This image captures the construction of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
trestle at Connors Crossing in 1890.  Zoom in and note the men
working on the iron pier in the foreground. In May of 1890 the
Pottsville Republican offered the following:
Preparations are almost completed for the putting up of the Lehigh's
big new iron bridge which will cover the turnpike, the Pennsylvania,
the canal, the flat, and the Reading at Schuylkill Haven. The iron
work is being received and will be unloaded from the Pennsylvania
tracks by means of large derricks, three of which are already in
position. The turnpike is being widened just west of the arch at
Warner's old lock, to make room for a bridge pier. All the work is
being pushed to complete the bridge as rapidly as possible.
Several days the later the paper reported: Twenty one car loads of
iron for the Lehigh's new bridge have already been received at
Schuylkill Haven and this is just a "sample" invoice.
These three pictures taken in April 1968 capture the end of the Pennsy Railroad
station on Pennsylvania Avenue. The station was located on the high ground
where the Senior Citizen building now stands.
These images show the
Pennsy station in it's
glory days.
The images above are pictures of
the Lehigh Valley Railroad trestle
which existed at Connor's Crossing
on the edge of town. Portions of
the stonework still exist.
This set of five pictures
depicts the last days of the
Pennsylvania Railroad arch
that crossed Dock Street at
the intersection of Haven
The four images below
show the removal of the
Pennsylvania Railroad
bridge that spanned
Route 61 (Centre
Avenue) at the northern
end of town.
Pottsville Republican of June 18, 1923

Fire believed to have been started by engine sparks completely destroyed the bridge over the deep cut a quarter of a mile east of Schuylkill Haven on Sunday at noon, tying up
automobile traffic on the short cut to the State road.  The bridge which was almost forty years old and spanned the Pennsylvania Railroad collapsed after the fire and for several
hours blocked traffic on the Pennsy.  The Schuylkill Haven fire department responded to a call for aid but the fire had reached such proportions before it was discovered that the
department could do little or nothing to prevent its destruction.
Pottsville Republican of June 22, 1888

Fatal Collision on the Pennsy
A terrible and fatal collision occurred on the P. S. V. Railroad directly in front of the Schuylkill Haven freight depot this morning at three o'clock.  It appears that freight train number
674 bound for Philadelphia, Lew Seiders engineer, had orders to take the siding there and allow an empty coal train for Pottsville to pass.  It was necessary to unload two
consignments of freight at the depot and this was done.  The engineer was at work under the engine and one of the brakemen had run for the switch when the coal train was
heard coming around the sharp curve at Spring Garden.  It is presumed that a brakeman had been sent to guard the track, but this will be brought out positively at the coroner's
inquest.  The fireman called for the engineer to get from under as he did not think the approaching train could be stopped.  He did so and after blowing down brakes to warn the
trainmen running to destruction the men took refuge behind the freight depot.
Some of the people living nearby assert that the train was going thirty miles an hour when it rounded the bend, at any rate the engineer, fireman and the passenger stuck to it, not
having time to alight, or from a sense of duty.  The crash was terrible, two locomotives locked in deadly embrace and then as if tired of the battle rebounded at least fifty feet , the
empty coal cars coming over the top of the coal engine and blocking up the space between the two iron monsters.  The awful crash over the groans of the wounded resounded in
the early morning air, and the work of rescuing them from the ruins was begun.
John D. Smith, the engineer, twenty five years, was killed.  It was 6:30 o'clock this morning before his remains were taken from beneath the fourteen trucks piled on them, his left
leg was broken, his right eye gashed, his feet scalded, but death was probably caused by a heavy squeeze of the breast; he leaves a widow and children who reside on South
Street in Philadelphia.  Deceased was engineer of the "Dinkey" here for four months when the Pennsy first opened.  He boarded at Mrs. Van Horn's South Coal Street, and was
universally liked.  He belonged to Pottsville Council, Number 17, Order of Chosen Friends, in which his life was insured for $2000, and also to the Brotherhood of Locomotive
Firemen, who will give $1500 to his heirs.  Deceased was tall, of fine physique, dark complexion and dark mustache.  Mr. Smith was a favorite with everyone who knew him and his
death causes much sorrow.
On the engine was Frank Hirshey, a young man about 28 years old, an ornamental painter, whose home was in Philadelphia.  He was a friend of Smith's and rode up on the engine
in order to see the county.  Being sickly, his intention was to spend six weeks in Pottsville for the benefit of his health.  Arrangements had been made for his reception at Mrs. Van
Horn's.  He lived but a short time.  His lower limbs were broken in several places.
Charles H. McHenry, or Ettinger, the fireman, was badly scalded from the feet up to his armpits.  He was taken to the County Almshouse, as better facilities for treatment were
afforded there.  Dr. James Carpenter was down this morning and has hopes for his recovery.  He was a hostler at the Mount Carbon station and boarded at Mrs. Frank Gibbons at
the Mansion House.  This was his first trip.  He is a young man, probably twenty three years of age and has lots of friends who hope for his entire recovery.  William Martin and
George Kirk, both of town were brakemen on the ill fated train and sustained severe bruises.  Deputy Coroner Dr. Palm empaneled a jury and is investigating the accident.  
Undertaker Robert Waldron went to Schuylkill Haven this morning early and brought both bodies to his Railroad Street establishment, from whence they were shipped this
afternoon to Philadelphia.
The wreck was not cleared away until noon, and not a main line coal, freight or passenger train arrived or left Pottsville since last night.  Both engines were complete wrecks and
at least fifteen coal and freight cars were piled about promiscuously.  The coroner's jury will endeavor to put the blame where it belongs.  It is best therefore to withhold
judgement until they speak.
A later report regarding McHenry as beyond doubt.  His home is in Reading and he will be ready to move there tomorrow.  When found he was pinned to the ground by a car truck
which rested upon his breast.  It is stated that he was not scalded as severely as first reported.  The testimony of both crews was taken by jury.  William Bossler was conductor of
the freight train.  It appears from the evidence that the freight train was ordered to enter the siding then and allow the other train to pass.  The coal train had orders to "meet and
pass" the local there.
William Martin, Joseph Martin hostler for C. M. Atkins who was front brakeman on the train gave very intelligent evidence before the jury.  He was sitting on the left or foreman's
side of the engine.  Engineer Smith was standing and Hirshey, the passenger, was sitting to the rear of Smith on the same side.  The fireman was standing on the tender with a
hook in his hand puddling the fire.  As they rounded the curve Martin saw the headlight of the other engine and looking over to Smith saw him make an effort to reverse which
apparently failed as the reverse lever again flew ahead and the locomotive made a fresh spurt just as it struck the freight engine.  Martin saw no more of the engineer after that.  
He felt the cab go to pieces about him and he went over the left side of the engine with it.  One of the fragments struck him on the bridge of the nose breaking a small bone.  He lit
on his feet and ran just in time to escape the piling cars which landed exactly where he did.  He helped to recover the bodies and afterwards reported his injury to Dr. Dechert who
attended to it.  He was about town today receiving the congratulations of friends on his narrow escape.
The testimony of the freight crew show that it was the fireman who ran ahead to turn the switch and also that no one had been sent ahead to  flag approaching trains.  The men
except the rear brakeman were hard at work unloading material.  The tracks were cleared at one o'clock.
Pottsville Republican of January 7, 1915

Failure to put a blue signal on the track in front or behind the car on which he was working as required by law, Francis Emerick of Schuylkill Haven, aged forty five years, was cut in
twain at the Pennsylvania railroad yards in Mount Carbon on Sunday morning shortly before nine o'clock.  He died in five minutes.  Emerick was behind the car and the shifting
engine threw two cars against the car under which Emerick was working and he was pinned beneath the front wheels which went over him.  Working with him was Charles Dress,
also of Schuylkill Haven, and Dress went away for a simplex tube and while he was gone the accident occurred.  The car under which Emerick met his death was shopped for
having a defective lock pin.  Emerick, a car inspector and general handy man, considered one of the most valuable men at the yard, noticed the marks of defects and started to
work in repairing the car.  Emerick is a widower and has two married sons, one living in Schuylkill Haven and the other in Tamaqua.  Yardmaster C. R. Hughes conducted an
investigation and the coroner will hold an inquest within a few days.
Pottsville Republican of May 1, 1899

HORRIBLY MANGLED - Unknown Man Cut to Pieces by a Pennsy Near Seven Stars
A horrible accident occurred on the Pennsylvania Railroad early this morning by which an unknown man was killed instantly and his body mangled in a most horrible manner, by
being struck by a freight train that was booming along at a lively rate.  The body was strewn along the track and presented a sickening sight.  The pieces of body were gathered and
taken to the county almshouse at Schuylkill Haven.  In the man's vest pocket was found a note with the name "Stykes of Shamokin" written on it.  Deputy Coroner C. A. Veith has
taken charge of the remains and will hold an inquest tomorrow afternoon.
The unfortunate man was run over by the local freight that leaves Mount Carbon yards at 2:50 but she was over a half hour late.  A portion of the remains were carried on the track
from the Seven Stars to the Lehigh Bridge.  A letter was found in the pocket addressed "Dear Father", and signed, Nerva Sietz, 1014 Washington Street, Shamokin.  The deceased
had stiff gray hair, small eyes and small features.  Deputy Coroner L. W. Brown, of Cressona, empanelled a jury, reviewed the body and ordered the remains sent to the almshouse,
where the inquest was finished this afternoon.  Yardmaster Deissinger sent a message to Shamokin asking for information.
Pottsville Republican of September 12, 1925

