This section includes various articles on news
on the home front during World War Two.
As seen on the front page of the Pottsville Republican on June 30, 1944:

Sixth Over the Top

Schuylkill Haven...
Quota $325,000---Sold $359,593

Schuylkill Haven Thursday night became the sixth community in Southern
Schuylkill County to surpass its Fifth War Loan quota.  According to the
official figures of Chairman R.R. Sterner and Co-Chairman Charles
Manbeck, that community has now sold $359,593.50 in War Bonds, well in
excess of the $325,000 it was asked to raise.  The announcement was
made last night following a War Bond Premiere at the community's Rio
Theatre where bond purchasers enjoyed the movie hit,"Gas Light".  Sale of
$5625 in bonds was realized through the show.
This section will contain items in the news from
the front in World War Two.
Pottsville Republican of July 22, 1944
Sgt. Stanley M. Perock, N. Berne St., Schuylkill Haven has been
awarded the Silver Star Medal for gallantry in action in the European
Theater of Operations.  Word has been received by his wife, the
former Miss Mildred V. Felty of his citation.
The commendation reads as follows: "For gallantry in action during
the period May 11 to May 14, 1944 in Italy.  During a bitter engagement
with the enemy upon a vitally important hill, when his platoon leader
had been killed, the squad leader wounded, and numerous casualties
suffered by the platoon, Sgt. Perock, acting on his own initiative, took
command of a group of six men and held the position.  Through three
days of intense combat, under heavy artillery and machine gun fire, he
led the group in repulsing enemy attacks through the left flank of their
company's position.  Sgt. Perock's action in leading his small group
successfully defeating the attempts to flank the company reflect the
highest traditions of the military service.
May 17, 1945
Sergeant Harold Reber, son of Mrs. Sylvania
Reber 50 South Berne Street of Schuylkill
Haven, was wounded in action in Italy on
April 23.  He suffered wounds of the arm and
chest according to word received by his
wife who is living in Shelby, North Carolina.
From the front page of The Call on October 2, 1942


Gigantic Heap Contains an Estimated 50-60 Tons
Fine Cooperation Shown

An immense pile of junk piled along St. John Street at the bank at the corner of
Main Street to the Schuylkill River is the result of a concerted effort of all
organizations and individuals in town who joined Wednesday evening in the
gigantic scrap drive.
Chairman Roy A. Scott Sr. who directed the campaign estimated fifty to sixty
tons were collected but it is difficult to estimate due to the nature of the pile.
The pile at St. John and Union Streets previously was a drop in the bucket
compared to this drive.
The whistles blew at 5:15 and trucks manned with men and Boy Scouts combed
the town with twenty five trucks.  The Civic Club, American Legion, Rotary Club
and Lions Club all assisted.  An odd assortment was collected including stoves,
refrigerators and anything metal.  A 1904 Franklin auto was donated by the
Schuylkill Haven Body and Fender Works as was an old safe given by Dr.
Dechert.  A sledgehammer was used to open the safe which revealed records
of the Page Lodge in town.  The Legion donated four cannons from the Parkway

*On October 30, The Call reported that seventy nine tons had been collected
and sold for scrap for $1024.20 which will be used for patriotic activities such as
sending gifts to soldiers.  
From The Call of July 20, 1943

A second shipment of money belts was shipped last week by the Gifts
Committee to men and women of Schuylkill Haven in the armed forces.  A total of
178 belts were mailed with a card enclosed explaining that the belt was from the
people of town.  Money from the scrap drive was used for costs.  The first letter
of appreciation was received from Albert L. Byerly who is stationed in
Minneapolis, Minnesota in the Navy Medical Department.
....check back for continuing
additions to this page.....
On September 14, 1946, Schuylkill Haven held a celebration honoring those from
town who had served in the second World War.  The following is an article from
the Pottsville Republican of September 16 recording the event.

