The Call of May 4, 1917

In the custody of Constable John H. Butz, Clayton Moll, was taken before Judge Koch at Pottsville,
yesterday, charged with playing truant from the Schuylkill Haven public schools.  Moll was instructed to
attend school every day and at the close of the school term to go to work.  Moll was given to
understand that the very next time he is reported from school he will be placed under arrest and then
sent away to a reformatory.  The school board is determined to break up truancy and have decided to
arrest all truants.

During the deliverance of his patriotic address in saint Matthew's Lutheran Church on Sunday last,
reverend B. C. Ritz informed the members of his congregation that he had received a number of letters
from German Societies requesting him to use his influence against any legislation that would be
detrimental to the German government.  Reverend Ritz stated that he had received a number of these
communications, all which readily found their way to the waste basket or the fire.  He was told that
anything he could possibly do would be appreciated and that any expense incurred would be
immediately paid.  Reverend Ritz believed that the members of this German Society thought he was of
German descent and as he was t the head of a German church, he would willingly comply with the
request.  Reverend Ritz is every inch an American and at no time during his has his thoughts or actions
been anything but American.  This German Society did not rightly consider their man when they made
requests of this nature from a resident of Schuylkill Haven of whom we are very proud.

George B. Rauch, this week received orders for one hundred cars of coal dirt as is being taken from the
baseball diamond.  This does not include orders for nearly that many more cars that were recently

Residents in the vicinity of Center and Garfield Avenue were given an illustration of just how an auto
can run backwards, shortly after one o'clock Sunday morning last.  The auto ran backwards from Center
Avenue to the Lehigh Valley arch where it required just twenty minutes for the male occupants to say
goodnight to the female occupants.  Evidently the auto shies at tombstones or the machine might have
run backwards somewhat further.

The Call of May 11, 1917

Schuylkill Haven instead of having one Clean Up Day this year is to have four, from Monday, May 14th, to
Thursday, May 17th.  The entire four days are to be devoted to cleaning and brightening up the town
and in this work, the hearty cooperation of every man, woman and child in the community is solicited.  
There are a number of alleys, yards (front and back), open or vacant lots that can stand a good cleaning
up of the rubbish, ashes and filth with which they are littered.  As most of the housecleaning is over, or
as most housewives have the greater part of their homes cleaned for the summer, attention is called to
the cellar and the yard which are fine breeding places for disease germs.  Instead of allowing rubbish,
paper, etc., to lie around in the cellar or at the back of the house it should be cleaned up.  That is what
these Clean Up Days are for.
All ashes, rubbish, etc., must not only be cleaned from the yards but also from the premises.  It must be
hauled to the garbage plot.  It is not to be placed on the curb with the expectation that teams engaged
for this purpose will haul it away free of charge.  Each and every tenant must provide not only for the
proper cleaning up of his home and premises but also for the disposal of the material thus gathered.  
Disease and dirt are twins and as this town does not want to have a repetition of epidemics such as
visited the town last year, it behooves everyone to join in willingly in this four day clean up movement.

Twenty of the teachers, employed in the public schools of Schuylkill Haven, petitioned the members of
the school board at their regular meeting on Monday evening last, for a substantial increase in salary
for the coming year.  The petition asked for a decision at the early convenience of the board.  In all
probability the increase will be granted.  
A meeting of the board is scheduled for this coming Monday night when a budget for the ensuing term
will be gone carefully over.  At the same time the tax rate will be considered and the question of an
increase to the teachers given careful consideration.  IT was remarked by one of the teachers but a
short time ago when she was receiving only $36.00, she was better off than at the present time when
she is receiving $50.00.  Members of school boards throughout the county are increasing the salaries of
their teachers in keeping with the increased cost of living.  During the past two weeks the teachers at
Tamaqua were given a five percent increase.

This year the graves of the soldiers in the Episcopal cemetery on Dock Street will not be decorated on
account of permission to enter the cemetery being refused the Grand Army by the owners of the
cemetery.  There are five veterans whose graves this year will not be strewn with flags and over which
the usual short memorial services will not be held nor a salute fired.  It will be the first time in many
years that permission has been refused the Post to exercise and pay tribute to these soldiers.  Refusal
is based on the fact that the dozen or dozen and a half persons who generally enter this sacred resting
place of the dead, tramp down the graves and otherwise spoil the grass plots.  The graves of the
soldiers on the Saint Ambrose Catholic and Union cemeteries will be decorated as usual, the former in
the morning and the latter in the afternoon.