MAN FELL FROM BRIDGE - At Schuylkill Haven - Had Tried to Enter Almshouse
A man giving his name as J. Hoke from Minersville, sustained a broken hip and broken cheek bone and a number of minor injuries when he jumped or fell from the
high Lehigh Railway Embankment at the Garfield Avenue arch at Schuylkill Haven.  He rolled down the embankment and off the arch, dropping twenty five feet to
the street.  He had been to the Almshouse to gain admission, having no home, but did not have the necessary commitment papers and so was refused admission.  
He then walked in on the railroad to Schuylkill Haven.  He seemed greatly discouraged and wished to die.
Tragedy was no stranger on the Pennsy...
The Call of February 24, 1911

Train Will Be On Siding at Pennsylvania Station – Interesting Lecture and Demonstrations Will Be Given
The Good Roads Educational special train will, consisting of one postal car, two coaches and two flat cars, will be in Schuylkill Haven, Friday, March 10th, on the siding at the
Pennsylvania Railroad Station.  The train will arrive here at 3:40 p. m.  An interesting and instructive lecture will be given in one of the cars on good roads, their construction and
methods of keeping them in good condition and many other important items connected with good roads.  The lecture will be free.  Following the lecture the people attending will
be given an opportunity to view the exhibits and models of different kinds of roads and demonstrations will be given of the various kinds of road machinery.  The train will leave
for Pottsville at 5:50 p. m.  A lecture will be given in Pottsville also.  The two flat cars in the special train are loaded with good roads machinery.  One car contains models of various
kinds of roads, etc.  One coach is fitted up for lecture purposes and the other coach is furnished for persons accompanying the train.  Considerable interest has already been
aroused in the good roads special train and it is quite likely many of our citizens will avail themselves of this opportunity to become better informed on the subject of good roads.  
A tour of the state is being made by the Good Roads Educational Society with this special train and Schuylkill Haven is real fortunate in securing one of the lectures.
The Call of September 24, 1909

On Monday, the Pennsylvania Railroad Wilkes Barre Flyer, southbound which goes through town daily at about 11:30 o’clock, had a narrow escape from being wrecked at Connors.  
Just as the train struck the big curve on top of the thirty foot high embankment at Connors which leads to Schuylkill Haven station, the pony wheels of the engine left the track.  
The train doesn’t stop at Schuylkill Haven and consequently was going at a very high rate of speed.  Engineer J. Wells immediately applied the brakes and brought his train to a
stop in a distance of about double its length.  Passengers were badly shaken up by the sudden stop, but no one was injured and the engineer’s prompt action saved the train from
being wrecked.  The Mount Carbon wreck crew was called and after few hours work placed the engine on the track again and the train proceeded.  The northbound
accommodation and northbound Wilkes Barre flyer were delayed by the accident.  
The Call of September 1, 1916

Henry Kramer, aged fifty seven, a deaf and dumb person, who for years was employed by Terrance Clark at Connor’s, was struck Friday afternoon by a Lehigh
Valley coal train and died from the injuries sustained an hour following the accident.  “The Dummy”, as he was more familiarly known and called had been
instructed to do some work near the railroad on the farm of Mr. Clark.  He took with him a pail or kettle with water in it.  In order that it would keep cool and fresh
the man placed the same in a crevice near a spring in the cut above Connor’s on the Lehigh Valley Railroad.  It was while he was going to the cut for the pail of
water that the coal train bore down upon him.  Failing to hear the shrieks of the whistle and although the train was going at a slow rate, he was struck and hurled
against the rocks at the side of the mountain.  The body rebounding fell along the tracks and before the train could be stopped the wheels had severed his right
arm.  His skull was crushed, his left leg fractured and his back crushed besides probable internal injuries.  Dr. James Gray of Cressona was summoned and made
the victim as comfortable as possible.  The man was unconscious from the time of the accident and died before he could be moved to the hospital.  The funeral
was held Sunday afternoon from the residence of Mr. Clark.
The Call of July 15, 1890

The man named Smith who was struck with the column of the bridge while being hoisted into position yesterday, died this morning at the house of Mr. Butler in
Schuylkill Haven, where he had been boarding.  It is not known where he came from or where his home is.  He came to work on the bridge about three weeks ago
accompanied by a companion, who left the place about three days after.  Deputy Coroner Dr. Weist summoned a jury who viewed the remains and adjourned to
meet tonight at six o’clock to hear testimony.  A collection was taken up to defray the expenses of his funeral and he will be interred in one of the cemeteries of
Schuylkill Haven.
The Call of July 19, 1901

John Stewart of Pottsville, a coal train fireman on the Pennsylvania Railroad, on Tuesday met with an accident at the local station that might have caused him serious injury or cost
his life.  Stewart was riding on the engine of the passenger train due here at 5:22 p. m. and as the train entered the station he leaped from the engine to the truck standing on the
platform near the tracks.  The surface of the truck is lined with iron strips and these, made slippery by the rain, caused his feet to fly out from under him as he landed.  He fell
backward and struck his head heavily, rendering him partially insensible.  At the same time the truck, given an impetus by his body, stated forward toward the rails with the man in
his dazed and helpless condition on it.  The truck was caught by the baggage car and dragged but a short distance when the train came to a halt.  One wheel of the truck had
already left the platform and but a few feet further and it would have pitched over and the man would have been thrown under the wheels of the train.  It was a most narrow
escape.  The unfortunate man was placed aboard the train and taken to the Pottsville Hospital.  
The Call of November 23, 1900

George W. Berkheiser, an employee at the Pennsylvania Railroad station, this place, had a remarkably narrow escape with his life last Tuesday morning.  Mr. Berkheiser usually
transacts the business with the baggage masters on the passenger trains arriving at that depot.  The early morning southbound passenger trains on the Pennsy and at the Lehigh
Valley are due at this depot twenty minutes apart, the former approaching the station on the nearer track, while the latter is due later on the track farthest from the station
platform.  Mr. Berkheiser was under the impression that the Pennsylvania train had arrived and departed and that the train then approaching through the darkness was the Lehigh
on the outer track.  Without further satisfying himself, not even looking in the direction of the approaching train, which happened to be the Pennsy, he stepped from the platform
directly in its path.  He was struck by the engine pilot with great force and tossed through the air, landing heavily some distance away.  He received no serious injury, but his
escape from such, even death, was most miraculous.  A wound on the scalp and a bruised leg were the only injuries received that required attention.
The Call of December 21, 1900

Death Supposed to Have Resulted From a Fall From the Pennsylvania Railroad Arch at Connor's Crossing
The lifeless and bruised body of James B. McGeoy, one of the oldest residents of this place, was found at six o'clock this morning on the roadway beneath the Pennsylvania
Railroad arch near Connor's Crossing.  The body was discovered by butcher D. F. Hoy, of this place, who immediately sent for Constable Butz.  A careful examination of the body
failed to show any marks that might have resulted from foul play and it is generally supposed that Mr. McGeoy was walking along the railroad tracks above the arch when he
stumbled and fell or was hit by a locomotive and thrown to the hard roadway below, a distance of about twenty feet.  His face was badly bruised and his right hand fractured.  When
found he was lying on his face with his hand beneath his body and his injuries, it would naturally be supposed, resulted from the fall.  The remains were given in charge of
undertaker Charles Wagner, who removed them to the unfortunate man's home on Berne Street.  An inquest was held over the remains this morning, the coroner's jury rendering
a verdict of accidental death.  Mr. McGeoy left his home yesterday morning at ten o'clock stating that he was going to Pottsville to purchase Christmas goods.  He was reported to
have been seen there shortly before eleven o'clock last night.  How he got to the scene of his death is unknown and that he should have been to Pottsville and returned without
any packages cannot be explained.
Mr. McGeoy was born in Longfort County, Ireland, sixty five years ago and emigrated to this country, coming directly to Schuylkill Haven in 1848.  He got a situation at oiling cars for
the Reading Company and was subsequently employed in other positions by the company up to eight years ago, when with a large number of men, he was retired on account of old
age.  Since then he has lived a retired life.  He was a gentleman of fine moral character and was held in high esteem by all ho knew him.  He is survived by three sons and two
daughters as follows: Mrs. John Coho of this place and James, Joseph, Charles and Katie at home.  Mr. Barney McGeoy, probably the oldest resident in the town, is a brother.  The
arrangements for the funeral had not been made at the time of going to press.
The Call of October 25, 1901

INSTANTLY KILLED - George Baumgarten Struck By a Locomotive on Sunday
Unfortunate Man Was Deaf Mute and Failing to Hear Oncoming Train Was Suddenly Ushered Into Eternity
George Baumgarten, an inmate of the County Home, at this place, met a most sudden and tragic death last Sunday afternoon about 2:30 o'clock.  Baumgarten, who
was deaf and dumb, had left the Almshouse for a walk into the country, very unwisely choosing the Lehigh Valley railroad tracks.  He had proceeded to a point in
the cut beyond Spring Garden Junction when a special train from Pottsville to Bethlehem came along.  He was walking slowly down the track with his back to the
rapidly approaching train and the engineer blew a warning blast.  As the engine came closer the whistle sounded another warning, but without any effect on the
man in the path of death ahead.  The engineer shut off steam and applied the air brakes but the train could not be stopped in time to avoid the accident.  He was
struck and instantly killed, being thrown upon the rails.  Very few trains pas over this road on Sunday and the unfortunate man took no precautions to save himself
from a surprise of this kind.  
Immediately after the accident, Deputy Coroner H. Y. Hartman empanelled a jury who rendered a verdict of accidental death in accordance with the facts above
given.  The crew of the train were exonerated from all blame.  Mr. Baumgarten was admitted to the County Home on August 1, 1896, from Ashland, and was an
inmate of the stone building.  He was sixty two years of age.  The remains were claimed by a brother and sister residing at Ashland and were on Tuesday morning
taken to the place of interment.
The Call of January 2, 1903

