The Call of December 7, 1917

Mrs. Harry Wessner of Garfield Avenue is suffering with a cut several inches long under eye and another cut on the arm, as a result of an
accident on Wednesday evening.  Mrs. Wessner was pouring coal on the stove when there was a loud report.  The next instant she felt a
stinging sensation near her eye and reaching there with her hand, felt blood flowing.  Immediately she discovered the wound on her arm.  
It is supposed that a dualin cap, used by miners in firing charges, got mixed in the coal and when near the heat exploded with the above

The fees charged by the Schuylkill Haven doctors will remain the same.  False rumors have been circulated about town that the doctors
intend to increase their rates and fees for professional service, following the example of the Pottsville physicians.  This is incorrect and
we are glad to inform the public that the doctors here will not increase their rates.

Eight Schuylkill Haven residents were poisoned on Sunday last by eating ice cream.  They were Reverend and Mrs. E. F. Carson, Mr. and
Mrs. John Schwenk, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Snayberger, all of Saint John Street and Mr. and Mrs. Harry Snayberger of Dock Street.  A
gathering was held last Sunday at the Snayberger homestead on Saint John Street and for refreshments, ice cream was served by the
host and hostess.  It was said that the ice cream was homemade and made with condensed cream which is said to have been impure.  
After the guests had been served with the cream, a dish of the same was handed over to Mr. and Mrs. Schwenk.  It was several hours
after the cream was eaten that the victims were taken ill.  Several of the victims are still confined to their beds and under the care of

A very important meeting of the Schuylkill Haven War Council will be held on Thursday evening next at the Town Hall.  The object of this
meeting will be to have the War Council act in conjunction with the Ministerial Association, in holding a community watch night service on
New Year's evening and the erection of a community service flag at the Town Hall.  All members of the council and others interested are
urged to attend.  The meeting has been called for eight o'clock.

Fire Chief Commings reported the existence of a number of fire traps in the borough.  He substantiated his statements by actual
photographs of a number of places.  He referred particularly to a small one story sort of office building on the Meck property on Columbia
Street, adjoining dwellings and also in the vicinity of a number of sheds.  He stated boys use the place for a bumming shanty and have a
roaring fire in an old stove in the shanty.  He also referred to sheds and stables to the rear of the Hotel Central which he stated was a fire
trap and because of its central location a particularly dangerous fire trap.  
One of the councilmen further substantiated Mr. Commings to the effect hat often the boys occupying the shed on the Meck property
have such a roaring fire that the sparks in large quantities come from the chimney and settle on the property round about.  He has
frequently kept watch and after the boys left late in the evening visited the place and made sure that the fire had been dampened or
extinguished.  The place in question and the use being made of it certainly was dangerous to the community.
The fire chief also reported a dwelling on Columbia Street a few doors below the Meck property that was dangerous and that on one or
two previous occasions fires have actually occurred therein and have been extinguished by the prompt response of the neighbors.  
Council felt that as Mr. Commings received his authority as Deputy Fire Marshal from the state he should communicate with the State Fire
Marshal, explain the condition and inquire what action can be taken.  Council has no authority in the matter.
The secretary reported having received but two replies in answer to his letters sent to the fire companies present at the Baker fire as to
whether the Liberty hose got mixed with their hose.  The Schuylkill Hose Company of town and the Humane Company of Pottsville were the
only two that replied and they stated they had none but their own hose.  The secretary was instructed to again write to the companies that
failed to reply.
On motion of Saul and Lessig the Chief Burgess was instructed to enforce the ordinance respecting branches of trees being but a certain
height above the street.  It is said this would require the trimming of a number of trees.

Letter carrier John Hoffman, last evening entered the military service of the United States.  JOhn went to Pottsville and there attached his
name to a paper that made him a member of the aviation corops.  Mr. Hoffman makes the sixth Schuylkill Haven boy to enlist in the aviation
corps this week.  The boys have been ordered to report to Pottsville on Tuesday morning next between the hours of 8:30 and 11:00 to be
sent to Harrisburg for examination.  This is one day earlier than had been anticipated.

