The Call of September 5, 1913


The school opened Tuesday with the largest enrollment in the history of Schuylkill Haven.  917 boys nd girls reported for school with
35 more expected to start in the near future.  Last year's enrollment the first day was 861 and the year before it was 830.  Note the
decided increase.  One of the most remarkable instances of high mark enrollment was in Mr. Bensinger's school where 54 were listed
for that room and everyone reported.  In the whole of the eighth grade, 92 out of 97 reported.  Where will next year's ninth grade go?  
It will be larger than all of this year's high school.  The high school has 10 seniors, 16 juniors, 26 subjuniors and 30 ninth graders,
totaling 82.  Miss Butz's room Number 1 has nearly every seat full.
Eleven schools have 45 or more.  Six rooms have 50 or ore.  The schools of the North and East Wards are fuller than those of the
South Ward.  There were 130 school certificates issued to new pupils, which is quite an army to enter our schools.  Not so very many
pupils have stopped to go to work.  This seems to show an increased desire for intelligence among our boys and girls.  Several of
the rooms have scarcely any seats or only a very few left.  How does that argue with reference to the need for a new building?
Our teachers were all ready with books and supplies laid out for their pupils and lessons were taken up almost immediately after
school opened.  There was not a minute of time lost.  A meeting of the teachers was held after school on Monday and matters
pertaining to the year's work were discussed.  Miss Clara Bordner was elected secretary of the association.  A large chart was hung
in the High School room, Number 1, the first day of school.  It illustrates the character of questions asked of applicants for positions
by employers.  It is called "The Personal Record Chart."  "The Cigarette Fiend", a striking portrait was framed and hung in his school
room by Professor Ziegenfus.  It should serve as a warning example to the boys.


Considerable excitement was caused here Wednesday when the Hungarian residing on the P & R Company farm near the shutes was
arrested for forcibly detaining a gasoline engine belonging to Milton Strausser of North Manheim.  Some time ago the Hungarian,
whose correct name could not be learned, loaned the gasoline engine of the above named to do some threshing.  Wednesday, the
Hungarian sent his team of mules to Strausser and desired the loan of his separator.  After some parlaying, Strausser gave his
consent and they started home with the separator.  It is alleged the mules were driven at a good gait over the entire route and when
they reached Schuylkill Haven, the separator was already badly damaged by the severe jolting.  At the Maberry blacksmith shop,
below the P. & R. Railroad, Strausser's man, who accompanied the party as a bluff, had the team stopped to make repairs.  Word had
been sent to Mr. Strausser and he arrived shortly.  The matter was explained to him and he refused to allow the Hungarian to take the
machine to his farm.  This so enraged him that he stated he would keep the gasoline engine.
A warrant was sworn out and Oficer Butz, being out of town, the state police were called upon to serve it.  The state police did not
arrive until Wednesday evening and at this time Officer Butz was also in town.  Both representatives of the law started out for the
company farm about 9:30 o'clock.  On the way an amusing incident occurred when the team in which Strausser and Officer Butz were
riding got too close to the edge of the rod and toppled over a stone retaining wall and rolled down the bank.  Both occupants were
buried beneath the wagon and badly bruised.  Before the wagon could be righted and the horse gotten to its feet a portion of the
stone wall had to be torn down.  After several hours delay, the state cops, Strausser and Officer Butz proceeded on their way.  The
gasoline engine was secured and the Hungarian got off with the costs and three dollars damages, Mr. Strausser not wishing to push
the case further.


