|YEARS GONE BY
|The Call of April 3, 1914
NEW INDUSTRY TURNED DOWN
The annual meeting of the Schuylkill Haven Board of Trade was held Friday evening last. Of the 110 members of the Board of Trade,
there were present just about a sufficient number for the transaction of business. There were several important matters to be
taken up and be disposed of. A communication was read from a manufacturing company desiring to locate a hosiery and knitting
mill in Schuylkill Haven. The board was asked for information as to a suitable building. The mill would at the outstart employ at least
25 girls and within several months would employ in the neighborhood of 100 or more girls. It seemed to be the consensus of
opinion of the members present that Schuylkill Haven at the present time has as many industries requiring girls as it can possibly
take care of and to hold out offers or induce another industry to locate in the town would be simply handicapping the present
manufacturers on the help question. The secretary was therefore instructed to write the manufacturing firm to this effect.
Two communications were presented to the board petitioning the Board of Trade to in turn petition the Town Council to refuse to
grant a license to the Citizens' band for a street carnival. The matter was also discussed at some length as were also several other
The following officers were elected for the ensuing year by acclamation: E. G. Underwood, president; H. D. Felix, secretary; E. W.
McSparren, treasurer; J. A. Noecker, vice president. The following directors were elected to three year terms: Wellington Hartman,
J. O. Lessig, Frank Brown and J. E. Stanton. J. O. Lessig was elected director to fill the unexpired term of Fred Reed who resigned.
PREPARING TO COMPLETE DOCK STREET PAVING
Paving contractor Trexler is preparing to begin work on the completion of the Dock Street paving. As soon as the weather becomes
more settled, the curbs will be placed from Broadway to the Saint Matthew's Lutheran parsonage and then the excavating of the
street to proper grade for the paving will be taken up.
The Call of April 10, 1914
IMPROVEMENTS AT THE BANK COMPLETED
The improvements made to the interior of the First National Bank are about complete, and the bank now presents a most beautiful
appearance. The walls and ceilings have been handsomely frescoed in a color scheme of green, cream and gold. The woodwork
has all been repolished and varnished. The balcony, which heretofore extended across the top of the vault, has been moved back
to the rear of the building. a cornice has been built on top of the vault, adding very much to the pretty decorating scheme of the
banking room. New electrical fixtures have been installed. New furniture has been placed in the ladies' booth and in the directors
room. The interior appearance of the First National Bank of Schuylkill Haven, we venture to say, now compares most favorably with
the most handsomely decorated bank buildings in the state.
PREPARING FOR ERECTION OF CONVENT
Members of the Saint Ambrose Catholic Church for the past week or two have been at work on the erection of a convent.
Excavating has been underway for the past week and this work will be completed in a very short time, and the work on the
foundation commenced immediately. Bids are ready for contractors who care to bid on the convent building. They are in the hands
of the architect, Francis X. Reilly of Pottsville. The convent will be 32 by 60 feet and will be erected at the rear of the property
adjoining the church. It will be two stories high and of brick construction.
During the summer, work on the remodeling of the first floor of the church building will be begun and class rooms arranged for.
The sessions will begin in September of this year. A parochial school building will be built later on, probably in a year's time.
The Call of April 17, 1914
WILL HAVE MODERN BOARDING HOUSE
Schuylkill Haven will within the course of two or three months possess one of the most modern and up to date boarding houses in
this section of the county. It will be that of Mr. Elwood Thomas on Saint John Street.
A force of carpenters are at work remodeling and building an extension to the present residence, and it is expected the same will
be completed by June 1st. The first floor will contain a private parlor, smoking room, reading room, writing room and a dining room.
The dining room will accommodate sixty people. It will be fitted with individual tables. The second and third floors will be
composed of rooms, which can be rented in suites of one or two rooms. Rooms can be rented either with or without board.
Persons, by making application before hand, can be served with meals whether or not they board at the Thomas boarding house.
The entire building will be fitted with the most modern and improved manner. Circulating hot water service will be used. The entire
building will be electrically lighted and heated with steam heat. The boarding house will have its own private laundry. It will also
have its own electric power house, where electric light and power will be generated. The dining room will be in charge of
thoroughly competent people, who will be qualified to prepare and serve the food. The rates will be very modern considering the
service that will be extended. Further details will be given later.
PURCHASED POOL ROOM
Thursday of this week, Captain Harry Mellon of Palo Alto, a former Schuylkill Haven boy, purchased the pool room on Saint John
Street, formerly the property of P. J. Barr of town. Mr. Mellon assumed charge of the pool room immediately after the purchase was
made. Mr. Mellon is well known in Schuylkill Haven and surrounding towns. He has a host of friends who wish him success in his
new business. Mr. Barr, the former owner, will devote all his time and attention to his restaurant and ice cream parlor on Main
The Call of April 24, 1914
While the Board of Health and Town Council have as yet not decided on a general Clean Up Day for this town, it behooves the public
to make preliminary preparations for this "Great Day" by cleaning up the biggest amount of rubbish immediately. The two previous
Clean Up days set aside for this town were complete successes and it is probable that the Clean Up Day for 1914 will also be a
success and that everyone will take a hand in cleaning up and beautifying the town. This date will be set aside by the Town Council
at its next meeting and will no doubt be about the middle or latter part of May.
In anticipation of the annual event, let us suggest that the residents enter upon the work of cleaning up their premises
immediately. Now that the temperature and other conditions have become favorable for this work, there is no excuse for delaying
the cleaning up of the garbage pile or pen until the annual Clean Up Day. Delay in this instance is dangerous.
HAD GRAND OPENING
The Haussenpheffer Club of Schuylkill Haven opened their newly furnished quarters in Adam Moyer's office, first floor of Keystone
Hall building, Thursday evening. After several hours celebrating the event, lunch was served. I. B. Heim acted as toastmaster.
John Minnig had the boys in an uproar by singing comic songs. Gordon Reed sang a song entitled, "You have to feed the baby
garlic to find him in the dark." Those present were: I. B. Heim, president; John Minnig, manager; Gordon Reed, secretary; Adam
Moyer, treasurer; George Roeder, Ed Dewald, Charles Sausser, James Hill, Charles Schucker, Joe Reber, Abe Saylor, H. W. Moyer, E.
A. Haas of Reading, W. E. Ehrich and H. G. Achenbach of Allentown.
The school board held an adjourned session on Saturday evening. Directors Stager, Stauffer and Paxson were present with
Secretary Tyson and Principal Heckert. Upon the board's invitation to the coal dealers to be present, the following appeared: John
Minnig, Edward Borda and George Rauch. Mr. Rauch made the proposition that he be given the order for the year's coal and the
local dealers be given the hauling which met with the dealer's approval. He offered Saint Clair stove coal at $3.90 and egg coal at
$3.65 plus the state tax at these prices to be delivered at the dealer's yards. He guaranteed the coal to be as good as Eagle Hill.
The coal dealers agreed to haul the coal at fifty cents a ton, dividing the amount among the four. On motion of Stauffer and Stager,
three cars of stove and two cars of egg coal were ordered at prices given above and to be delivered by the dealers.
Principal Heckert was again appointed enumerator of school children and assigned the work of preparing the teachers' list of pupils.