Probably one of the best known hostelries in this locality, that recently conducted by Mrs. M. F. Loy, was closed by the proprietress
Wednesday evening.  For more than sixty five years this hotel has been under the same name, the Loy House, a distinction hardly
equalled by another hotel in this section of the state.  During the days when the Schuylkill canal was at its height, this hotel was patronized
by hundreds of boatmen and had the distinction of being the best in the county.  Mrs. Loy and the members of her family will continue to
occupy the homestead for the present.

Superintendent Hoover called the board's attention to the advisability of restricting the gathering of the pupils about the South Ward
school building morning and noon before the opening of school.  The teachers there complain of roughness and a tendency toward
rowdyism on the part of those pupils who gather about the building in some cases long before the teachers get there.
A representative of the International Photo Service appeared before the board and asked permission to photograph the children of the
several schools.  The representative promised to present a picture of each room to the board and also a picture of the buildings.  These
photographs were taken on Tuesday and many smiling countenances were noticed at each of the four buildings.
A communication was received from the Beard Construction Company asking for the balance due them on the contract for the new high
school building.  The board claimed that the work had not been entirely completed and that in several instances many defects in the floor
construction were in evidence.  Furthermore, the board refused to take any action on the communication as no certificate had been
presented from the architect showing that the balance should be paid.  One or two other requests were also made by contractors and the
same procedure as with Beard Construction was followed.

The Schuylkill Haven soldier boys in Company C Engineers have excellent appetites according to Carl Feger, who arrived home on
Saturday evening last on a ten days furlough.  Carl Feger was on kitchen duty on Thanksgiving Day and this is what the boys ate: 19
turkeys, 78 mince pies, turkey filling, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, lima beans, stewed corn, cranberry sauce, celery, red beets,
oranges, apples, nuts, bread and butter, coffee and cigars.  Mr. Feger reports all of the local boys are in good health.

The Call of December 14, 1917

Bast's modernly equipped butcher shop, just off Berne Street, Samuel having completed his winter butchering Thursday afternoon last
and when the shadows of the night had hovered over town, he and his family betook themselves to bed, feeling that they could be kept
away from their work during the wintry months.  On Friday morning when he arose, Mr. Bast discovered the fact that during the night some
unknown persons gained entrance to his butcher shop and had left, taking along spare ribs, several roasts, a quantity of sausage, etc.  
Mr. Bast threatens to shoot the first person found wandering about his premises.

A sleigh occupied by Messrs. Charles Deibler, Theodore Reber and Edward McCord, figured in a slight accident at The Call office on
Sunday afternoon.  They were rounding the corner when the runner of the sleigh caught in the trolley track.  The occupants saved
themselves from injury by jumping but the sleigh was considerably damaged.

Just one more week of school remains before the teachers and the scholars will enjoy their holiday vacation.  The schools will close on
Friday afternoon of next week and remain closed until the first Wednesday of the new year.  There is a strong possibility that a Christmas
program will be rendered on Friday afternoon next, in the auditorium to which the public is cordially invited.
The cold snap of Monday and Tuesday was apparent in several of the school rooms and Superintendent Hoover found it necessary to
dismiss a number of the rooms somewhat earlier than usual.
Owing to the inclement weather, the High School Cadets are using the gym for training purposes.  The drills are being held twice a week
and the same will be continued during the winter months.
The new couch, recently ordered by the members of the Parent Teacher Association has been placed in the director's room.  There has
been no occasion to use the same since being installed.

A deputy state factory inspector is registered at the Holmhurst.  During the week she made a number of inspections of stores, factories
and buildings.  In a number of instances, changes and precautions were ordered made.  Special attention is paid to the employment of
females and minors.