Proper heating of the new high school building and the safeguarding of the health of the scholars, was given careful consideration of
the members of the school board at their regular monthly meeting on Monday evening.  In the discussion, it was discovered that the
entire building can be suitably heated with the exception of two or three rooms on the north side of the building.  A communication
was read from Columbus Heating and Ventilating Company, stating that a man was on his way to Schuylkill Haven and would remain
here until everything was satisfactorily adjusted.  The firm could see no reason why the plant was not giving entire satisfaction in
view of the fact that other plants in this locality are doing all that is claimed for them.
The board decided that unless the rooms could be heated to a proper temperature, several of the schools would be transferred to
the old building in the East Ward.  All that is necessary for the transfer would be the connecting of the steam pipe.  This was ordered
done.  However, with moderating weather, Superintendent Hoover was of the opinion that the present rooms could be heated.
A number of parents were called before the board to explain the absence of their children.  Several children acknowledged playing
truant while others were compelled to stay at home and assist with the family washing.  All were given another chance but a
reoccurrence will result in suit being brought against the parents or a charge of incorrigibility against the scholars.

A half dozen cases were operated upon by Dr. G. H. Moore at his hospital here.  Thursday afternoon is dispensary day for charity
cases, those too poor to pay for the removal of tonsils or adenoids that may effect the hearing.  The object of the hospital is to save
the hearing of poor children that do not know or have the means to have the cause removed.

When a freight car on the Reading Railroad reached Schuylkill Haven, it was ascertained that it had been robbed enroute.  
Considerable of the merchandise was consigned to Schuylkill Haven merchants.  Cases had been broken open and goods strewn
about so that it resembled a place visited by a cyclone.  The lid was taken from a cake of cheese and after a single bite had been
taken out of the cheese, it was thrown away.  It is believed that the robbery was committed somewhere down the main line.

Messrs. Baker, Bowen and Sirrocco had a force of men at work Sunday and Monday removing the machinery from their barges in the
Schuylkill River.  These washery operators fearing a freshet when the ice breaks and in order to protect their operations, took the
engines and machinery to a safe place.

Friday and Saturday last were certainly unlucky days for Marie Sterner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Levi Sterner of Broadway.  Going
down a flight of stairs in the yard Friday, she fell, striking her head and was rendered unconscious.  On Saturday, while going from
one room to another to practice her music, she tripped over a piece of carpet and broke a small bone in her wrist.  Notwithstanding
the injury, she is attending school regularly.

The Call of January 18, 1918

During the week the Schuylkill Haven Trust Company had an engineer make preliminary arrangements for the installation of sixty to
seventy five additional safety deposit boxes in the vaults of this institution.  The large number of boxes that had been provided have
all been rented and the demand for individual safe deposit boxes continues to such an extent that it has been deemed advisable to
install an additional number.  The purchase by many persons of Liberty Bonds is one of the direct causes assigned for the increased
demand of these receptacles.

At the morning service at Grace United Evangelical Sunday School, the members of the Ladies' Aid Society will present to the Sunday
School a service flag containing thirty five stars for members of the congregation who are in the service.  The presentation will be
made by Mrs. Hartzler, wife of the pastor of the church, and accepted by John P. Schwenk, superintendent.  In conjunction with the
presentation a program will be rendered.

Levi warner, who looks after the municipal affairs of the borough, used his shovel to advantage on Tuesday morning.  The double
team of Michel Brothers came racing around the corner from the alley to the rear of Main Street.  Levi took the situation in at a glance,
brought his shovel into play and stopped the team.  He no doubt prevented damage to the sleigh and injury to the horses.

The manufacturers of shoes and underwear in Schuylkill Haven, have nobly come to the assistance of the Schuylkill Haven Chapter of
the Red Cross Society with most liberal donations.  These in conjunction with the old clothing received, will in all probability be
packed and shipped this week.  The members of the Port Clinton chapter forwarded to the local organization, another quilt and this
will be packed with the clothing. The local members are more than delighted with the ready responses of the people of the community.

