Pottsville Republican of July 3, 1912


Schuylkill Haven council at the regular meeting on Monday evening, decided to allow the space between the
trolley tracks and eighteen inches on either side to be paved.  This was decided upon after a communication
from Superintendent W. B. Rockwell of the Traction Company had been read, in which it was stated that the
rails on Dock Street in Schuylkill Haven had arrived and that the company was anxious to get at the work just
as soon as possible.  Solicitor Noecker stated that he had been in communication with Mr. Coryell of the now
General Construction Company, the name having recently been changed
and from Mr. Coryell, he has ascertained that the company would be willing to go ahead and pave between the
tracks and eighteen inches on either side and then wait until such time as the court decides who is to pay for
the paving of the street.  Nothing will be done to the streets.  After the new track is laid and the same paved,
the dirt will be thrown up even with the rails, making both the street and the tracks the same height and
causing no inconvenience to either pedestrians or teams.  In all probability, the work will be started the first
of next week as the Traction Company stated they wanted to start as soon after July 4th as possible.
Should council decide to enforce the ordinance compelling every property owner in the town there to have
six inch curbing, practically every owner of property along Dock Street would be compelled to put in new
curbing.  Borough Engineer Geary of Pottsville submitted to council a report in which he gave the names of all
property owners where the
curb is only four, and in some places, less than four inches in thickness.  There is a probability that at places
where the curb is in good condition and is not out of place that council will allow it to remain but in other
places they will demand the resetting of the curb and in others the placing of new curb.  Those who will be
compelled to recurb will be served with a notice, giving them thirty days time and in case they fail to attend to
the work, council will do it and collect the amount by law.
Councilman Yost stated that P. R. Souders had hoodwinked the members of council and he made a motion that
Mr. Souders be notified to remove that portion of his porch which was constructed without the permission of
council and contrary to the borough ordinances.  Mr. Souders had been granted permission to repair an
awning and instead of simply repairing the same, had built a roof to it.  Several members of council, in
speaking on the matter, stated that the awning served as a public convenience in case of inclement weather
and they saw no reason why it should be taken down.  When the motion of Mr. Yost was put to the president, it
was lost by a vote of eight to three.  Mr. Yost then moved to allow Mr. Seiger to construct an awning but
before the motion was out, Burgess Hartman arose and stated that if anything of the nature was erected he
would tear it down as it certainly would be against the ordinance.  In the case of Mr. Souders, it was
contended that the awning had been erected before the passing of the ordinance and hence council had no
authority in the matter with the exception of the recent additions.
The Ordinance Committee presented two new ordinances, the first governing the erection and construction
of any building, wall or pavement in the borough or the erection, construction, rebuilding or remodeling of any
porch, awning, cellar doors, vault or other encroachment upon any of the sidewalks in the borough.  The other
was an ordinance prohibiting the setting of any curbstone or the building of any pavement in any of the public
streets or highways of the borough until the grade had been adopted for such street and grade given and
marked by the borough engineer.
The Road Committee submitted a report in which they stated that William Berger, who owns a property in the
South Ward is not entitled to damages.  The report was accepted by council.  The Gas and water Company will
be requested to make any repairs to their mains along Dock Street before the paving is put down.  