A HEAD ON COLLISION - A Very Costly Smash Upon The Pennsy on Saturday
Two Engines and a Lot of Freight Cars Badly Used Up - Both Crews Escape Injury By Jumping
A big smashup, the result of a head on collision of two freight trains on the Pennsylvania Railroad near Adamsdale on Saturday gave the curious something to look at and
something to talk about and cost the company a considerable sum of money.  The wreck occurred about 7:30 Saturday morning, when a local freight was shifting some cars on the
upper end of the Adamsdale siding at Peale's farm.  The engine was pulling out onto the main track when the fast freight hove in sight, coming at the rate of about thirty miles an
hour.  Brakes were whistled for and the air was put on, but before the train could be slackened to any perceptible extent the two engines came together with a crash.  In the
meantime, however, the local engine had reversed, which was responsible for the fact that both trains were not broken to pieces.
When the engines whistled for brakes, the train hands, after doing what they could to avert the accident, jumped to the ground and all of them escaped uninjured.  Both engines
were so badly smashed up that they had to be sent to Altoona shops for repairs.  Several cars were smashed to kindling wood while a number had their ends stove in.  The Mount
Carbon and Reading wreck crews labored until the middle of the afternoon before the road was sufficiently cleared for the passage of trains.  In the meantime, passengers were
transferred around the wreck and several through cars, of Adams express matter that had to be hurried to its destination, were sent down attached to P and R
The Call of June 7, 1901

The high bridge of the Lehigh Valley Railroad at this place has on several occasions been the scene of some tragic event but none more startling then that which
occurred there shortly before noon last Saturday.  Lester, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Beck, and Elwin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bubeck, both of this place,
started to cross this high structure in search of birch on the mountains on the other side.  They had gotten to the middle of the bridge, which is nearly one
hundred feet high at that point, when the local freight rounded the curve.  It was impossible to stop the train in time and the engineer blew a warning blast.  By
great presence of mind each boy dropped to the edge of the trestle and swung a leg over a four by four inch binder which runs along the edge of the sills to keep
them in place.  They leaned back as far as possible as the train rushed by and thus saved their lives but the close proximity of their heads to the wheels can be
imagined when it is stated that the oil boxes of the cars grazed the lads heads.  The train stopped a short distance beyond and the crew rushed back to rescue the
brave lads from their perilous position.  They were very faint from their awful experience and had to be carried on the train to the opposite side of the bridge.  It is
needless to say the lads discontinued their search for birch and made a dash for home.  The story seems almost incredulous but is stated to be authentic by
reliable and responsible parties who were near the scene at the time.
The Call of April 10, 1903

Antonio Tutz, an Italian employed as a track repairer on the Pennsylvania Railroad, was instantly killed by the Pennsylvania Railroad "flyer" Saturday afternoon.  The man was at
work and owing to the high wind did not hear the train until it was close upon him.  He was struck by the engine and killed instantly.  He just lived below town and was about forty
years old.  Dr. Dechert, the deputy coroner, empanelled the following jury which rendered a verdict of accidental death: C. W. Horning, G. H. Alspach, Samuel Siegfried, B. W.
Farley, John Mourie and Ellis Nyce.
The Call of July 14, 1905

Robert Reber, six year old son of Robert Reber of Spring Garden, had his right foot taken off by the freight train at the Pennsy station Tuesday afternoon.  The afternoon freight
going north was on the siding to allow the 5:22 p. m. accommodation train from Philadelphia to go by.  After the passenger train had gone, the freight pulled out and young Reber
and his companions ran along side of the train tagging the cars.  Reber tripped over a switch lever, fell headlong to the ground and rolled to one side throwing his right leg over
the rail where it was instantly crushed beneath the wheels of the rapidly moving train.  The train was stopped and Dr. J. A. Lessig was summoned.  He dressed the lads injuries and
sent him on the freight train to the Pottsville Hospital where the leg was amputated below the knee.
The Call of June 11, 1915

This morning about eleven o'clock, an unknown woman fell or jumped from the Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge near Connor's Crossing to the state road below, a
distance of over one hundred feet.  She fell directly in front of the auto truck of Guy Payne of Pottsville, enroute to Pottsville on the state road.  The body was
placed in the truck and brought to Schuylkill Haven.  Dr. A. H. Detweiler made a hasty examination and advised her immediate removal to the Pottsville Hospital.  
Her condition was such that it was thought she would hardly be alive when the institution was reached.
The woman was attired in black and appeared to be of foreign nationality.  Passengers on the trolley leaving Schuylkill Haven at 10:30 noticed the woman on the
bridge and remarked it was a very dangerous place for her.  Reports from the hospital shortly before going to press were to the effect that very slight hopes were
entertained for her recovery.  She states her name is Anne Schwenck.  She suffers from profound shock, severe fractures of the right arm and right leg and
internal injuries.  Later reports are to the effect that the woman is Miss Anne Geschwindt of Garfield Avenue.  Her relatives while they at this writing had not
viewed the body, they feel sure from the description given and from the fact that she is missing from her home, that it is she.
The Call of August 20, 1915

The Lehigh Valley train due in Schuylkill Haven at 11:30, while backing from the Lehigh tracks to the Pennsylvania tracks near the Almshouse, on the road to
Orwigsburg, struck the auto of Mrs. Ralph Deibert this morning.  A serious and fatal accident was averted by the narrowest margin.  The machine was struck by the
step of the lead passenger coach and had it been making a fair rate of speed the occupants of the machine would surely been killed or injured.  The train pushed
aside the machine but badly damaged it, breaking the two front wheels, the windshield, the springs, top and hood.  It is almost a complete wreck.
The accident was witnessed by Mr. Lewis Hoy who was approaching the crossing but hearing the alarm of the air whistle stopped his truck thinking the train was
close at hand.  Just as he brought his truck to a stop Mrs. Deibert, who evidently failed to hear the whistle, passed him and just as the machine reached the tracks
the rear of the train came around the curve.  Before she could cross the rear of the train had caused the above damage, Mrs. Deibert and the occupants of the
machine suffered considerably from shock.
The Call of October 10, 1919

Several of the painters of the gang at work on the Lehigh Valley bridge received their discharge the fore part of the week.  It appears that during the absence of
the boss and several of the other workmen at the Allentown Fair, the remaining members held quite a regular "Midnight Frolic" one afternoon.  The names of
several girls from the heart of town are mentioned being present with scant attire about them, doing more than the jazz dance.  The men demanded pay for the
time thus spent and when refused became abusive.  An official from Easton was notified of the conditions and the fore part of the week ordered the discharge of
several of the men.
The Call of September 11, 1925

A man sustained several injuries this morning about ten o'clock by jumping from the Lehigh Railroad embankment at a point where it crosses Garfield Avenue.  
The man suffered a broken hip, a broken cheek bone and several holes in his head together with body bruises.  He was picked up and was conscious and freely
told that he was driven to his deed by force of circumstances.  Not having a home or financial means of support he sought a home at the county institution.  He
could not gain admittance and therefore decided to end his life.  The unfortunate man evidently thought to jump clear of the embankment and land in the street
below, a distance of fifty or sixty feet.  Instead of that he plunged into the embankment, rolled to the edge of the arch and from that point dropped to the street, a
distance of twenty feet.
Pottsville Republican of August 17, 1889

Harry Weisner of Schuylkill Haven, has been pasturing some mules on the farm of E. B. Peale below that town.  Last night they escaped through an open gate and started up the
Pennsylvania Railroad track.  They were overtaken by the freight that comes up about 11:00, two of them were struck by the engine, one had a front and hind leg cut off, which
necessitated his being shot, the other was badly hurt about the hips.  The rest of the mules were driven down  a bank forty feet high onto the Bowen premises.  Mr. Weisner had
just sold the mules that were hurt for $275.
Pottsville Republican of December 11, 1889

The Schuylkill Haven Record says: The arch across Garfield Avenue, recently finished by the contractors on the new road, is said to be cracking, thus making it a very dangerous
passageway.  The arch is constructed of brown mountain stone and was finished two or three months ago but the mortar could not have become properly set, owing to the wet
weather, which kept it moist.  At this point there is a fill of about forty feet or more for which purpose many tons of dirt have been hauled and dumped upon the arch.  The great
weight has proven too much for it and there are several cracks in the roof of the arch.  The archway thus becomes dangerous for persons to use as a passage way and the
contractors will be called to account for it.  If the arch must be rebuilt it will cost a large amount of money and not only incur a great loss to the contractors but will also put back
the work of construction.  It is understood the work will be examined by experts at once so as to avoid all possible danger from caving in.
The Pottsville Republican of September 20, 1909

