It is about two years since the successful campaign conducted by the local
pastors in the local churches.  The proposed campaign this year is to be conducted along real Billy Sunday lines, that is, tabernacle,
sawdust trail, an experienced and imported evangelist and a corps of specially trained assistants.  For some time the matter has been
under consideration by several of the ministers of this town and a number of prominent and active church members.  As stated
above, an out of town evangelist of high repute, wide experience and deep conscientious convictions has been secured.  There will
be a party of five who will take charge of the campaign assisted by local pastors and churches who will cooperate.  For the time being
the name of the evangelist will not be made public.  It is proposed to build the usual class of tabernacle used for campaigns of this
kind.  It will seat from twelve to thirteen hundred.  The site or location for the same has not yet been selected but it is known the
committee is making an effort to lease the plot of ground near the roller rink for the purpose.  The campaign will open December 31st
and will be held for a period of five or six weeks.