The Pottsville Republican of July 5, 1912


The only thing to mar what otherwise would have been a glorious day in Schuylkill Haven was the rain storm
which set in about six o'clock and continued at intervals for upwards of three hours.  The industrial parade
was a success in every particular and while not quite as large as some of the citizens of the town anticipated,
it certainly was a great credit to the committee having in charge the entertainment of the day.  The afternoon
parade was several minutes late on account of the non arrival of several of the bands but by nearly two
o'clock the word to march was given and the parade was off.  It is estimated that nearly ten thousand people
stood along the respective streets over which the parade passed and viewed the efforts put forth by the
citizens of the town in making the day one of the best in the history of the place.  Every incoming train
discharged its quota of passengers and the trolley cars were at all times filled to their capacity.  Even after the
afternoon parade, the visitors continued to come into the town and get ready for the fantastic parade in the
Just as the industrial parade in the afternoon was breaking up, rain fell for about thirty seconds, but not
sufficient to scatter the people or to dampen their spirits for what was to follow in the evening.  It was found
necessary to postpone the evening parade until Friday evening.  This the committee only decided upon after
due deliberation.  It was found necessary to postpone several of the band concerts on account of the weather
and it is probable several will be given Friday evening.  The Third Brigade Band of Pottsville were given the
pavilion at Hotel Grand and rendered one of their usual pleasing concerts for upwards of an hour and a half.  
The Berkey Band of Hamburg also succeeded in playing for a while in front of the Rainbow Hose Company in
Spring Garden.  The other two concerts had to be postponed.  The town never looked prettier than it did
Thursday afternoon with practically every building decorated and the hundreds of young girls in their white
dresses and all bent on having the time of their lives.  The success of the day is due to the efforts put forth by
W. J. Downs, E. G. Underwood, E. H. Hill, D. D. Coldren, George H. Long, and Heber D. Felix and the other
members of the committee.
A noticeable feature of the afternoon parade was the orderly conduct of not only the Schuylkill Haven
residents but the hundreds of out of town people.  Not once during the afternoon were the members of the
State Police or the Schuylkill Haven authorities compelled to use force to dispel a disorderly crowd.  A majority
of the members opf the bands paraded without coats and with straw hats.  Seven bands were noticed in line.  
It required three quarters of an hour for the parade to pass a given point.  An unfortunate breakdown at
Liberty Street caused the members of the Spring Garden Rifle Club to be somewhat behind the line of parade
but they covered the entire route.  One of the progressive merchants of town distributed cigars from an auto
while others gave away pans and match safes.  The display of J. F. Bast was a novelty.  The float represented a
knitting mill with six girls at work on sewing machines.  Harry Huntzinger, who paraded with the members of
the Schuylkill Hose Company, was the smallest man in line.  He is upwards of twenty five years old and
measures four feet, four inches.  The rain held off until the very last of the afternoon parade and then only
came down a few seconds.  Trolley traffic was stopped through the town during the afternoon parade.  Ice
cream parlors and soda fountains did a rushing business while those persons who had ice cold lemonade to
sell came into their fair share of customers.  Some of the visitors to Schuylkill Haven were not through
"getting acquainted" at a late hour Thursday night.

The Pottsville Republican of July 16, 1912


Tuesday afternoon, Coroner G. H. Moore went to the Schuylkill County Almshouse where he investigated the
death of James Donnelly of Frackville, who received scalds that resulted in his death at eleven o'clock
Tuesday morning.  According to the information received, Donnelly, who had been a patient at the institution
since July 21, 1911, was found in a bath tub, scalded almost from his armpits to his feet.  The first intimation
that the authorities had of the occurrence was when they heard the man scream.  It is reported that they
hurried him to the hospital adjoining where he suffered intense agony until relieved by death.  The object of
Coroner Moore's visit to the institution was to determine whether Donnelly received the scalds due to his
own negligence or whether it was the fault of the attendants connected with the institution.  Investigation of
the circumstances will determine the fact as to whether or not an inquest will be necessary.  The almshouse
declined to give out any information of the affair.

The Pottsville Republican of July 23, 1912


Twin children, a boy and a girl, made their appearance into the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Fehr, of the South
ward of town on Sunday morning.  The boy lived but a short time.  It is understood that the family are in poor
circumstances and are in need of help.  The father stated he was unable to pay to have a grave dug and would
be compelled to dig the grave himself.  It is reported that the mother is in serious condition.

Monday night Chief Burgess Hartman and Constable John Butz raided a house on the Dutch Flat conducted by
a woman known as Mame Weaver, about fifty years of age.  For some time past, bitter complaints have been
lodged against the place.  On Saturday last a young girl disappeared from her home and it was believed the
girl had gone to the house conducted by Mrs. Weaver.  The father of the girl went to the house but was told
the girl was not there.  When the house was raided Monday evening, the girl was found on the top floor.  A
drunken woman and several men were also found in the house, while in the garret were found two young
men.  The woman is also accused of harboring boys sixteen and seventeen years old.  She was asked to leave
the town and when she refused the authorities committed her to the county prison.

The Pottsville Republican of July 30, 1912


A telegram was received on Monday night in Schuylkill Haven from the police authorities in Pittsburgh, stating
that  they had in custody Frank Wildermuth, a boy by the name of
Sattizahn and another by the name of Hartranft, all of Schuylkill Haven.  Inquiry was made in
that town on Tuesday morning and it was stated that the three boys left town on Saturday
last.  It was also stated that Sattizahn had taken fifty dollars belonging to someone and that
Hartranft had taken thirty dollars belonging to his brother, which the latter had received several hours
previously as his pay.  None of the boys are fourteen years of age.  Tuesday morning one of the relatives of
the boys left for Pittsburgh to bring them back.
JULY 1912