The Pennsylvania Railroad Wilkes Barre Flyer, south bound, which left Pottsville at 10:25 this morning had a narrow escape from being wrecked at Connors.  Just as the train
struck the big curve at Connors which leads to the Schuylkill Haven station on the top of a very high embankment, the pony wheels of the engine left the track.  The train doesn't
stop at Schuylkill Haven and consequently was going at a very high rate of speed.  Engineer J. Wells immediately applied the brakes and brought his train to a stop in a distance
about double its length.  Passengers were badly shaken up by the sudden stop but no one was injured and the engineer's prompt actions saved the train from being wrecked.  The
Mount carbon wreck crew was called for and a few hours work placed the engine on the track again.  It occurred where the railroad crosses over the wagon road.  The track is
about twenty five or thirty feet above the wagon road.  The train was in charge of Conductor J. H. Burnapt.  The cause of the accident was due to the breaking of the flange on one
of the pony wheels.
Pottsville Republican of October 17, 1932

Unknown Man Killed in Fall, Man Whirls, Then Falls Down Embankment at Connors to Schuylkill Haven Pike, Pebble Punctured Brain

Suddenly whirling about as he walked along the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks at Connors, then falling or jumping down the side of the embankment, an unidentified man was fatally
injured about three o'clock Sunday afternoon.  Witnesses of the accident said they saw the man walking along the tracks from Schuylkill Haven towards Pottsville.  Just a short
distance above the junction of the Schuylkill Haven pike with the road to Cressona, the man was seen to spin about and then roll down the bank to his death. His fall ended on the
old macadam Schuylkill Haven pike and he was almost instantly killed.  Witnesses said they believed the man suffered a spell.  Undertaker Berger, Cressona, was summoned to the
scene of the accident, and the body was later removed to the D. M. Bittle morgue, where it may be viewed.
The man was about sixty years of age, five feet eight inches tall, weighed about 110 pounds and had a dark moustache.  He had no teeth and coal black hair.  He wore a blue coat
and trousers with white pin stripe, light brown necktie, brown fedora hat, boy scout shoes and black stockings and a light shirt with collar attached.  In the hat band the name of
the maker or dealer, "Mark Cohen, Long Island" was found.  Patrolman Walters of the State Highway Patrol is investigating the case.  A pair of eyeglasses, with telephone wire used
as ear pieces and a watch chain were found on his person.  A description was sent over the police teletype, but no response received.  Numerous callers at the morgue failed to
identify the man.  An examination of the body disclosed the man had died of a puncture wound of the brain, caused by a pebble on which he landed and which penetrated through
his hat and drove the piece of cloth torn from the hat into his brain.
**The next day the man was identified as Frank Eustace, Eleventh and Race Streets Pottsville, a well known baseball player who was apparently planning to get a train in Schuylkill
Haven to visit his ill father in New York but returned toward Pottsville instead.
Pottsville Republican of November 3, 1885

The Narrow Escape of a Laborer From Instant Death at the Cut of the P. S. V. Railroad at Schuylkill Haven
About five o'clock last evening at the poor farm cut, there occurred another of those terrible accidents that are becoming so frequent on the line of the P. S. V.  While a number of
Italians were working in the area loading dirt, a large boulder, wall above the men; and falling, struck one of the laborers on the back, knocking him against the rocks.  The stone
fell over him, one end resting on the bottom of the cut, the other leaning against the side.  Five of his comrades immediately ran to his assistance and attempted to release him but
finding their united efforts totally unavailing, they secured About five o'clock last evening at the poor farm cut, there occurred another of those terrible accidents that are
becoming assistance and succeeded in liberating him.  He was removed to the shanty situated near the southern end of the cut and so frequent on the line of the P. S. V.  While a
number of Italians were working in the area loading dirt, a large boulder, a physician was summoned.  Dr. Lenker of Schuylkill Haven at once responded.  The man was so badly hurt
as to preclude all possibility of an examination.  He was given something to quiet him and induce sleep and when the "Republican" all possibility of an examination.  He was given
something to quiet him and induce sleep and when the "Republican" reporter saw him, was apparently sleeping.
Dr. Lenker intends making an examination tomorrow morning.  The injured man's associates fear that he is hurt internally.  Some of the employees who reside in the immediate
neighborhood claim that it was purely accidental and exonerate all parties from blame.  Some of the Italians say that the blasts loosened the rock; that the men warned the boss and
proposed that he send a couple of them with pry bars to knock it down, but he thinking it perfectly safe replied that there was no danger and was himself not far away when it fell.  
They also reported that the boss was chased off by the infuriated workmen soon after the occurrence.  The sides of this cut are almost perpendicular and owing to the splintered
condition of the shale are liable at any time to cave in or fall off, requiring constant attention to prevent accidents.  The wonder is not that he was hurt but that more accidents do
not occur.
Pottsville Republican of February 10, 1886

At the deep cut near Schuylkill Haven, on the section of Drake, Stratton and Company, an Italian was yesterday fatally crushed by the falling of rock and was conveyed to the
Almshouse where he died soon afterwards.  Deputy Coroner Dr. Dechert summoned a jury with Mr. Peter Stanton as foreman, who after a half day's time taking evidence, rendered
a verdict of accidental death.
Pottsville Republican of April 1, 1886

Bids for the erection of depots for the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad Company at Schuylkill Haven and Auburn will be opened today at the office of the company.  The
plans and specifications for these structures have been examined and found to be in keeping with all the work done by the great Pennsylvania Company along all their lines.  The
depot at Schuylkill Haven will be a two story red brick, black mortar pointed structure of handsome architectural design, spacious in dimensions and substantial in construction.  
The specifications for the high cellar calls for the best stone and brick masonry and perfect drainage and ventilation.  The main floor will be divided into two large waiting rooms,
for ladies and gentlemen respectively, a baggage room and toilet rooms for the different sexes and a cozy ticket office and staircase between the waiting rooms.  The rooms are to
be wainscoted with chestnut five feet four inches high, the floor of clear yellow pine, the window casings of white pine, doors of chestnut hung on butt hinges all to be of the best
workmanship and all the window screens to be of double rolled wrought iron.  The second story will be fitted up in first class style for dwelling purposes and the roof will be of
slate.  The specifications call for the best of material even to the minutest details of the building and for first class workmanship all around, form the foundation to the finishing in
painting and glassing.  From the drawings which were shown us by Chief Engineer Brendlinger and from the minute demands of the specifications, we feel inclined to congratulate
our Schuylkill Haven neighbors upon the promised early construction of the most commodious and stylish passenger depot in Schuylkill County.  
Pottsville Republican of September 23, 1886

The railroad crossing over the Schuylkill Haven - Landingville river road at Brown's, is bound to be famous.  It has figured in two suits in court, has been a bone of contention
between North Manheim Township and the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad for a year now and now to show its enterprise crops out n another way.  Last Saturday evening it
was the scene of an accident.  One of the engines used on the P. S. V. was returning from near Auburn, the train consisting of three gondolas which were pushed ahead of the
engine and were occupied by some of the workmen.  Landingville was passed, just this side, between the two points where the P. S. V. crossed the township road.  The P. S. V. had
laid a side track.  The train came spinning along and almost reached the crossing when some of the men on the front car jumped up and ran back.  The front car left the track
bumping along on the sills for about a hundred feet and cutting great gashes in the wood.  Just as it left the track the pin was drawn so it ran further than the second which was
stopped before it got far.  The forward trucks of the front car were turned around so that the wheels stood at right angles to their former positions.  The engine and third car
remained on the rails and after some time the second car was also drawn on, but number one stayed where it was over Sunday.  They claimed that the engine which had used it
last had not properly cleared the switch and it was the sight of the half moved switch board that gave them the alarm in time to retreat.  Several persons report narrow escapes in
driving over this place.  One says he was nearly run over the other morning by the workmen's train.  On Tuesday a passenger coach was drawn over this end of the road.  It came
up from Hamburg.  Great quantities of coal dirt are hauled down the line, sometimes as high as fifteen cars at a time and several trains daily.  It is being used as track ballast near
Pottsville Republican of January 28, 1892

An early morning freight train coming to Pottsville ran into the rear end of another train at the switches below the bridge at Schuylkill Haven, wrecking several cars, the engine,
and throwing the tender from the track and strewing freight and cars in every direction.  One employee, whose name we were unable to learn, ad his hand mashed.  The wreck was
so serious that the 6:15 a. m. passenger train did not leave until 8:15 for Philadelphia and points down the road.  All up trains were late in consequence.  The engineer of the up
train was to go on the siding below the bridge but never saw the preceding train until he struck the caboose, notwithstanding the rear brakeman was back to flag the up train.  The
second brakeman had his two arms broken and otherwise badly bruised.  He was taken to his home in Phoenixville.
Pottsville Republican of November 9, 1891

CONNOR BRIDGE AFIRE - The Long Trestling Narrowly Escapes Danger
THE THREE BRAVE YOUNG GIRLS!  They Make a Timely Discovery While a Sunday Stroll
Yesterday afternoon Miss Kate, daughter of William Beck of Beckville, in company with two Sunday Pottsville lady guests, Misses Annie Detner and Lizzie Kohler,
started out for a walk, crossing the Schuylkill to the east side and as they arrived at the point where the Pennsy runs under the east end of the long trestle from
Connors they discovered the woodwork above to be on fire and getting under good headway.  The brave young ladies preserving their presence of mind
undertook to smother the flames by throwing dirt and sand upon them.  They soon recognized the futility of combating the destroying element in this manner,
when Miss Beck exercised her sprinter agility in another direction.  She ran to the home of Daniel Reichert and gave the alarm.  That gentleman soon formed
himself into a bucket brigade and with a pail of water in each hand hastened to the scene and by a judicious disposition of Schuylkill water was successful in
outening the fire and preventing the threatened destruction to a large portion of this very extensive structure.
The young ladies state that the Lizard Creek train from Mauch Chunk had passed under the bridge but a few minutes earlier in full view and that the probabilities
are that a spark from the locomotive of that train fell upon the tinder like woodwork of the trestle and originated the fire.  As the bridge is not used on Sunday, the
Lehigh Company keep no watchman on duty on that day.  It was certainly a close call and the young ladies no doubt prevented considerable damage to the
structure by their timely discovery and the company owe to them more than passing recognition, while as a "fire company", our old friend, Daniel Reichert, should
receive a liberal contribution with which to keep his old fire apparatus in repair and running order.
Pottsville Republican of May 5, 1892