The celebration held in Schuylkill Haven on Saturday in honor of all of the boys who
served in the late war from Schuylkill Haven and vicinity was a complete success.  
Starting at 2:30 with the parade, events followed in succession until a late hour when a
grand display of fireworks climaxed the day.  The veterans and their wives were
guests of the community and every possible effort was made to show the service men
that their neighbors in the hometown appreciate their sacrifice and service.  The
celebration was concluded by a memorial service held under the lights at Rotary Field
Sunday night for the 33 men who gave their lives during the conflict.  
The town was brightly decorated for the occasion and people began to arrive early.  
Among the crowds were many former residents.  By 2:30, the sidewalks along the
parade route were filled with people.  The parade started promptly at 2:30 and moved
out of the Fairmount section in six compact and colorful divisions.  Members of the
civic club, sponsors of the welcome home celebration served as division leaders.
The local high school band and vets colors led the parade.  They were followed by
local, state, and military police followed by the gold star mothers in new cars and the
float of the VFW which paid tribute to those mothers, thus giving them the place of
honor.  Next in line was a band of the Military Police Company, No. 772 of Carlisle PA.  
The full company of army men followed, marching in close order and giving a thrilling
military color to the line.  The local post VFW and their float "Thanks" followed.  The
Baker Post and their band, the Cressona Cornet Band, with the Legion and Auxiliary
floats were next in line.
The G. Frank Brumm corps led the division of floats.  The Tremont High School Band
supplied music for the division of bicycles filled with many boys and girls many of
whom had spent hours decorating.  There was one boy in line driving a goat.  The
leader of the Orwigsburg Community Band was a tall and angular female impersonator.  
The Tremont High School Band and the Minersville Drum and Bugle Corps marched in
the Firemen's Division.  The firemen's division was a noisy one.  The following
companies had equipment in line: Rainbow Hose, Schuylkill Haven, Liberty Hose of
town, the Alerts of Saint Clair, Good Will of Cressona, Good Will of Frackville,
Friendship of Orwigsburg, whose equipment included the oldest of the early hand
pumpers, Good Will, Humane, American Hose and Phoenix of Pottsville, Rescue of
Minersville, Port Carbon Fire Company, Forrestville Hose Company, Yorkville Hose
Company, Citizen's of Palo Alto.  Modern and highly efficient fire fighting apparatus
was shown.  The parade required more then an hour and a half to pass any given point
and was more then the length of the entire route.  At five o'clock supper was served
by the committee to all veterans and their ladies on the high school playground.  
Excellent food was also provided at Baker Post headquarters and the VFW home.
The VFW ladies auxiliary served meals in the hall of the Ketner building.  Haven
Motors Clarence A. Bair, tallest and heftiest fireman in this section, marched with his
company, the Rainbows.
For the evening, Saturday, the events took place on Rotary Field under the brilliant
lights.  The high school band gave a concert and were followed by the Van Buren Hale
Chorus.  2500 people gathers in the park and another 500 along the hill on East Main
Street.  An excellent vaudeville show was staged after which the pyrotechnic display
took place.  On Sunday evening a service for the 33 boys who gave their lives was
Pottsville Republican of April 28, 1945