Charles Cemin, a foreigner residing in the West Ward and who for the past fifteen years has been a resident of this town, was
arrested Friday evening for carrying concealed deadly weapons, upon oath of Charles Mengle.  The story of the affair was given to
the Call man as follows:
Cemin quit work at the P. & R. car shops some time ago with the strikers but later returned to work.  Friday evening when he was in
town, he was taunted by several of the strikers but said nothing.  He left Cafe Mellon but forgot his kettle and several packages.  He
returned for them but when he reached the railroad bridge, quite a crowd of strikers were gathered and began to stone him.  He
returned to his home and procured a revolver.  This fact was learned and the arrest was made.  A peculiar feature of the affair is that
the suit was brought before Squire Collins of Palo Alto.  He was charged with surety carrying concealed weapons.  Collins on the
surety charge fined him $8.00.  On the other charge the case was held up but it was intimated it would be returned to Court.  
Investigation proves that the case has not been returned to Court.  It has also been learned that P. & R. Officer Duffy is working on
the case in the interests of his company. A new phase of the case will no doubt be developed within several days.

The Call of September 12, 1913


Wednesday of this week marked the ninth anniversary of the ever popular and up to date clothing store of E. G. Underwood being
located in Schuylkill Haven.  While up until several months ago this store was conducted by Doutrich and Company, the present
owner, Mr. Underwood, who was the manager from the outstart and is now the sole owner, is deserving of all the credit for the fine
clothing and gents furnishing store which Schuylkill Haven, among many other things, can boast of.  It was on Saturday, September
10th, 1904 that the formal opening of this store was held.  Since the opening, by courteous treatment, entire satisfaction by giving full
value for the money, prompt and efficient service, carrying only the most up to date and latest styles in clothing and furnishings, this
store has grown by leaps and bounds in popularity not only with Schuylkill Haven people, but of folks in surrounding towns an
districts for miles distant.
It has always been the aim of this popular manager, now the owner of the store, to please and give entire satisfaction.  That he has
succeeded admirably is evidenced by the large patronage which the store enjoys.  The placing of clothing cabinets and the
rearranging of the various departments of the store is just another bit of evidence of the effort that is constantly being made to
better the service and to please the customers of this store.  Congratulations are in order and are most gratuitously extended to Mr.
Underwood in honor of his ninth anniversary event.


Operations for the construction of the new freight depot here were begun this week when work of clearing away the rubbish on the
company's property, recently the site of the Stitzer Hotel, and the giving of the proper lines and elevations to the contractor by the
surveyors was begun.  The building of the Schucker coal yards will be the first move in the building operations and as soon as these
chutes are completed the freight station proper will be built.  Contractor Campion has engaged Harry Becker of Schuylkill Haven as
foreman.  Mr. Becker recently finished his contract as foreman of construction at the new County Hospital and turned down several
very good offers as foreman on large jobs in order to accept this position.  Mr. Becker's thorough knowledge of contracting and
building will be of invaluable assistance to contractor Campion in his work here.  The new Schucker chutes will be of the latest kind
and will be located at least one hundred and fifty feet from the Main Street curb line.


While at work in the trench where the sewer is being placed across the P. & R. property on lower Main Street this morning, a portion
of the side of the trench caved in and buried several of the borough employees under several tons of dirt.  Oscar Kramer was
completely covered with the dirt and almost suffocated before his head was uncovered.  He was badly bruised and had to be
removed to his home.  William Riebsaamen and Daniel Kramer were covered with the dirt to their waists but had to be extricated from
their perilous position by fellow employees.

The Call of September 19, 1913


Fire Saturday evening about 10:30 o'clock at the home of James Boyer in the West Ward badly gutted the home and ruined a large
portion of clothing and furniture.  The loss is estimated at $400.  The fire companies promptly responded.  Their efficient work saved
the home from entire destruction.  Many people were heard to remark that it was difficult to distinguish the location of the fire from
the fire signal blown by the fire whistle.  The family having retired, were rescued from the flames with difficulty and their escape is
said to have been miraculous.