Silas Farrady, an inmate at the Schuylkill County Almshouse, was given leave to visit Pottsville yesterday, and on his return walked down the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks.  When
he reached the arch at Spring Garden, Schuylkill Haven, he lost his balance and fell to the street below, a distance of about twenty feet, expiring a few hours later.  Farraday was
sixty years old, and for the last five years was an inmate at the almshouse.  He was formerly a resident of Pottsville and was noted as a pugilist.  Failing eyesight was the cause of
the sad accident.  Deputy Coroner Weist of Schuylkill Haven and a jury held a post mortem inquest at noon and returned a verdict of accidental death.  If the body is not claimed by
tomorrow morning it will be sent to Philadelphia for dissection.
These two photos are taken
atop the Lehigh Valley trestle
in 1953 before it was
dismantled.  At left, the view is
westward toward Cressona
and at right the view is
eastward toward Schuylkill
The Call of March 29, 1935

Monday noon, the noon day freight on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, collided with an automobile driven by Mrs. Nat Tuckerman of Pottsville, at a point where the
railroad crosses the Orwigsburg-Schuylkill Haven Pike, near the County Almshouse.  The automobile was somewhat damaged.  Mrs. Tuckerman, who was the only
occupant of the car, escaped with slight body bruises but suffered somewhat from shock.  The automobile was being driven north or in the direction of Pottsville.
The accident occurred about 12:15 o'clock.  The engine and three cars and cabin was crossing over on the spur track from the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks to the
Lehigh Valley Railroad track.  It is believed that the motorist did not notice the approach of the train or hear the whistle.  She had crossed over the tracks in front
of the engine and when over the tracks, swerved the car over to the left with the result that the left front wheel of the automobile struck the left front end of the
engine.  There is but one train each week day that crosses over this connecting track and that is at noon, when this combination passenger and freight train
operating from Lizard Creek Junction to Pottsville, crosses from the Lehigh Valley tracks and backs into the freight station along the Pennsylvania tracks, where
the freight is loaded or unloaded.  The train is usually, and for the past several years, pulled by gas-electric engine.  However, on Monday, by reason of the
gas-electric train being shopped for repairs, one of the big and powerful steam engines of the Lehigh Company was being used.                
The Call of May 17, 1935

Augustus Doerflinger of Schuylkill Haven met death in a horrible manner on Sunday afternoon about two o'clock, when he either fell or plunged from the Lehigh
Valley Railroad bridge near Connor's Crossing.  He struck his head against the post of the guard rail along the old highway at this point.  He suffered a compound
fracture of the skull and death was instantaneous.
The news of the accident quickly spread about Schuylkill Haven and in a few minutes time, there had gathered a large crowd of persons.  Police Chief Deibert was
summoned and he in turn called Coroner Prescott.  Attendants at the Schuylkill Motors Company car lot nearby witnessed the tragedy, having noticed the man
walking along the bridge.  They reported that suddenly they noticed he stopped near the edge and it appeared he lost his balance.  He regained it only to lose it
again and the men were horrified to see the body plunging toward the earth.  The bridge is at least 125 feet high at the point where the accident occurred.  The
deceased was thirty two years of age.  He had been a resident of Schuylkill Haven for some time.  He had been employed at the Berkshire Knitting Mills in
Reading, before moving to Schuylkill Haven.  He had been a patient at the Berks County Hospital and later at the Schuylkill County Hospital, where treatment was
given for the effects of a sunstroke he sustained several years ago.  While living in Schuylkill Haven, he had on a number of occasions caused much worry and
concern on the part of his family.  To survive, he leaves his widow, Mary Haessler of Pottsville; two sons, Billy and Junior aged ten and eight, respectively.  His
mother and a sister, Miss Christine, all of Schuylkill Haven survive.
The Call of January 10, 1936

Ira Batdorf, a well known man of Schuylkill Haven, ended his life Saturday morning about ten o'clock by leaping from the Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge, a short
distance outside the borough limits.  Death is believed to have been instantaneous from internal hemorrhages.  The right arm and right leg were broken and on
the forehead was a deep cut or bruise.  Batdorf, for the past four years had not been in the best of health, although about town daily.  Friends had noticed him
walking toward the railroad but thought nothing serious of the matter.  Four motorists passing near the bridge at the time were witnesses to the tragedy, namely:
Henry Hummel and John Thompson, both of Schuylkill Haven, who noticed Batdorf standing on the edge of the long span as if preparing to make a leap from it.  
Miss Celia Gillespie of Mahanoy City and Miss Helen Kissinger of Pine Grove saw the body hurtling through the air.  The man dropped on the concrete highway
which is crossed by the railway bridge.  Dr. R. W. Lenker, Deputy Coroner, was summoned and he released the body to undertaker D. M. Bittle.  
Mr. Batdorf was born and reared in Schuylkill Haven.  He had been regularly employed at the car shops up until four or five years ago, at which time he suffered a
severe attack of illness.  He had never quite fully recovered his health and frequently seemed to be sullen and depressed.  The deceased was forty five years of
age and is survived by his wife and one daughter, Dora of Detroit.  Also his father, Isaac Batdorf of Reading; two brothers Merritt and Robert, both of Schuylkill
Haven and two sisters, Mrs. Robert Reese of Schuylkill Haven and Mrs. Charles Kleiberstein of Tremont.  The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon from the
D. M. Bittle funeral home.  Reverend E. S. Noll had charge of the service with interment in Cressona.    
The Call of July 26, 1946

Charles Harold Krammes, nine year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Krammes of 119 Haven Street, was killed this morning at 10:40 o'clock at the Garfield Avenue
arch by a northbound Lehigh Valley train.  He was hit and thrown ten feet into the bushes. He suffered a fractured skull and a broken left leg.  He and two other
children were playing there and only two of the children were able to get across the tracks.  The crew was composed of Claude D. Moyer, conductor, William D.
Kemmerer, engineer, Clifford J. E. Grotz, fireman, all of Lehighton, Fred A. Maingold of Lehighton and Charles Miller of Lebanon, trainmen.  Dr. T. C. Rutter, Deputy
Coroner, released the body to the Geschwindt funeral home.  Charles Reinhart investigated the accident.  
The boy was born in Schuylkill Haven on August 18, 1936.  His mother was the former Helen Riegel, a former Orwigsburg resident.  Besides his parents he is
survived by a twelve year old brother Calvin Thomas, Jr., his paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur D. Krammes and his maternal grandfather, Thomas Riegel
of Schuylkill Haven.  He attended Saint John's Evangelical and Reformed Sunday School in Schuylkill Haven.  His funeral will be held Monday afternoon from his
late residence and burial will be made in Schuylkill Memorial Park.
The Pottsville Republican of June 9, 1952

A Schuylkill County Home inmate who gave thousands of people a thrill Saturday afternoon when he hung head down from the eight foot Lehigh Valley Railroad
trestle at Connor's Crossing, was recovering from his experience in the Pottsville Hospital today.  George Morrison, 55, was left with his right leg temporarily
paralyzed, hospital officials say, but otherwise is in good condition.  Morrison lost his footing as he walked along the trestle near its eastern end.  A strong wind
was blowing and it apparently blew his falling body against the steel framework.  His right ankle caught after he had dropped about fifteen feet below the roadbed
and there he hung, swinging like a pendulum forty feet above the Pennsy Railroad tracks, which along with Highway 122 pass under the trestle.  
Guy Hoy, attendant at the Earl Stoyer used car lot first saw the body hanging, but paid little attention to it for a time thinking it was a dummy that had been rigged
up by Schuylkill Haven boys.  "They are always playing there and doing tricks," Hoy said.  He watched for a while and then walked toward the spot and took a closer
look.  He saw it was a man and telephoned Schuylkill Haven state police and the Rainbow Hose Company of Schuylkill Haven.  This was about two o'clock or about
twenty minutes after Hoy first noticed the body.  Four members of the hose company, Robert and Kimber Fenstermacher, Art Sterner and William Nevils put up
ladders and quickly climbed to the trapped man.  When they reached him he was unconscious and appeared to be dead.  A rope was tied about his waist and
within five minutes he was lowered to the roadbed.  He showed first signs of life as he was being lowered.  
Morrison was placed aboard the Schuylkill Haven community ambulance driven by Charles Lechner and taken to Pottsville Hospital where he revived quickly.  
Three members of the state police force who responded to the call had extreme difficulty keeping traffic moving as thousands watched the rescue.  William
Powell, steward at the County Home, said Morrison had been an inmate there since 1930.  He is a former resident of Pottsville.  When questioned by a reporter at
the hospital today and asked if he was scared, Morrison said, "I wish I were dead.  It would be better."  He could not say what he was doing on the trestle or how
the mishap happened.
The Call of February 27, 1931

