The Call of March 20, 1914


The blizzard which struck this county Sunday last, as we all know, was the most severe since that of 1888.  Schuylkill Haven people
who had occasion to venture out either Sunday evening or Monday will long remember the blinding snowstorm driven by a forty mile
gale, the snow drifts and the almost impassable condition of the pavements and streets.  Navigation either Sunday or Monday was
accomplished with difficulty.
WITHOUT TROLLEYS  While Schuylkill Haven was not completely cut off from the outside world by snow, the railroads and trolley
lines were tied up to such an extent that local industries were handicapped, and many local people employed in other towns were
compelled to remain home for the greater part of Monday.  For the first time in many years the town was without trolley
communication to Pottsville for almost twenty four hours.  About midnight Sunday the car for Pottsville jumped the track on Willow
Street and it was not until Monday evening that it was righted.  The first trolley arrived in Schuylkill Haven Monday at eleven o'clock
but could get no further than the corner of Main and Dock Streets.  By Tuesday morning however, the cars were able to complete
the run to Saint John Street and the regular schedule was maintained beginning Tuesday.  
Trolley communication to Orwigsburg was completely cut off until Wednesday evening, a car having jumped the tracks at Adamsdale
on Sunday evening.  Snow drifts in Adamsdale were eight to twelve feet high and the sight of snow banked to fifteen feet high can
now be seen.
TRAIN SERVICE CRIPPLED  Early Monday morning employees of both the Pennsylvania and Reading railroads were called out to
assist in opening the roads.  Because of a snowdrift at Berne, train number one due here at 8:14 did not arrive until 11:45.  Almost
two hundred persons, professionals, clerks and laborers shared alike Monday morning in not being able to get to work in Pottsville
to take up their weekly duties until the arrival of number one train.  The local station was taxed to its capacity sheltering these folks.
MAIN LINE  South bound traffic on the P & R was also delayed about 8:30 when the engine for train number 92, while backing into the
station jumped the track at Pottsville Junction.  This train did not arrive in Schuylkill Haven until 10:45 o'clock.  North and south
bound trains were several hours late throughout the entire day.
INDUSTRIES CLOSED  Every one of the town's industries were seriously handicapped Monday by an insufficient number of
employees.  Several industries closed for the day.  Schools were dismissed about nine o'clock.  Fully one third of the pupils of the
higher grades were absent and one half of the lower grades were absent.  Several roofs of the houses were loosened by the wind
Sunday morning and carried away.  Several sections of the fence surrounding the baseball park succumbed to the severe gale.  One
of the electric light department's lines were blown down and a number of persons were without light Sunday evening.  Both local
telephone companies suffered to some extent by having several lines blown down.
CONFLAGRATIONS AVERTED  Schuylkill Haven indeed was in luck, it having escaped what might have resulted in serious
conflagration, dreadful loss of property and perhaps much suffering and loss of life.  About six o'clock Sunday evening fire was
discovered at the home of Mr. Sheafer on Willow Street.  A still alarm was sent in and members of the Rainbow Hose Company
responded quickly and extinguished the blaze.
About an hour after the discovery of the fire on Willow Street a small blaze was discovered in the writing room of Hotel Grand.  Little
tongues of flame were already eating their way across the floor of this room when it was discovered by several occupants.  Several
buckets of water quenched the blaze.  The fire here is supposed to have been caused by someone dropping a cigar on the floor and
attempting to outen it by stamping.  The sparks flew across the floor but nothing was thought of the occurrence at the time.
Members of the Rainbow Hose Company are to be complimented for their thoughtfulness Sunday evening when about twenty
members of the company remained at the firehouse throughout the night and morning and were prepared for instant response to an
alarm of fire.
BLIZZARD PREDICTED BY LOCAL MAN  The blizzard was predicted by Reverend R. Hicks, the famous Saint Louis astronomer and
prophet, in his forecast for March 1914 made May 3, 1913.  It was also predicted by a local man, Gus Luckenbill, who on Saturday was
given the laugh by a number of persons when he stated that within a day we would be in the grip of a most severe blizzard.

The Call of March 20, 1914


The Boy Scouts of Schuylkill Haven are now located in new quarters, they having rented the Schuylkill Roller Rink.  A room on the
first floor has been secured for meeting purposes and drills are held in the second floor auditorium.  This organization is enjoying a
rapid growth and Scoutmaster Hays is to be commended for organizing and perfecting the same in this town.  During the recent cold
weather when the fields were covered with snow, a patrol of Boy Scouts each and every day tramped to the outskirts of the town
and scattered grain for the birds so that they would not perish while being unable to secure food for themselves by reason of the
snow covered fields.  For this act the boys must be complimented.


A slight fire occurred Wednesday evening at the residence of Reverend C. T. Weidner on Dock Street about nine o'clock.  The fire
was discovered by friends gathered at the home of the reverend gentleman when the room began to fill with smoke.  An
investigation showed that the fire was in the outer kitchen and when discovered, the flames were rapidly eating their way along the
walls, ceiling and flooring.  An alarm was sent in, but before the companies arrived, reverend Weidner and the neighbors had
extinguished the flames.  With the high wind of Wednesday evening, the prompt discovery of the fire was most fortunate.  Had it
occurred several hours later when neighbors had retired, a serious conflagration would surely have resulted.  The cause is
unknown.  The damage will amount to about one hundred dollars.


Charles Wiederhold, aged 53 years of Reading, died in the lobby of Hotel Grand, Saturday night about nine o'clock.  Wiederhold was
taken from the trolley in an inebriated condition.  While being taken from the car it was noticed that he appeared to be almost
lifeless.  Physicians were summoned, but found upon their arrival, that the an was dead.  He was taken to the undertaking
establishment of D. M. Wagner and afterwards to the home of relatives in Pottsville.  Wiederhold had been in Pottsville Saturday
evening visiting relatives and was on his way to visit relatives in Schuylkill Haven.  Deceased was born and raised in Pottsville but
for the past fourteen years he was a resident of Reading.  He was a copper in his younger days but recently acted as a solicitor for
the Philadelphia Record.
Coroner Moore conducted an inquest into the death of Mr. Wiederhold Monday evening.  The jury found that death was due to
alcoholism.  The jury in its verdict censured saloon keepers for furnishing liquor to habitual drunkards.  The jury was composed of
Morris Saylor, Jere Huling, Charels Shappel, Frank Heim, Joseph Mulholland and F. W. Swartz.

The Call of March 27, 1914


At an adjourned meeting of the School Board held last Saturday night, the matter of an election for a new school building was laid
aside for the present.  The Solicitor's opinion on the legality of holding the election at the time of the primary election was read.  He
holds that the primary is neither a municipal nor a general election, that the regular election boards can not legally hold the school
election at the time of the primary.  Therefore in view of probably legal complications which would require the appointment of other
election officers, the School Board considered it to be the best to defer action for the present.  
The Athletic Association of the High School held another meeting on Tuesday at which E. G. Underwood and Reverend F. S.
Longsdorf were elected as managers of the baseball team.  After this meeting the players of last year's baseball team still remaining
in school, elected Max Longsdorf Captain of the team.
The High School Literary Society held a program today.  The question for debate was, Resolved that every High School student
should earnestly work for the interest of high school athletics.