The Call of November 1, 1918

Despite the serious epidemic of influenza, Halloween was celebrated here by a number of young folks, who in all sorts of comical
and pretty costumes paraded about town last evening and livened things up a bit.  Quite a number of out of town masqueraders
were noticed in the throng.  Despite the efforts of local authorities in the early evening to prevent crowds congregating, the
opportunity to gather in crowds was too strong to resist.  A number of the girls by reason of their costumes, or rather, lack of
costume, certainly appeared desirous of catching cold or the flu.  The merrymaking, however, no later than ten thirty.

Upon the opening of the public schools, a system of War Stamp selling will be inaugurated among the pupils by Postmaster Ebling.  
The plan will be conducted on a merit basis and along the same plan as is being followed in other districts.  Merit buttons will be
given for a specified number of stamps sold.  Army service titles will be given for various amounts of stamps disposed of within
certain stipulated periods.  The supply of buttons arrived this week and the scholars will be asked to begin their campaign as soon
as the schools are opened.
W. L. Moyer this week disposed of his two Mack jitney buses to the agent of the Mack Company, who it is understood has immediate
call for them.  This transaction then is the last chapter in the history of the buses which hauled hundreds of persons between here
and Pottsville and carried many picnic parties to and fro and which at this time had been looked to as the only rival means of
transportation when the increased trolley fare would go into effect.

J. D. Reed, of the Union Knitting Mills, this week paid to each one of his employees, who by reason of being confined to their homes
with illness, or who were required to attend to sick members of their families, and were thus unable to work, a ten dollar bill.  There
are 106 employees at this mill.  Every employee with the exception of six were ill at some time or other during the epidemic.  An
even thousand dollars was distributed to flu victims.  This was not done by Mr. Reed because his employees got sick but shows that
he appreciates what an additional handicap is placed on individuals and families by reason of the high cost of living, when sickness
steps in and prevents a continuance of earning power.  Needless to say, his action was appreciated by all.

The Call of November 8, 1918

At a special meeting of the Health Board on Monday evening, it was decided to lift the closing ban placed on local institutions by
reason of the influenza epidemic.  Permission was granted to churches to hold services beginning Wednesday of this week.  
Several of the churches took advantage of the opportunity to hold the midweek prayer service on this evening.  Sunday school and
church services will be conducted in all churches this coming Sunday at the usual hour.  It is expected the services of the day will
be largely attended.  Permission was also granted to open the public and parochial schools Wednesday.  The Board of Education,
however, felt it advisable to keep the schools closed until Monday, November 11th, instead of opening on Wednesday of this week.  
By orders of the state the closing ban on picture shows, saloons, etc., was lifted at noon today.

Mr. Lengle of the council's epidemic committee submitted detailed reports of the meetings held by the joint committees and the
action taken on various matters.  He stated he estimated the expenses of the epidemic would amount to between $1000 and $1500.  
The statement by Mr. Lengle that Dr. C. Lenker was made chairman of the committee brought forth the question from the council
president as to how this came about when the doctor was not a member of the Health Board.  It was stated the doctor had been
appointed on the committee by the president of the Board of Health.

Schuylkill Haven is the first town in the county to procure and have erected an honor roll for its boys in the service of Uncle Sam.  
The roll is read by hundreds of persons daily.  Several errors have been discovered on the spelling and several omissions have
been reported.  These will be corrected and every effort made to keep the roll up to date and correct in every detail.  Persons
discovering errors or discrepancies in the roll should notify H. D. Felix of the same.  The suggestion has been made that someone
photograph the honor roll and have the same printed on post cards and offer the same for sale.  
The following inscription would be printed underneath it: "Here's a greeting from the home folks, that is very far from now, just a
Merry Christmas we wish you this day.  This is a picture of our Honor Roll and your name is on it.  Good Luck to you boy and to Old
Glory," with a space for a signature and that friends and relatives send one to their soldier boy in time for a Christmas greeting.

Paul Clouser, of Fairview Street, was this week sent back from Camp Harry J. Jones of Douglas, Arizona, on account of his age, he
being too young.  Clouser enlisted in July of 1918 and was assigned to Troop P of the First Cavalry.  Evidently at the time he was
older than what he is now as he was given an honorable discharge when the officers in some way or another learned that he was
not up to the required age.

Local milk dealers have raised the price of milk from twelve to fourteen cents per quart.  The new rate became effective November
1st and is due to the war it is said.  A Liberty Street housewife, however, states that the increase is due to the fact that chickens are
not producing many eggs and the deficiency of the milk dealer's receipts had to be increased in some way so an extra two cents
was tacked onto milk.

The Call of November 15, 1918

During the celebrations on the end of the war of Thursday and Monday evenings, the explosions of dynamite on the ball park
caused the window panes of a number of residences along Dock Street and the glass in the skylight of the Saint Matthew's Lutheran
Church to go to pieces.  The suggestion is made that the next time this method of celebration is resorted to, several sticks less of
the noisy stuff be used.  

A farmer while celebrating the victory over Germany at one of the saloons in Spring Garden forgot all about his team of horses
outside.  When he decided to drive home he discovered to his great surprise that the horses had decided it was about time for eats
and had gone home.  The team was noticed about half a mile outside of town on its way without a driver.

Early Monday evening a Ford auto while passing Paxson Avenue, broke down and was taken in front of the town hall and
abandoned by the occupants, two men and two women.  It remained there unclaimed until Wednesday afternoon when the owner,
Alex Thompson of Branchdale, brought it.  Every indication pointed to the auto having been stolen as the robes or blankets, an
extra tire and tools, a can and a rubber band were left in the car.  Through the Pottsville police department the owner was notified
of the whereabouts of his car.  He stated the car had been sent to a Pottsville garage for repairs last week and was taken from the
garage and abandoned here after it broke down.

Carl Whalen, of Pottsville, a soldier in the service, struck Douglas Kauffman over the side of his face with a plate on Monday
evening, inflicting two deep cuts that required several stitches to close.  It appears Whalen asked for drink and was refused by the
proprietor.  He then asked for a glass of water and was given the same.  He then picked up a glass of beer belonging to another
man at the bar and emptying his own glass of water, poured the glass of beer into the empty glass.  Mr. Kauffman interfered and told
him he was not going to get any drink in his place, whereupon Kauffman was called several vile names and the next instant was
struck as above mentioned.

Now that the war has been won the restrictions on the street lighting have been removed to a certain extent and the streets here
will be better illuminated.  Employees of the department today made the rounds of the town and inserted lamps in the sockets
where there had not been any for some time and also replaced a number of burned out lamps with new ones.

The Call of November 22, 1918

For years there has been under discussion among local Masonic circles about the possibility and feasibility of the lodge purchasing
the Coxe property on Main Street to be used as a Masonic lodge.  The matter dropped during the period of the war and now that the
conflict has been won, the subject has again been heard under discussion.  The matter is now being discussed by a number of the
fraternal group and rumors are rife that some action may shortly be taken.  The fact that the second and third floors of this building
are unoccupied at present, it is felt that this is a good time to proceed.