Building operations for the Pennsylvania Railroad bridge over Centre Avenue will be actively started very shortly.  Thursday morning the work of erecting an office on the site was
started.  Actual excavations, it was expected, would be started Saturday or early the coming week or just as soon as the steam shovel and other excavating equipment arrives on
the scene.  The contracting company is the James McGraw Company of Philadelphia, which company recently completed the Memorial Bridge at Harrisburg.  The company also built
the Market Street bridge, the 47 arch railroad bridge at Harrisburg, recently.  Several years ago this construction company was engaged by the Reading Railroad on the moving of
the river and building of a new roadbed at Port Clinton.  
Mr. William Cullinane of Philadelphia will be the superintendent in charge of the Schuylkill Haven work.  Already many men have applied for work but cannot be taken on as it is
understood only a very small number of men can at any time be used on this particular job.  The superintendent announces that no detour of motor traffic will be required,
although it will be to the motorists interest to proceed with caution along the scene of the operation.  The first work to be taken up will be that of building a spur track at the point
where the iron bridge will be located.  For this purpose, both the excavating of the hill and some fill will be required.  The new bridge will be several hundred yards above the
location of the present underpass.  It may be completed within three months time.  Trains over this section will have to be operated at a very slow speed and it may be necessary
to use two engines to pull the coal and freight trains in order to gain sufficient speed to pass through the cut outside of town.  
The Call of May 22, 1931

Splendid progress is being made on the Pennsylvania Railroad bridge over Centre Avenue by Superintendent William Cullinane and his force of men.  During the week the steel
girders were set in place and the steel road bed bolted to the same.  There are four girders used to span the highway.  On the southeast side will be found a girder 18' 6" and on
the northeast side one of the large girders, size 113' 6".  On the southwest side is a 54' girder and on the northwest side is a 113' 6" girder.  The larger girders weigh approximately
seventy tons each.  Tuesday, the two largest of the girders were placed.  For this purpose the Mount Carbon and Reading wrecking crews brought their derricks to the scene.  A
special side track had been built for the purpose and upon these the steam derrick cars were placed.  This was done in order not to interfere with the operation of trains.  The
work of placing the two larger girders was begun Tuesday morning and completed at 1:30 in the afternoon.  It was completed without a hitch of any kind.  As soon as the steel
roadbed had been set and attached to the girders, the track will be moved onto it and the new work made use of.  The placing of forms for the southeast wing wall will then be
started, it being impossible to build this wall because of the close proximity of the embankment.  It is expected the work on the underpass will be completed within five weeks
time.  Between thirty and thirty five men are employed at this operation.                                                        
The Call of October 21, 1932

Frank Eustace of Pottsville met death Sunday afternoon about three o'clock when he fell from the Pennsylvania Railroad embankment a short distance above the highway
intersection at Connor's.  It is believed the top of his head struck squarely on a stone projecting from the side of the embankment or in the roadbed of the old highway from
Schuylkill Haven to Pottsville.  A fractured skull evidently resulted and death was almost instantaneous.  The deceased at one time was one of the best known professional
baseball players.  He played on teams in the West and in the New England states.  For a number of years he played with the Reading team and was a member of the Pottsville team
in the Atlantic League days, 1908-1909.  He was a third baseman, an excellent place batter, also unusually accurate and sure at bunting.  He was a dangerous man when on base.  He
was noted for playing the game in a scientific manner.  He came to Pottsville thirty five years ago and for a time was employed at the Eastern Steel Mill.  He was fifty nine years of
age.  He is survived by his wife in Pottsville and his father of New York.  Two sisters also survive in New York.
A number of persons in the vicinity of Connor's noticed the man as he fell and rolled down the railroad embankment which is about twenty feet above the highway.  Identification
could not at first be made, as the man had nothing in the pockets of his clothing to give away any clue as to his whereabouts.  The rumor first circulated about town Sunday and
Monday, was to the effect that the man had fallen from the high Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge nearby.  D. M. Bittle, local undertaker, took charge of the body which was later claimed
by his relatives, after having read the description of his person and clothing in the newspapers.
The Call of August 25, 1939

The passenger station of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Schuylkill Haven was robbed Wednesday afternoon by four boys of Pottsville, who were arrested shortly after the
robbery.  The boys were Vernon Jones, fifteen, Edward Petroff, fourteen, Frank Kubashinsky, fifteen and Robert Bowers, sixteen, all of Pottsville.  Police Chief Deibert of Schuylkill
Haven was called as soon as the robbery was discovered.  He sent Officer Bubeck to the scene and the Pennsylvania Railroad notified.  Lieutenant Snyder of the Pennsylvania
Railroad Police force was also called.  Clues were picked up and traced and soon the four were under arrest.  They confessed to the robbery.  Only a part of the amount stolen,
$21.05, was recovered.A hearing was given before Squire Singer of the first named three, because they were of the juvenile age, Thursday morning.  They were committed to the
detention house.  A hearing was given Bowers later and he was committed.  The boys are old offenders, several of them being on parole at this time for being implicated in other
robberies in Pottsville and surrounding towns.
The robbery took place on Wednesday afternoon between 1:30 and 3:30 o'clock.  The boys used a key found on the private porch of Station Master Fisher to open the outside door
to the private part of the station building.  Having gained entrance, they unlocked the door leading from the private hallway into the station.  A twelve inch piece of iron was used
to smash the glass on the ticket window.  This broken, they reached inside the office, turned back the dead latch and walked into the office.  The money was in the drawer and
easily taken.  Following the theft, the office door was locked again, the dead latch being sprung.  All other doors were locked too.  However, the key to the outside door was taken
along but the door itself was not locked.  The discovery of the missing key, when Mr. Fisher desired to enter his home, led to the immediate discovery of the theft.  At the time of
the theft, Station Master Fisher was out of town.  His wife was doing some writing at the desk in the office at the freight house.  The desk, however, is so located in the office that a
view of the station is not possible.  And, although there usually are a number of boys about the freight house, playing baseball, none noticed the boys at work at the station.
Miners Journal of July 10, 1885

A number of Italians were engaged Sunday afternoon in blasting at the cut near Schuylkill Haven, on the line of the new road, on the Drake and Stratton section.  They had prepared
a blast and retired from the spot to await the shot.  The blast not going off as soon as they expected, the three men went back to see what was the matter.  The blast went off just as
they got to the spot.  One of the Italians had both his hands blown off, and was otherwise injured.  Another had one of his arms badly shattered and the third was injured about the
head.  Two of the men are very seriously hurt and it is a question whether they will recover.
The Call of July 19, 1901

A foreigner whose name could not be learned, while passing through this place on the 11:53 train on the Pennsy on Tuesday morning, saw two of his fellow countrymen standing
on the station platform and got off the train to have a little chat with them.  The trio became so absorbed in their conversation that none noticed the train as it pulled out until some
distance away.  "John" ran after the rapidly moving train but could not overtake it.  To add to his misfortune he failed to observe the end of the platform and tumbled in a heap on
the ground, striking a switch as he landed.  He did not complain of any injuries but his appearance clearly showed that he suffered pain.  He could not make himself understood to
Mr. Brensinger, the agent, and a search failed to reveal a railroad ticket.  The conductor had evidently retained this, showing the man's destination was no farther than Reading.  
Shortly afterward, Mr. Brensinger  went to dinner and when he returned the three Italians had disappeared and have not been seen thereabouts since.
The Call of May 7, 1892

Shortly before six o'clock in the evening Wednesday, an old man fell from the Pennsylvania Railroad arch which crosses Dock Street, striking the ground thirty feet below on the
right side of his face with terrible force.  A physician was soon summoned who found that the man was seriously if not fatally injured.  He was conveyed to the Almshouse which
had been his destination and put under attendance.  The man was partially blind and was unable to see in what dangerous quarters he was.  He died a few hours later.
The Call of February 14, 1930

At the preliminary hearing before the Public Service Commission at Harrisburg on Tuesday, in the matter of the underpass at Centre Avenue in Schuylkill Haven, one of the
suggestions to overcome the danger at that point made, was that of lowering the grade of the highway.  The suggestion came from the engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad
Company, Mr. Pugh, who suggested the lowering of the highway two feet at the underpass, which would then provide greater clearance at the edges or sides of the highway.  He
suggested that the curves at either side of the arch be made more sweeping, by a radius of 150 feet.  Upon cross examination, Mr. Pugh admitted the grade of the highway would
have to be dropped at least four feet to provide the proper clearance in the arch and along its sides.  It was also pointed out to Mr. Pugh that even with the lowering of the
highway, the width of the said highway at this point would be but 18 feet, while other portions of it are 30 feet.  The cost of the changes per Mr. Pugh's plan are estimated at
Representatives of the State Highway Department submitted the plan as announced in these columns months ago, as having been practically determined upon at a conference
held on the site.  The plan is to cut the underpass at a point north of the present one and to build it in such a way that the road would be free of curves.  This route would cut
through the Oscar Sterner property and would also require pavements of properties of other residents on the west side of Centre Avenue.  The road is to be 30 feet wide with five
foot shoulders and concrete walks of ten feet on either side.  Cost of the underpass was estimated at $75,000; road work and approaches, $28,000; shifting trolley tracks, $1,485
and property damages to the amount of $39,650 for a total cost of $144,135.  Other plans submitted which do not eliminate the dangerous curve would cost $95,000 and $99,000.  
The railroad bridge which would be required would have a vertical clearance of fourteen feet and capable of supporting 170 tons.  
Properties which would suffer damage by the straightening of the curve at Centre Avenue for a distance on the south side of the present underpass would be those of Ray
Sterner, Clyde Dunkle, Charles Kantner, I. H. Becker and Carl Loy.  Engineers for the State Highway Department, for the County of Schuylkill and representatives of the Motor Club
of Schuylkill County testified before the Commission that they considered the plan as submitted by the State Highway Department to be the most feasible and the best, even
though it would be considerably the most costly.  Permission was granted Engineer Pugh to submit new plans and detailed estimates on the proposition submitted by him for the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company.  The borough of Schuylkill Haven was represented by Solicitor Vincent Dalton, while the township of North Manheim was represented by Attorney
J. Harry Filbert.
The Call of August 28, 1930

