The Call of April 4, 1919

The report of a number of shots fired in quick succession on Sunday evening near midnight or the backfiring of an automobile
on Dock Street, which reports resembled those of revolver shots, were heard in sections of Spring Garden and in other parts
of town and aroused quite a number of people as it was thought robbers had been discovered at some home and were being
fired upon.  Just what caused all the reports could not be definitely ascertained.  Some persons state that persons with
revolvers near the Mine Hill Crossing were celebrating and others attribute the noise to the auto which had backfired.

The Rainbow Hose Company band which several months ago started out with bright prospects of becoming an efficient and well
trained musical organization is said to have temporarily disbanded.  Lack of interest on the part of a number of members is
attributed as the cause of the sudden termination of the life of this band.

Tennis, which is going to be one of the chief national sports this year, was enthusiastically ushered in here on Wednesday
evening last, when a number of the lovers of the sport met and talked over prospects for the coming summer.  Last year the
war put tennis in the background somewhat, but with the return of the boys and the extra hour of daylight again with us, all
things point to a great big tennis season.  Work has already been started in putting the court in first class shape and it is only
the matter of a week or ten days until playing will start.  The club is going to admit some new members and the invitation is open
to any of the men of town who wish to take advantage of the opportunity for good healthful recreation this game affords.

Saturday afternoon the Victory Arch on Main Street was blown over.  A horse, the property of John Yeich, of Long Run, was
caught beneath a portion of it and had its head pinned to the brick pavement.  Bystanders rushed to the assistance of the
owner and released the animal.  The horse bled from the nose and mouth but despite this fact was driven home by the owner.  
The Publicity Committee of the War Council ordered a veterinary surgeon to examine the animal which was done Saturday
evening.  Treatment was given during the week and it is said had treatment not been given promptly the animal would have
died in several days time as he was already stiff in the fore legs by the time the veterinarian arrived Saturday evening.  The
debris of the arch was quickly cleared off Main Street by the Publicity Committee and several bystanders.  Whether or not
another arch will b erected will be decided by the War Council.

Poor Old Mr. Winter got his back up last Thursday evening and said he'd show us something of real winter and he did handing it
out in doses of rain, wind, snow, ice and zero temperatures for several days.  Beginning Thursday evening the wind continued
at an estimated 50 mile gait until Sunday evening.  
Poles to the number of about twelve, property of the United Telephone Company on East Main Street above Grant and
extending to Avenue D, were blown down early Friday morning, entailing a terrible tangle of signal, telegraph, telephone and
electric wires.  As a result there were no street lights in that section of town for seven nights, as it required considerable work
to repair the damage and at this writing many of the wires are still badly mixed up.
The coal house at one of the P. C. Detweiler properties on Main Street was lifted up and placed on Wilson Street.  The wind also
blew off the tin on the roof on several stables at the rear of the Trust Company property on Wilson Street, whipped the flag at
the town hall to shreds and badly sprained the War Council's advertising board at the corner of Broadway and Dock Streets.

The Call of April 11, 1919

W. H. Koch of saint John Street, engineer on a coal train, while passing a freight train in the yard below the Mine Hill Crossing,
was struck above the eye with some unknown object that extended from one of the freight cars.  A deep gash was inflicted and
Mr. Koch had to be taken to his home, the fireman taking the train to Saint Clair.  Some time ago an engineer was killed in these
yards in a similar manner and a coroner's jury at the time recommended that more space be provided between the tracks in
order to avoid accidents of this nature.

From the ballot boxes in which the public was asked to drop an expression on the memorial proposition or feature, the large
number of seventy one ballots were taken.  From the 1800 ballots sent out and from the 5500 population, only 71 persons
appeared sufficiently interested in a memorial for the soldier boys to notify the committee in charge of their views on the
matter.  Of the seventy one votes cast, forty one favored a community hall.  The next highest number of votes was divided
equally between a public library and a public park.  Several votes were also cast for a memorial arch and monument.

Reports have been made to the light department of boys in the South Ward using electric light globes for targets for slingshot
shooting.  The lights along the river road and on the bridge have frequently been broken.  Orders have been issued to Officer
Butz to keep a watch on the miscreants and the first one caught will be prosecuted by the borough council.  

Tuesday evening the Boy Scouts of town, under the direction of Scoutmaster Bast, auto trucked to the Second Mountain, near
the water dam and extinguished a forest fire that had been raging for some time.  The boys arrived about eight o'clock and
fought until eleven.  The fire covered an area of about a mile and a half.  They arrived home about midnight.  The boys certainly
are to be commended for their work.

Thieves visited Spring Garden last Friday evening and made off with two geese, the property of Harry Shadel.  Some time in
December thieves stole a number of chickens, ducks and geese from residents on this street.  The strange part of this theft is
that Mr. Shadel had but the day before brought these geese to the pen in his own yard.  A day or two later two of them had

Mr. Moyer of town council stated at this week's meeting that something should be done to require the rolling mill people to
protect the reservoir on their property on account of it being dangerous to children of that neighborhood.  It was stated as the
reservoir was on private property the borough could not require the company to protect the reservoir, however, the burgess
was instructed to call the attention of the owner of this property to the danger and request him to provide some protective

The Call of April 18, 1919

Officer Butz was busy this seek enforcing the law relative to the shooting of dogs running at large without license tags.  He
shot eight of them and one or two happened to be pets of the owners.  This, however, made no difference as the law is no
respecter of persons.  There are still a number of dogs about town that do not bear a license tag and unless the same are soon
procured they will meet a similar fate at the hands of the officer.

Frank Shollenberger this week embarked in the candy, tobacco and cigar store business.  He will move his household goods
into the Fitzpatrick property either this week or the beginning of next week.  Frank will also conduct a pool room in conjunction
with the store, two pool tables having been ordered for this purpose.

The Call of April 25, 1919

Easter Sunday several autoists endeavored to knock down and ruin the silent policeman at the corenr of center Avenue and
Dock Street.  Had it not been that he is embedded in concrete, they might have accomplished their object.  Two Ford machines
ran into each other near him and another machine ran directly into him and struck him amidships knocking out his light.  
Autoists report having difficulty in getting around this silent policeman of late even though his increase in size is not

A boy, said to have been a Miller boy, was struck and knocked down by the Schucker coal truck on Monday.  The truck was
running slow at the time and the very fact that he collided with the fender or mud guard and this threw him to the side, saved
his life.  The boy was on his way to school and was being chased by another companion and ran directly into the truck without a
moment's warning to the driver.
APRIL 1919