The Call of February 5, 1915


At the monthly meeting of the Town Council held Monday evening, the principal topics of discussion were affairs concerning the
electric light plant.  This discussion was brought about by the explanation to council of the necessity of having a new switchboard
installed.  A new switch board will cost in the neighborhood of $2,000.  It was stated the present switchboard is extremely dangerous
to the employees at the plant.  That on several occasions the men at the plant have had narrow escapes.  The estimated cost of a
new switch board would not pay for the life of a man whose death was caused by the present defective switch board.  If any of the
employees of the plant were killed the borough would have to pay quite a large sum of money if the death were caused by defective
machinery such as the switch board could be proven to be.
The conditions at the plant are known as to the danger in connection with switch board and it was the opinion of the chairman of the
Light Department that the conditions now being known the council owes it to the employees to make things safe.  Mr. Hoffman stated
he wanted to be put on record as informing council of the danger in connection with the switch board and the hazardous condition it
causes to the employees.  
The hauling of coal at the light plant was given out on bids.  As per the committee's request bids were presented from several local
coal men for the hauling of the coal to the plant.  The bids were as follows: Frank Deibert, 20 cents/ton; C. F. Faust, 22 cents/ton,
Edward Borda, 19 1/2 cents/ton; Harry Baker 25 cents/ton.  Mr. Borda being the lowest bidder , the contract for the year was awarded
to him.
Mr. D. D. Coldren appeared before council and stated that the sewer on Union Street at the P & R Railroad is again giving trouble.  
That it blocks up and the water is backed onto his property.  That Monday the water in the cellar of his home reached such a depth
that it extinguished the fire in his furnace and damaged the same.  The water has surely undermined the foundations of his mill and
he expects any day that the building may sag a little.  He stated that for the past twenty years he has never known a drop of water to
be in either cellar.  That they were always very dry even in the wet weather, but that now there is always water in both of them.  That
his home is very damp and the health of his family is menaced thereby.
The sewer is the one that for the past several years has given council considerable trouble.  It is caused by one sewer, the stone
sewer of the company being unable to carry off the large amount of water that comes down Union Street.  This water flows from
Fairmount Addition, Margaretta Street, prospect Hill and the entire upper section of the town.  The stone sewer at the Union Street
crossing of the P & R Railroad is too small and becomes blocked causing the water to back up into adjoining property.
Council for some time discussed this matter and various ways to remedy the situation.  It was thought the best way would be to run a
sewer down Saint Peter Street which would carry off the greater portion of the water.  Bids for previous work have been high and
prevented action.  It was stated that whatever the cost, a sewer had to be placed to relieve the situation.  
In discussing the question of putting down this sewer, it was thought the borough could do this work under the supervision of the
supervisor.  It was stated if the borough would do that, the taxpayers would be fleeced wholesale.  One councilman remarked it
would cost considerable more money in the end if the borough laborers would do it as every one of them would skin the borough.  
This councilman stated this is the condition for some time.  They all take their good old time and when told to hurry up only remark
that it makes no difference when they start work or quit they get so many hours per day at so much per hour.  That the taxpayers are
paying for it and they can afford it.  This councilman did not hesitate to state, even with the supervisor present, that from the
supervisor down every employee of the borough was skinning it on all kinds of work.
The annual fiasco took place when the annual auditor's report together with their bills were presented by the secretary to council.  
Every year the matter of the bills for the auditor causes a discussion on the matter, which in the end only results in the bills being
paid same as any other bill.  This year was no exception to the rule.  The bills for each of the three auditors call for $25 for 12 1/2 days
work at $2.00 per day.  The idea of it requiring three men 12 1/2 days to audit the books of the borough in the manner in which they
are audited was stated to be preposterous.  One councilman called it an outrage.