The latter part of last week, the contractor began operations on the building of the short section of new highway between Centre Avenue and Connor's.  Good progress has
indeed been made up to this time.  A considerable amount of the excavating of the hill near the Sterner house has been made.  The excavated material is being placed in the field
along the trolley line.  It is being rolled in as it is placed.  Before placing any of the excavated material in the field, it was first necessary to remove every bit of the tall grass of the
pond portion of the field.  The grass was also dug off the banks near the Sterner property before any part of it was excavated.  The specifications for the road required that this be
About thirty five men are employed on this operation, most of them being Schuylkill Haven men.  Tenants in the two frame buildings on Centre Avenue that will be razed, have not
as yet received notice to vacate.  The Oscar Sterner property is now in its new and permanent position, having been moved about twelve feet southwest and twelve feet toward
the old highway.  The foundation of concrete blocks adds to the appearance of the home.  The building was moved without any damage other than the ceiling in the kitchen
cracking a little.  One way traffic is necessitated because of the operations and it is believed that the operation can be completed without the necessity of any detour whatsoever.  
While the high grass in the pond along the highway was being removed prior to depositing of the excavated material, an unusually large number of snakes were disturbed.  There
were killings wholesale and many of the snakes were of good size.  Some delay may be experienced in the building of the road for two particular reasons.  One is that there seems
to be some controversy between the trolley company and the county and the township as to what amount of money is to be paid the company for moving their tracks more to the
west.  In order to provide an easy curve to the underpass, it will be necessary to have the tracks moved.  Another cause for possible delay is the fact that as yet no orders seem to
have been issued for the razing of the two frame houses on the east side of Centre Avenue and the occupants have not as yet received notice to vacate.  These houses will have
to be moved in order to make possible the building of the private road to the Bryant Estate farms on the hill.  The new highway itself will require some portion of the retaining wall
in the front of the properties.  The rate of wage paid for labor is thirty cents.  Rates for operators of the machinery are somewhat higher.  
Friday last, while the tall grass was being cleaned out of the level, the workmen had quite an exciting time, as 47 snakes were dispatched and on Saturday another four.  Among
them were a good sized copperhead and a black snake.  The others were garter and water snakes.  Most of the snakes were of good size.  
Monday morning, H. D. Felix, President of the local Chamber of Commerce and Mayor Scott, interviewed the superintendent on the job in reference to employment of men from
this town.  As a result, local and Cressona men, willing to work at the wage offered, were given employment.  Only such number of men in the organization of the contractor, to
operate the steam roller, scrapers, etc., were retained by the contractor and preference given local men in all other jobs.  The Chamber of Commerce felt that in as much as a
considerable amount of damages will have to be paid by the Schuylkill Haven borough in connection with the new route for this highway, local taxpayers ought to be given first
preference in employment. Thursday the work of cutting down the dangerous hump at the junction of the old highway with the new concrete highway at Connor was started.  
Motorists at night should exercise caution in driving along the old highway on the Pottsville side of the old arch and at the intersection at Connor.
The Call of July 20, 1941

An early morning fire Saturday gutted the interior of the Pennsylvania freight station and destroyed $19,000 in surplus flour and oatmeal stored there.  The building, located along
the Pennsylvania railroad tracks between Pennsylvania Avenue and Haven Street, had been used to store surplus food by the Schuylkill County Institutional District.  A fireman at
the Rainbow Hose Company reported a carload of surplus food had been unloaded at the building Thursday.  Flour and oatmeal were included in this shipment.  
Destroyed in the fire were 3,049 bailers of flour, fifty pounds to a bailer, resulting in a loss of $17,002.64 and 556 cases of oatmeal, twelve three pound packages to a case,
resulting in a loss of $2,004.60.  Firemen were called to the scene by a box alarm pulled at Haven and Dock Streets at 7:45 a. m.  At the time the alarm was sounded the building was
a mass of smoke.  Firemen from the three companies answered the call and battled the blaze for nearly an hour.  Two lines, one of the Rainbow's and one of the Schuylkill's were
left hooked up in case the fire should break out again and the Rainbow Company stayed at the scene in case of a new outbreak.  The four sides of the structure were left charred
by the fire and the inside gutted, John Fenstermacher, assistant fire chief, reported.  Carl Feger, the other assistant fire chief, also directed the firemen in fighting the blaze.
The Call of July 10, 1903

A little girl's presence of mind in the time of danger saved both herself and her brother.  Olive and Michael Shadle, aged eight and five years respectively, children of Mr. and Mrs.
Jacob Shadle of Spring Garden, were sent on an errand by their mother.  Instead of going through the Pennsy arch, they climbed the steep embankment of the railroad and were
crossing the track just as the Pennsylvania "flyer" rounded the curve.  The engineer blew his whistle and the little girl, though badly frightened, dragged her brother off the track
just in time.  
The Call of May 27, 1910

The campaign against trespassing inaugurated by the Pennsylvania and other railroads last fall, is being vigorously prosecuted by the Schuylkill Division of the Pennsylvania
Railroad and the local railroad authorities are putting forth the most diligent efforts to completely stamp out the practice.  The statistics of mortality and injury of trespassers
during recent years is appalling, 47,416 people having lost their lives while trespassing on the railroads of the United States in the past ten years while more than 50,000
trespassers were injured.  Aside from the danger of life and limb there are other menacing aspects of this practice; boys possessed of the wanderlust have found a comparatively
easy means of escape from home by walking the railroad tracks and riding freight trains, and the agricultural sections of the country have been menaced by the presence of large
numbers of tramps who use this means of travel.  All these casualties and many of the accompanying evils might be saved by a rigid enforcement of the law against trespassing,
which in European countries has greatly reduced the practice.
It is not only tramps who are killed or injured while trespassing, but also large numbers of working men their wives and children, who use the railroad tracks as thoroughfares.  
And for all these reasons it is hoped that the cost of imprisonment will not deter the local courts from punishing those who are brought before them by the railroad officers for
breaking the law.  So determined is the Pennsylvania Railroad to break up the trespassing that under the date of May 13, 1910, a notice was issued by Mr. A. V. Moss,
Superintendent of the Schuylkill Division, reading as follows:"Commencing at once, employees while not on duty must not trespass on the Company's tracks or right of way and
employees going to and from work must, wherever possible, use the public highways."
The Company's officers have been instructed to arrest all persons found trespassing on the Company's tracks or right of way, whether employees not in the discharge of their duty
or other persons, and during the past week large numbers of them have been taken before the magistrates in the various towns of the Schuylkill Valley and have been fined or
imprisoned.  This work will go on until the railroad and the community are rid of this nuisance.  No one found trespassing will be spared by the railroad officers and the magistrate
who cooperates with them by inflicting the punishment prescribed by the law upon the guilty is performing a civic duty which can not but result in the saving of life and limb of
citizens and their children, as well as those of the less valuable class represented by the tramp.  The community too will benefit by the material reduction of the tramp evil that will
result from these efforts.
The Call of August 28, 1908

One of the most shocking accidental deaths that has occurred in this vicinity for a long time was that of George Lloyd, who while walking along the path at the top of the big
Almshouse cut on the Pennsylvania Railroad, missed his footing and fell to the railroad below, a distance of ninety feet, and was instantly killed.  Last Thursday evening, Lloyd, who
lives near the Bowen farm just below town bade his wife and children goodbye, saying he was going to spend the evening with his father, Kelley Lloyd, who lives in Spring
Garden.  He visited his father and left the latter's house at 8:30 o'clock to return home.  This was the last seen of him alive.  At 9:30 on Friday morning a Pennsy train crew reported
the body of a man in the cut and upon investigation it proved to be that of Lloyd.  The presumption is that in order to take a short route home, he took the path along the top of the
cut, missed his footing in the dark and fell to his death.  His skull was fractured, the left side of his face was badly scratched and his left arm and shoulder bruised.  He landed
alongside of the tracks, consequently none of the many trains that go through the cut during the night passed over him.  Undertaker D. M. Wagner was summoned and removed
the body to his undertaking establishment where it was viewed by Deputy Coroner Heim and his jury and prepared for burial.  The jury consisted of M. L. Smith, Dr. D. Dechert,
Harry Palsgrove, Frank J. Heim, W. C. Saylor and Charles Wildermuth rendered a verdict of accidental death.  The funeral was held on Monday at 2:00 p. m. from his father's home in
Spring Garden.
The Call of June 18, 1915

