The Call of February 6, 1914


After being on his trail for several weeks, Officer John Butz finally landed William Wenrich of Jefferson, near Auburn, and placed him
behind the bars in the county prison.  Wenrich had been guilty of putting all kind of tricks across on the people of this vicinity, short
changing, collecting money for goods he never delivered, horse stealing, entering into contracts that he never intended to fulfill
and swindling in almost every shape and form.  A short time ago, baker George Ehly was duped for five dollars by Wenrich on the
plea that he was a son of Frank Reber and had left for market without his change and asked that Mr. Ehly loan him change in order to
do business.  A phone message was also sent to Mr. Ehly concerning this matter, presumably by Wenrich.
At Hotel Grand he met a local painter.  He represented himself as a prosperous farmer, inquired the rates for painting and made a
contract with the local painter Morris Kline, to have his house painted.  He then asked for a loan of several dollars because he was
short and on the strength of the contract the request was granted.  That was the last of Wenrich.  Many other tricks pulled on local
residents could be given.  Wenrich was  given a hearing before Squire W. C. Kline and was held under $500 bail and on default of
the same was placed in the county pen to await trial at the next session of criminal court.


Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln Krammes of Berne Street (Schuylkill Mountain Road) were severely burned at their home Tuesday evening by
the explosion of a gasoline tank on a small stove.  The stove was used in connection with an apparatus for the treatment of
rheumatism.  Mrs. Krammes was making use of the apparatus at the time the tank containing about a quart of gasoline exploded.  
The burning gasoline was thrown about the room and onto the person of Mrs. Krammes.  The cries of Mrs. Krammes for help were
heard by her husband.  When he reached her side she was a mass of flames, he also was severely burned.  The condition of Mrs.
Krammes at this writing was critical.

The Call of February 13, 1914


A special meeting of town council was held Thursday evening for the purpose of transacting regular business.  Members present
were: Berkheiser, Burns, Sterner, Betz, Moore, Hoffman, Yost, Kauffman and Bast, Secretary Minnig and Solicitor Noecker.
The Road Committee reported having taken the matter of having the streets named and posted with Postmaster Reed in order to
learn just what will be required by the government in this connection.  The Electric Light Committee reported the books of the
electric light plant are being audited.  They also presented the resignation of Mr. Minnig as clerk of the light department, being that
the position would seriously interfere with his regular work.  
The water of water plugs came next for discussion.  It was reported that a plug on Centre Avenue burst and needed immediate
attention.  The cap of the plug was split and while it may be temporarily repaired, it is liable to give out at any time.  The committee
was instructed to secure and place in service a new plug.
The matter of securing coal at the electric light plant was also discussed.  It was stated that the cost for hauling coal per year is
between $800 and $1,000.  From the fact that the plant is next to the Pennsylvania Railroad and from the fact that the coal could be
dumped direct from the car into the plant, the electric light committee was instructed to inquire whether the coal could not be
secured from the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.  It was stated years ago provision by the erection of a chute from the
Pennsylvania Railroad siding was made for securing the coal.  That coal was secured in this manner for a short time after which the
more expensive method, that of hauling coal from the P & R siding was resorted to.  


Novel electrical effects are being introduced at the dances held in the Losch ballroom every Tuesday and Friday evening.  Quite a
large number of dancers from surrounding towns in addition to those from town attend.  No tango dancing is allowed.  Bensinger's
orchestra furnishes the music.

The Call of February 20, 1914


Thursday while the insane patients from Harrisburg were being transferred at the high landing, the team of John Brown ran away.  
Luckily for the insane occupants of Mr. Brown's sleigh, the tongue became detached from the sleigh as soon as the horses made a
break for liberty.  The horses were caught several squares away without any damage having been done.


Thursday morning the families of George Lawrence and James Confehr of Centre Avenue were overcome by gas and but for the
prompt discovery by James Confehr, the members of both families might have been asphyxiated.  Mr. Confehr was awakened by the
alarm clock, when he attempted to rise he found it difficult and at once detected the odor of gas.  He roused his wife and they made
their way to the first floor.  Here the fumes were heavier and Mrs. Confehr was almost immediately overcome and fell to the floor.  
Dr. J. A. Lessig was summoned and in the meantime the other members of the family were roused.  Dr. Lessig administered
restoratives but the effects were felt all day.
The family of George Lawrence who resides two doors below Mr. Confehr were also almost overcome by gas fumes.  A physician was
summoned and rendered assistance.  Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence and child were taken from their home at noon to the home of Mr.
Edward Burkert on Main Street.  They were in a rather serious condition when the discovery was made.  
It is said a leak in the gas pipe on Centre Avenue caused the gas to follow the water pipe to the cellars of the above and from the
cellar quickly penetrated the houses.

The Call of February 27, 1914


Monday, improvements to the interior of the First National Bank of Schuylkill Haven were begun, which when completed will make
this institution a thing of beauty.  The ballister which heretofore extended across the banking room above the vault has been moved
to the rear and above the director's room.  This change allows considerable more light to be thrown into the banking room.  The
entire interior of the banking room will be refrescoed.  This work will be done by decorator Imhoff of Reading, the decorator who had
the contract for the frescoing of the First Reformed church of town.  The color scheme and design for the frescoing is very pretty.  
An extra coupon booth and an additional telephone booth will also be added to the fixtures of the bank.


The saloon keepers of Schuylkill haven have formed an organization by electing officers and adopting a constitution and bylaws.  
The purpose of organization is for protection.  It is alleged that ninety percent of the saloon keepers in the state observe and obey
laws but ten percent do not and these saloon keepers are the cause of much of the trouble arising from the liquor traffic by selling
on Sunday, selling any kind of beverages to minors, to persons already under the influence of drink, etc.  Any saloon keeper found
guilty of violating any of the state laws or the Brookes high license law will be dropped from the organization.  The organization of
the saloon keepers of Schuylkill haven follows the organization of saloon keepers in almost every city and town in the state.


The interest in the Boy Scouts has grown to such an extent that at present there are more than a sufficient number of boys to make
up a troop.  Scoutmaster Hays reports he has more boys in his troop than he can well handle and that he has applicants from a
number of boys who would like to become members.  Scoutmaster Hays would be glad to have another citizen of town organize
another troop of scouts and he is willing to assist him and give him the necessary information for this purpose.