It is altogether probable vaudeville will be conducted in the Opera House on saint Peter Street this winter during the entire season.  
Only high class and feature acts will be put on.  Mr. Magee Losch will manage the opera house for the season.  He is having
extensive improvements made to the interior of the Opera House and when completed it will be as comfortable and convenient as
any theatre hereabouts.  A new steam heating plant will be installed, considerable plastering and papering will be done, an entire
new set of drop curtains together with a new curtain will be placed.  Quite a number of other improvements will also be made. The
theatre will open for the season by November 1st when a special production will be secured for the opening night.


This week Mr. Frank Scott of Mahanoy City purchased of I. L. Lautenbacher, the confectionery store and ice cream parlor on Main
Street.  Mr. Scott will assume charge the fore part of the coming week.  Mr. Scott proposes to make a number of interior alterations.  
He will conduct a modern and first class restaurant in addition to the confectionery store and ice cream parlor.  He will also have for
sale home made cakes, pies and bread.  The restaurant will be open both weekdays and Sundays.  An addition will be erected to the
present Lautenbacher building and the same will be occupied by both Mr. Scott and family and Mr. Lautenbacher and his family.


Nicholas Bojaick, twelve years of age residing in the West Ward, was run over by an automobile Wednesday afternoon about one
o'clock.  Bojaick in company of another lad were riding in a wagon.  Alighting from the same near Frank Kipp's hotel on Main Street,
they stepped directly in front of the automobile of Andrew Bayer of Lehighton.  Bojaick was struck and the machine ran over him.  He
was at once removed to the Pottsville Hospital.  While no bones were broken the wheels passed over his abdomen and it is feared
peritonitis may set in from the badly inflamed condition of his internal organs.  The owner of the car was absolved from all blame for
the accident by witnesses at the same.  He was running quite slow and the child ran directly in front of the car.  Dr. McWilliams was
the attending physician.  He was taken to the hospital in the auto of Jake Lindermuth.


The new shoe factory on lower Main Street has been in operation for about ten days and in this time quite a quantity of shoes have
been turned out.  The Sharadin building by being renovated has made a roomy and well lighted factory.  Only the latest shoe
machinery has been placed.  The power is furnished by electric motors.  Childrens' turn shoes, both black and colored tops are being
manufactured.  The fitting room is in charge of Miss M. E. Miles.  Mr. R. I. Phillips has charge of the cutting department.  Mr. Percy
Heisler is foreman of the making room and Mr. Frank Witman is in charge of the packing and shipping department.  It is proposed to
increase the capacity of the factory as soon as the necessary machinery can be procured as this firm has an abundance of orders for
their output.


A visit to the large and adequate reservoir of the Schuylkill Haven Gas and Water Company in the Panther Valley this week, revealed
the fact that there was hardly a sufficient amount of water in it to sail an ordinary toy sail boat.  There was possibly about three feet of
water in the dam.  This condition has existed for the past wek or two and unless this section is visited by a several days' rain the
water question may become a very serious matter for this winter.
 The pump at the reservoir is being run both day and night and a
fair stream of water forced from one of the artesian wells.  A stream sufficient to fill a three inch pipe flows into the dam from the
Hummel Run storage dam.  A stream of about an equal volume flows into the dam from the regular stream near the dam.  The pumping
station at the Hummel Run stream is also being run.  Both pumps are being worked both day and night but no evident gain can be
made on account of water in the dam.


Tuesday evening about eleven o'clock fire was discovered in the stable of John Noecker in the South Ward.  Before the alarm was
given the stable was a mass of flames and very little of the contents of the stable was saved.  A horse valued at $200, a quantity of
hay, straw, feed and a buggy were burned.  When the fire companies arrived the stable was a total loss.  A stream of water however
was played on the burning embers to prevent the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings.  For a time it was thought either one or
two well known characters of town had perished in the flames but this later was found to be untrue.  It is strongly intimated that the
stable must have been set on fire as the flames when discovered were shooting from the bottom of the stable from all sides.  A quiet
investigation is being made but it is doubtful whether the guilty parties will be apprehended.  The loss will amount to more than $500.