Mrs. Horatio Zimmerman, who last Friday morning fell or jumped from the Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge, died at the Pottsville Hospital Friday afternoon from her
injuries.  Deceased was twenty three years of age.  She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Geschwindt of Garfield Avenue.  She was well known in Schuylkill
Haven.  Besides the parents and her husband, two brothers, Herbert and Charles and one sister, Millie, survive.  A three week's old baby also survives.  The
funeral was held Monday afternoon.  Services were conducted by reverend E. G. Leinbach at the home of the deceased and in the First Reformed Church.  
Interment was made in the Union Cemetery.  Coroner G. H. Moore who began an investigation as to whether the woman fell or jumped from the bridge was
satisfied that it was a clear case of suicide and therefore it was not necessary to hold a coroner's inquest.  It was learned that the woman had been subject to
spells of melancholia.  It was thought that during one of these spells the fatal plunge was made.
The Reading Times of June 3, 1886

The engineers of the Pennsylvania and Schuylkill Valley Railroad state the most serious obstacle to the speedy completion of the line are tow heavy cuts, one at Schuylkill Haven
and one at Port Clinton.  In the meantime the tracks are being laid up to these points from either end and it is thought that the line will be in operation to the junction with the
Lehigh Valley Railroad at New Boston by the first of September.
The Reading Times of January 7, 1888

Henry Beard, master carpenter of the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad, met with an accident on Thursday which will keep him confined to the house for some time.  Mr.
Beard is superintending the construction of a large trestle work at Schuylkill Haven.  While engaged in his work on Thursday morning, a heavy timer fell and caught his leg
between the timber and the track.  Both legs were badly bruised, though it is hoped no bones were broken.  He was taken to his home in Norristown for recovery.
The Reading Times of April 8, 1890

A bad wreck occurred on the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad a short distance south of the Schuylkill Haven passenger depot about ten o'clock yesterday morning.  A long
coal train was coming south and just below the station the axle of an eight wheel car broke, causing a number of cars to be piled up and the tracks covered with coal.  The sills for
quite a distance were also somewhat damaged.  No one was hurt.  Passengers were transferred around the wreck and by last evening trains were again running on an extra track
laid around the wreck.
The Philadelphia Times of August 31, 1890

Adam Brown, aged fourteen, employed as a water carrier by the Elmer Bridge Company, in attempting to crawl down one of the iron pillars of the viaduct on the
Schuylkill and Lehigh Valley Railroad, fell a distance of thirty five feet, striking upon the back of his head.  The skull was crushed in and his injuries were
pronounced as fatal.
Philadelphia Times of May 29, 1885

At a special meeting of the Town Council the Chief Burgess was directed to have the eighty Italian laborers on the Reading and Pottsville Railroad, now herded together in one
small house near the center of town, and who by their filthy habits are endangering the health if the public and making themselves a nuisance, moved outside the borough limits.  
The contractors have been notified and will erect shanties for the men further up the line.  There are now nearly a thousand Italian, Hungarian, Greek and Negro laborers working
in the new road within five miles of Pottsville.
Pottsville Journal of December 31, 1913

While rounding the curve about one quarter of a mile below the Pennsylvania Railroad freight station, at Schuylkill Haven last evening, a wheel on the tender of the engine that
draws the Wilkes Barre flyer due in Pottsville at 6:35 in the evening left the rails and then jumped to the sills.  Fortunately the train was keeping within the speed limit while going
through the yards and the engine was quickly brought to a stop.  The passengers were given a little shake up when the emergency brakes were applied but did not suffer any
discomfort.  Word was sent to Pottsville and the Mount Carbon wreckers were sent down.  In the meantime a special train was made up in this city.  Some of the passengers walked
to Schuylkill haven and took the trolley car to Pottsville while others waited until the wheels were replaced.  The train pulled ahead and then transferred to the accommodation
train due here at 7:20.  Some damage was done to the tank of the engine and it will have to go to the shops for repairs.  The special train for Wilkes Barre did not leave here until
after eight o'clock.  A number of local residents were aboard the flyer.
Pottsville Journal of December 26, 1913

Michael Clark, an inmate at the Schuylkill County Almshouse for the past eight years, was found dead this morning along the tracks of the Lehigh Valley Railroad,
directly back of what is known as the White Church in Schuylkill haven and less than a half mile from the institution which he called his home.  Clark, who was
nearly 70 years of age, asked permission with a number of others to attend church in Schuylkill haven yesterday morning.  The request was granted.  The other
inmates returned home but nothing was heard of Clark.  When found this morning he had a deep gash in his forehead but is supposed that he obtained this when
falling and striking his head against one of the railroad sills.  Clark at one time resided at Shenandoah although his birthplace on the records of the institution is
given as Girardville.  Up to within a few years ago he assisted in the repairing of shoes at the institution.  Coroner Moore was notified and will conduct an
investigation.  A namesake, Michael Clark, appears as a claimant on the books at the Almshouse.
Pottsville Journal of January 4, 1919

A work train on the Lizard Creek branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, was wrecked at about six o'clock Friday evening about one hundred yards west of
the Schuylkill County Almshouse.  The tender of the engine and a combination caboose were precipitated down the bank, which is of considerable height.  The
coach, the "sleeper" for the men was derailed but it kept upright.  The workmen who were aboard were shaken up but not injured.  The locomotive kept the
tracks. The train was bound for Pottsville, where it was to remain over until morning to take workmen down the road.  It is believed the rails spread.  Repairmen
were at once put to work to repair the way.
The Call of January 26, 1917

While returning from Schuylkill Haven to Pottsville on Saturday night, a horse driven by Fred Hilderbrandt and William Higgins, of Pottsville, took fright at a passing automobile at
Seven Stars and ran away.  Hilderbrandt was thrown out and cut about the head and Higgins jumped from the team in time to escape injury.  The horse bolted from the roadway to
the railroad tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad and ran a mile to the trestle over the roadway, where he was caught in the sills and later killed by a coal train enroute to Schuylkill
haven.  A four hour search resulted in the finding of Hilderbrandt badly hurt.  At first it was thought that the men had been thrown into the river and preparations were being made
for a search of the stream when they were found.
The Call of May 12, 1916

On Tuesday afternoon of this week, four of the officials of the Pennsylvania Railroad made a tour of inspection of the borough of Schuylkill Haven and adjoining territory for the
purpose of obtaining first hand information as to available industrial sites along and near the Pennsylvania Railroad, also to be the question of labor supply, quality of workmen,
and available property for building additional homes for any possible increase in population as the result of adding new industries to the borough.  The officials arrived on the
Wilkes Barre express at 11:30 a. m. and were met at the station  by a committee of the new Industrial Association of the borough.  The railroad company originally became
interested in the borough as a result of the efforts of this new Industrial Association, who, through correspondence and personal interviews stirred up the officials of the company
to the extent that they expressed a desire to come to the borough and go over the ground in person.  The officials were taken in autos to the home of Reverend V. A. Dever, a
member of the reception committee, where lunch was served.  Reverend Dever was the host and fulfilled his duties in a way that reflected not only great credit to himself but also
to the borough, which he, along with the other members of the committee, represented.
After lunch the party was taken by autos over the various parts of the borough and outlying districts and an especially minute examination was made of the available
manufacturing sites along and near the PRR right of way.  The company officials appeared to be keenly interested in the welfare of the borough and they were especially
impressed with the fact that the borough has so many industries employing female help and that some of this female help must be imported from neighboring towns.  This they
considered a very good inducement to prospective industries employing men as the underwear mills would afford work for all the members of any families added to the town.  The
railroad officials were very much impressed with the many opportunities which the borough has to offer and they left on the 3:03 p. m. train chock full of information which they
stated could be, and would be, used by them to the advantage of the borough.
The officials were John H. Whittaker, Industrial Agent for the P. R. R.; George E. Fetterman, Assistant Industrial Agent; R. Allen Turner, Freight Solicitor and Mr.. Fisher, Division
Passenger Agent.  The local committee consisted of G. W. P. Saul, Reverend V. A. Dever, R. J. Hoffman, Ge. E. gangloff and H. D. Felix.  Station agent Grubb accompanied the party.
Due to space constraints, the Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley Railroad articles and pictures are on this
separate page.  Use these links to return to the RAILROADS or TROLLEYS page.
Due to space constraints, the Pennsylvania and
Lehigh Valley Railroad articles and pictures are on
this separate page.  Use these links to return to the
New articles just added including: on the Pennsy, a near disaster east of town and a slight wreck near Bowen's farm in
1919 and also in 1919 the Lehigh Valley bridge gets a new paint job.
The Call of March 14, 1919

A slight wreck occurred on the Pennsylvania Railroad a short distance below town, at what is known as the water trough near Bowen's farm on Monday afternoon about 1:30
o'clock.  Three loaded hoppers jumped the track.  No one was injured but traffic was tied up until late in the evening and north and south bound trains were run over the Reading
railroad during that time.
The Call of July 25, 1919

Miss Carrie Reichert, residing on the Filbert farm south of town averted what might have been a serious railroad wreck on the Pennsylvania Railroad near the deep cut.  Returning
from picking berries last week she noticed an object on the rails of the road and upon examining the same found an inch and a quarter iron bar hooked to the rails.  She promptly
removed the same and in a short time the north bound express happened by.  The company police are investigating the matter to learn who the would be train wreckers are.
The Call of September 26, 1919

For the past three weeks a crew of ten painters in charge of "Boss" Snyder have been engaged in painting the iron and steel work of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
bridge.  They intend to give the same two coats of paint and this job will take about three months to complete.  The men are boarding in a bunk car that has been
placed on a specially built siding near the bridge.  The bridge has not been painted in the past twelve years, the summer of 1907 being the last time it felt paint.  
Boss Snyder was on the job at that time also.