The Call of January 25, 1918

The recently installed boiler at the electric light plant will be placed in operation the coming week.  All the work related to the
preparing of the installation has been completed.  By placing this boiler in service the boiler capacity of the plant will be greatly
increased.  The capacity of the new boiler is 300 horsepower with a guarantee of 450 horsepower.  The present old boilers have a
capacity of 600 horsepower.  When the new boiler is in operation several of the old boilers will be cut off and held reserve and by the
use of this new vantages over the old ones a greater amount of steam can be obtained and an additional saving in fuel affected.

Dory Hoy, of town, figured in an accident on Saturday evening last at Palo Alto when in turning out of the way of one trolley car, his
wagon was struck by another car.  He had just crossed the track a sufficient distance to avoid having the car strike his horse.  Mr. Hoy
was thrown out and was compelled to go to the Pottsville Hospital to have his injuries dressed.  His wagon was partly demolished.

John Webber, cashier at the local gas office, was burned about the face late Thursday afternoon.  He went to the gas plant to do some
inspecting and with a lighted cigar in his mouth, looked into an opening.  Fortunately there was only a small accumulation of gas and
the injuries he sustained in the explosion were not serious.  He was given treatment at the Stine drug store.

Tagless bow wows in Schuylkill Haven will be given another chance for their lives and for the time being will not be sent to the Happy
Hunting Grounds.  Constable Butz stated that owners have applied for licenses and paid for the same, but the county officials have
exhausted their supply of tags.  During the week he killed four dogs in Spring Garden but for the next several weeks will cease his
operations and await the arrival of tags.

Request from the War Department at Washington to the teachers of the local public schools to assist in the classification of the
questionnaires has met with ready responses.  It is understood that practically every teacher in the district has signified his or her
intention to help the local draft board in every particular.  Teachers who are non residents of the district will be excused from this
work but are supposed to help in their district of their services are required.  With the aid of the teachers, the work of the
classification in this district will be brought to an early close.  
Owing to the inclement weather of Tuesday, but one session of school was held.  The  heating facilities have almost reached the
stage of perfection and no further trouble is  expected from this source.
During the present week, several cases of direct truancy were reported.  One was a young girl and the other a young man.  Constable
Butz spent several days looking for the young man but was unable to locate him.  The members of the school board are in a sense
responsible for this truancy.  Each meeting night they allow parents and guardians to come before them and with stories bordering on
the fish variety and then excuse the truants.  Instances have been known where the same person has appeared two, three or four
times without the board taking any action.  An example or two would no doubt have the desired effect on the remainder.  Suits are
brought in other communities and the same could be done here.

On Tuesday of the present week, there were just 414 inmates at the County Home, not including those at the Asylum.  Of the above
number 162 were native born residents and 252 foreign born.  An effort was made to obtain the respective nationalities of those
foreign born residents but this was impossible at this time, owing to the fact that the officers at the institution are at work compiling
their report for the past year.  This report will be forwarded to the Board of Charities at Harrisburg when completed.
A contrast in connection with the Schuylkill County institution and the Berks County institution is the fact that the majority of local
inmates are married and in Berks County the majority are single.  This is accounted for by the fact that large numbers of foreigners
come to this section to work in the mines, leaving their wives and families in the old country.  
It was further ascertained that the number of 414 inmates was somewhat larger at this time than usual, although some few years back
when times were not as prosperous as they are today, the number of inmates went over the 500 mark.  The fact that there is plenty of
work for every person, is another factor in keeping the admittance to the institution down.  Rigid rules are being enforced by Steward
Edward Stine and every person applying for admittance who is physically able to work is given his "walking papers."  A person in ill
health is given every consideration and attention but when recuperated, must leave.  A noticeable decrease in the number of
persons applying for lodging at the "bum room" each evening, is also recorded.

The first heatless Monday, for a period of ten weeks, was generally observed in Schuylkill Haven this week.  Practically everywhere
one went they found store doors closed, blinds pulled down and a note on the door with the words, "Heatless Monday."  Even the
saloons and hotels closed, thus showing a patriotic spirit of the proprietors.  A case was reported where cigars, tobacco, ice cream,
etc., was sold.  Still another instance was that of a pool room where a sign was hung at the entrance, "Open Today."  Both of the
above instances were direct violations of the law.  The authorities have not decided whether they will make an example of the
offenders or not.
Ads from The Call in
January 1918