                                                      News of Soldiers
Sergeant Vincent J. McGlone, 22, 407 Dock Street of Schuylkill Haven, who was in the fight for Iwo
Jima, stopped sweating he says when two Japs he had wounded committed hara-kiri right after his
rifle jammed.  He squeezed the trigger to finish them off but the only response he got was a click.  
The Japs were close enough to throw a hand grenade at him but all they did was to tap their
helmets with grenades, held them to their stomachs and blew themselves apart.
During World War Two, the front page of the Pottsville
Republican contained listings of the dead, missing, and
wounded from the county on a daily basis.  Schuylkill
Haven soldiers were listed with the others as seen below.
March 29,1945 -
S/Sgt Leon E. Lins,
Schuylkill Haven, only son
of Mr. and Mrs. Francis
Lins, Leonard Street has
been killed in action over
Formosa according to a
War Department telegram
received Wednesday
evening.  Sergeant Lins
entered the service July
13, 1943 received training
as a plane mechanic at
Keesler Field Mississippi,
and graduated from aerial
gunnery school at
Harlington Texas and then
went to March Field in
California.  He went
overseas March 28, 1944,
served as a technical
engineer on a B-24 and
was awarded the Air
Medal.  He was married to
the former Arlene Reed, 26
Williams Street, Schuylkill
Haven and they have one
son, Leon aged four
April 26, 1945 -
PFC Jack Kremer, 20 year
old son of Mr. and Mrs.
George "Jack" Kremer,
217 Parkway, Schuylkill
Haven was killed in action
in Germany April 14th,
according to a War
Department telegram
received by his parents
late Wednesday
afternoon.  He enlisted in
the service on February
23, 1943, training at Fort
Bliss Texas, Marysville
California and Camp Cook
California and was in
anti-aircraft for fifteen
months. Later he was
sent to Camp McCoy,
Wisconsin and left for
overseas last November
landing in England and
then going through
France, Belgium,
Luxembourg and
Germany.  He graduated
Schuylkill Haven High
School in 1942 and was a
member of Grace
Congregational Church of
Schuylkill Haven and had
been employed by the
Night Comfort Company of
Schuylkill Haven.  Besides
his parents are two
brothers, Harry, A S
Sampson Naval Training
Station, New York and
Earl, and a sister Carol at
home.  Mr. Kremer, the
boy's father, a permanent
tip staff in the Orphan's
Court, is a veteran of
World War One, having
served 18 months in
France with the Engineers.
 He was also a well known
baseball player.
April 28, 1945 -
T4 Mark H. Fidler, husband
of Mrs. Blanche Fidler, 218
Market Street, Schuylkill
Haven, was killed in action
in Germany on April 15th,
official word having been
received by his wife on
Friday.  He was the son of
Mr. and Mrs. Horace Fidler,
Cressona, and was in
service since April 25,
1942.  His wife is the former
Blanche Peiffer, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. George Peiffer,
Schuylkill Haven.  Surviving
besides his wife and
parents are the following
brothers and sisters: Mrs.
Phaon Aungst, Pine Grove,
Mrs. Paul Ney, Sch. Haven,
Mrs. Max Pearson,
Williamsport, Mrs. Thomas
Bair at home, Morris,
Easton, Paul, Ithaca New
York, Ralph at home and
Lee also in the service.
April 21, 1945 -
Sergeant Charles J. Peel, son
of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Peel,
24 Stanton street of Schuylkill
Haven who was reported
missing in action in Germany
in November 1944 is now
reported to have been killed in
action in Germany on
November 4th.  Sergeant Peel
was in service for four years
and was one of three sons in
service.  His brother Private
Robert and Sergeant Matthew
are also in the armed forces.  
He is survived by his parents,
brothers and one sister, Mrs.
Michael Drotter.
At times the newspaper reported other news from
the war which was less saddening.
April 16, 1945
The Cresina
brothers of
Schuylkill Haven
who met on Leyte
Island, the first time
they had seen each
other in two and a
half years.  Mike
has been overseas
eighteen months as
a technical
inspector with the
Fifth Air Force
"Hawkeye" photo
unit while Bill is a
member of a
recently arrived
company and had
been on Leyte more
then a month
before his brother
Mike located him.  
Mike is in the Army
since 1940 and is a
Regular Army man,
while Bill is in three
years.  It was a
happy day for each
of them.  A brother
Eli is also in the