There is being conducted at this time the annual midwinter sale of E. G. Underwood, the popular clothier and gents' furnisher.  These
events are always anxiously awaited by the people of this town and surrounding towns and the extensive outlaying farming districts.  
There is a particular reason why hundreds and hundreds of people should wait the announcement of these sales.  It is due to the
fact that at these sales are offered the most extraordinary bargains in gents clothing and furnishings.  The bargains are not equaled
by any other store in this section of the state.  They are bargains not only in price but in quality.  At this store the goods are marked
down to the special price from the price asked for them during the past several months.  This procedure is one followed by but a few
stores.  The sale began last Friday and will continue until Monday, February 15th.


Both ninth grade and high school Literary Societies elected officers last Friday.  The prize won by Schuylkill Haven in the Red Cross
Stamps contest has been received.  It has been and is on exhibition in Bensinger's Drug Store window.  Take a look at it.  We hear
very good reports from Ardmore about the teachers who left us last year to teach there.  In the midwinter examinations the schools
taught by "our" two girls were among the three coming through with the best results.  This is the week of examinations in the High
School and many grade schools.

The Call of February 19, 1915


That at least some interest is being aroused and manifested by the citizens of Schuylkill Haven in the Boy Scout movement was
evidenced by the attendance at a meeting Thursday evening called for the purpose of selecting or organizing a local council.  There
were present about a dozen and a half citizens.  The question of Boy Scouts and their future was discussed at some length and a
temporary local council was then formed.  Reverend C. E. Hays was elected temporary chairman.  Mr. H. C. Wilson was elected
temporary secretary.  All members present were appointed to a committee on organization to get all men interested to attend the
meeting next Thursday evening at 7:30, which will be held in the Sunday School room of the Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church.  It is
likely that at this meeting a permanent organization will be formed.  
It is urged and it is the desire of this committee for all men of Schuylkill Haven of whatever occupation who are interested in the
boys and the Boy Scout movement to attend this meeting.  The idea is to have as large a council as possible, as it will give the matter
weight and backbone.  It is the desire and idea also to make the Boy Scout movement more a community matter and this can be done
by getting more citizens interested in the Boy Scouts than have been interested heretofore.  This will give the movement prestige.
It is contemplated by the temporary committee to secure in the near future a speaker from some nearby city who is a scout official to
give a free address and lecture on the Boy Scout movement.  This will have the tendency to arouse interest to a greater extent than
has been shown in this movement since the Boy Scouts have been organized in Schuylkill Haven. All men are cordially invited and
urged to attend Thursday's meeting


During the week Messrs. George and Charles Dreibilbis, former residents of Schuylkill Haven and direct descendants of the founder
or first settler of Schuylkill Haven, Martin Dreibilbis, visited town.  They spent several days circulating among their former friends
and renewing old acquaintances and viewing the old landmarks of the town.  Both gentlemen were much surprised with the
wonderful development and growth of the town.  Mr. George Dreibilbis hails from Wosley, Montana.  Their narratives of their
experiences aremost interesting as well as exciting and they take pleasure in reciting the many experiences they have had since
leaving their "Old Home Town."


This year the Valentine business in Schuylkill Haven dropped off considerably, the local dealers in valentines not doing near the bulk
of business which they did in previous years.  Postmaster Reed reports that the amount of valentine mail handled through the local
office was less than for many years past, the volume of business for the day being only a few dollars greater than on any other day.  
The cause for the drop or decrease in the number of valentines being mailed this year is said to be due to two principal causes, the
scarcity of money with the parents of the children who usually send the missives and the fact that Valentine Day came on a day other
than a school day.  


On or about April 1st, Schuylkill Haven will have a real jewelry store.  During the week arrangements were made by a practical and
experienced jeweler to open a store in the town and in the course of several weeks the stock will commence to arrive here.  The
store will be opened and conducted by Mr. S. M. Rupley, who at present conducts a large jewelry and optical store in Monaca,
Pennsylvania.  The lower portion of the S. L. Pflueger store has been rented and will be occupied by Mr. Rupley.  Mr. Rupley has had
several years practical experience in the jewelry business and intends to give this town an up to date and first class store.  He has
already rented a house and will move his family and household goods here as soon as possible.  While in town the past week, Mr.
Rupley of Mercersburg made many friends.  They have been acquaintances for years with several prominent families now residing in
Schuylkill Haven.