The Call of May 18, 1917

A story is going the rounds about several Spring Garden girls who on Sunday evening last left for
church.  They first attired themselves in their Sunday best, applied a little French rouge, pinned a bunch
of flowers on their dress, and getting several pennies from pa, started off.  The girls did not reach home
until Monday morning and they gave as their excuse that there was a new minister and church kept in
rather late.  There's nothing like having a soldier boy for a beau, especially when he resides only in

The Call of May 25, 1917

Further action in the matter of paving Canal Street was taken by Town Council at its special meeting
Monday evening when the engineer for the job was selected.  Bids were received from a number of
engineers of the county and the lowest was the successful or fortunate bidder, namely George Butz of
Schuylkill Haven.  
Immediately upon his selection, Mr. Butz was called on the phone and requested to meet the council in
session.  He arrived in a short time and was given instructions to proceed immediately to make the
necessary surveys, fix lines and grades and to prepare the plans and specifications.  As soon as this
work is completed bids will be invited for the paving work.  In connection with inviting bids for the
improvement of the streets named by brick paving, bids will also be asked for the concreting of these
same streets.  It was suggested that an eight or six inch covering of concrete would make a most
excellent street and would be somewhat cheaper than brick paving.  Concrete roads throughout the
county have given the best of service and in most cases it is said they have proven superior to brick
paving in many ways.  Within the next several weeks it is quite possible the councilmen will visit
sections in this state where concrete roads have been built and are giving satisfaction.  It is the
intention of the council to first investigate the concrete road proposition thoroughly.

Between fifty and sixty of the inmates of the Almshouse witnessed the parade here on Saturday
afternoon, last.  The inmates, both men and women, were in charge of their keepers and
notwithstanding all the excitement, behaved wonderfully well.  Following the parade, two abreast, they
walked back to the institution

A large number of people watched with interest yesterday morning a painter or steeplejack as he gilded
the cross and stand on top of saint Ambrose Catholic Church.  The wind was blowing very string at the
time and the work was very dangerous.  However the steeplejack stayed at work and completed the
same in due time.

Charles H. Moyer, of Center Avenue, who has been a fugitive from justice for the past several weeks,
was caught by the police of Coatesville, on Wednesday afternoon and brought back to Schuylkill Haven
Thursday morning by Constable Butz.  He was arraigned before Squire Kline on the charge of desertion
and nonsupport.  Unable to furnish bail he was committed to the county prison.  The charge against
Moyer was preferred by his wife.  Some time ago Mrs. Moyer was compelled to undergo a serious
operation at the Pottsville Hospital.  In ill health, following her return, her husband became discouraged
and left for parts unknown.  Through clever detective work on the part of Constable Butz, Moyer was
located through relatives as being in Coatesville.  Word was sent there and less than an hour
afterwards news of his arrest was received.  Moyer claims he is willing to support the woman but will
never live with her.

Three minor accidents occurred in this section during the week in which the one party was directly
concerned with all three.  The first occurred near Roselyn when in backing, the pole of the wagon of
contractor Daniel Philips broke.  The team continued backing with the result that the wagon went over
the side of a bank, causing the one horse to be pulled in to the air.  Things were no sooner righted then
the drivers discovered a runaway horse, said to be owned by a party named Fisher, of Seven Stars,
came dashing down the road.  The horse was caught and taken to the Gehrig stables.  The Philips team
started for home and when opposite the Catholic church, a trolley came into collision with the wagon.  
Comparatively little damage was done in either accident, other than the breaking of the pole.

James Schucker was the real hero in an exciting runaway accident on Monday morning when he
captured a horse that was minus its bridle and led the animal to a stable.  A ragman from Pottsville was
soliciting orders on Berne Street.  While in a house, the horse took fright and started off.  Near the
Bittle ice house the wagon turned on its side.  The breaking of the shafts liberated the horse who
started on a mad dash towards "home sweet home."  Just as it was nearing the Schucker garage, Roy
Eiler seated in an auto, sounded the horn and the animal stopped dead.  Jim plunged forward, presto,
the wild beast was conquered.  The wagon was badly damaged and the horse slightly injured.