April 25, 1945

The Trout brothers are the sons
of Mr. and Mrs. Roy F. Trout, 12
East Liberty Street of Schuylkill
Haven.  Sergeant Roy is in the
AAF, Key Field, Mississippi.  He
is 24 years old and in the
service 39 months.  He enlisted
January 12, 1942and in June
1943, he married Edwina Clark,
Philadelphia, Mississippi where
he is stationed.  Mrs. Trout is a
beautician.  He was employed by
the Walk-In Shoe factory and
attended the Schuylkill Haven
S/Sergeant Frank J. Trout
entered the service January 25,
1943 taking his training at Camp
Phillips, Kansas.  He left for
overseas in November 1943.  He
is in the 19th Corps of the Ninth
Army Ordnance Auto
Maintenance Company and his
outfit has recently been cited for
bravery by General Simpson.  
Each of the men received a gold
wreath to wear on the right
sleeve and they also received a
plaque for the company.  He is
now in Germany and has been
overseas 17 of his 27 months in
the service.  He had been
employed at the Aluminum plant
in Cressona.  He writes to his
parents frequently and is waiting
patiently for V-E Day since he
has seen hard fighting for the
past nine months without any
time off.  He has seen a number
of Schuylkill Countians since he
is in Germany.
Private John J. Trout, 20, is in a
Quartermaster Truck Company
stationed at Fort Jackson, South
Carolina.  He entered the
service on December 22, 1943
and had been stationed at Fort
Lee, Virginia before going to
South Carolina.  He attended the
Auburn High School and was
employed by Price Battery Corp,
Hamburg.  When he first was
assigned he was in the
Quartermaster Hospital platoon.
Lawrence R. Trout, A. S., 18
years old, is at Sampson New
York Naval Training Station
since February 22, 1945.  He
graduated from Auburn High
School at the age of 17 and was
employed at the Price Battery
Corporation, Hamburg.  
April 13, 1945 -
Sergeant Hector A. Glotfelter,
husband of Mrs. Hilda A.
Glotfelter, 404 Parkway
Schuylkill Haven, has been
reported missing at sea on a
routine aircraft flight on a P.
D. airplane which took off
from Charleston, South
Carolina Army Airfield,
Wednesday morning.  A
telegram from the War
Department was delivered to
his wife Friday morning.  
Sergeant Glotfelter's plane
left the field at 7:09 in a
formation flight and the only
radio report received was at
10:45 when the formation
broke up because of bad
weather.  The P. D. plane was
last seen at 11:40 o'clock at
about 2500 feet, climbing
approximately 42 miles
southeast of the base.  A
search by the Army Air Force
and the Navy is being
conducted and his wife has
been informed that she will be
notified on it's progress.  
Sergeant Glotfelter is about
28 years of age and is
married to the former Hilda
Mengle, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Lynn Mengle, Sch.
Haven.  They are the parents
of two young daughters, Anne
Marie 6 and Sharon Lee 2.  He
entered the service in
January 1944, with the air
force and was employed at
the Cressona plant while his
family resided in Sch. Haven,
they having moved to
Uniontown several years ago.  
His parents are Mr. and Mrs.
William Glotfelter at present
living in Uniontown.  His wife
and two daughters are
residing at the Mengle home
at 404 Parkway.
September 14, 1944 -
Missing - PFC Eugene C.
Schaffer, son of the late Eugene
Schaffer, Schuylkill Haven has
been officially reported missing
in action on August 26.  The
telegram from the War
Department was received by
his aunt, Mrs. Bertha
Achenbach, Schumacher
Avenue, Schuylkill Haven on
Tuesday.  PFC Schaffer entered
the Army in February 1943 and
trained in Texas.  He has been
overseas since October 1943.  
He is an only child.
All rights reserved.
June 29, 1944 -
Word was received by the War
Department Tuesday evening
by Mr. and Mrs. Edwin J.
Phillips, 491 West Columbia
Street, that their only son, Ivan
R. Phillips of the U. S.
parachute infantry was killed
in action in France on June 16.  
Ivan enrolled June 29, 1943,
just after his graduation from
Schuylkill Haven High School
and entered the service July
13.  He was sent to Fort
Wheeler, transferred to Fort
Bennington and then to Fort
Meade and finally embarked
for England.  He was popular
with a large circle of friends
and took part in many school
activities.  He had one sister,
Phyllis, who survives with his
As the war ended many families including
some from Schuylkill Haven were happy to
receive the news that their soldiers had been
liberated from German prisoner of war camps.  
Below are three such announcements.
May 21, 1945 -
PFC Lewis W. Fidler, son of
Jeremiah and Ellen Fidler,
Brommerstown is
hospitalized somewhere in
the European theatre, the
War Department has
announced.  The family was
informed that PFC Fidler was
hospitalized after he had
been returned to military
control after previously
having been reported
missing.  He was with the
infantry and has been in the
service two years and
overseas since last July.  He
was born in North Manheim
Township and is a member
of the Summer Hill Church.  
He has the following
brothers and sisters, Fay,
Ruddy, Grace, Betty, Fern and
Mabel, at home, Harry
Lewistown Valley.
May 28, 1945 -
T/SGT Robert S. Miller son of
Mr. and Mrs. George Miller,
12 Coal street of Schuylkill
Haven, a top turret gunner,
who was injured and was
taken captive after his plane
was shot down over
Germany on February 21,
1944 has been returned to
military control.  The news
was contained in a telegram
received by his parents on
Sunday.  The last letter
received from Robert was
on November 17.  He has
three brothers also in
May 18, 1945 -
S/SGT Joseph R. Smith, 21,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Smith, St. James Street,
Schuylkill Haven, who was
reported missing in action
over Germany since May
27, 1944 and later reported
a prisoner of the German
government, is now
reported to have returned
to military control on April
22nd and is hospitalized.  
Sergeant Smith is a
member of the 8th Air
Force and was a radio
operator on a B-17.  He had
been awarded three Oak
Leaf Clusters and had
completed a number of
combat missions.  He
enlisted in the service on
November 20, 1942.  He is
hospitalized in England.  He
has a brother Harold
serving in the Navy.
It was apparent that Schuylkill Haven was greatly anticipating the end of the war as is
evidenced by this article in the Pottsville Republican on October 10, 1944.  The town had
begun planning a victory parade seven months prior to the end of the European war.

At the monthly meeting of Schuylkill Haven Town Council held Monday evening, Chief
Burgess Haldeman presented tentative plans for a Victory Parade to be held locally an
hour after definite news of victory in Germany is heard.  Committees are being
appointed by various civic groups and hose companies so that there will be no
confusion and an orderly celebration may be held.  Willis Bashore and Claude Sausser
were appointed by council to assist in formulating final arrangements.  In a discussion
which followed it was proposed that the fire siren would be sounded and church bells
rung to notify residents of the good news.  Stores, hotels, and industries may be asked
to discontinue work for the remainder of the day.
The two articles below note the death and
the honoring of Captain Robert E. Roeder
Captain Roeder Killed in Action
 Given Congressional Medal

Rome March 1  -  Captain Robert E. Roeder, whose mother Cora Roeder,
lives at Summit Station, Pa. has been awarded the Congressional Medal
of Honor posthumously for his courage and leadership during the long
battle of Mount Battaglia, last September.
It was during that battle that the 350th Regiment, to which Captain
Roeder was attached, beat back repeated German counter attacks,
despite heavy losses.
Major General Paul W. Kendall, commander of the U. S. 88th Division,
who announced the award yesterday, said the medal would be
presented to the captain's mother.
Roeder commanded a company assigned to hold the summit.  The first
enemy attack came 35 minutes after the company was in position; but
was repulsed along with five others in the ensuing 34 hours.
The 350th's positions were overrun when the Germans attacked a
seventh time with flame throwers after an artillery barrage, but Captain
Roeder led his company in a hand to hand fight.
He was wounded by shellfire and carried unconscious to a command
post.  Regaining consciousness, he dragged himself to the doorway,
braced himself in a sitting position and opened fire on the advancing
Germans with a rifle, killing at least two, while shouting orders to his
men.  Then a shell burst a few feet away, killing him.
The citation credited Roeder's courage and leadership as responsible
for the American's retaining the strategic heights.
Legion to Go to Gap for Roeder
 Medal of Honor Presentation

May 10, 1945 - Members of the local post 67 of the American Legion will go to Indiantown Gap Saturday
afternoon to participate in the ceremonies in connection with the presentation of the Medal of Honor
posthumously to Captain Robert E. Roeder.  The Medal will be presented to his mother, Mrs. Cora Roeder,
Summit Station.
All persons who can furnish cars are requested to contact M. M. Willson, First Vice Commander, at the Post
headquarters as soon as possible.  Cars will assemble at the headquarters between eleven and twelve
The program at Indiantown Gap includes a tour of the reservation and a review on Muir Field.  The
ceremonies will begin at one o'clock.
The nation's highest military award for heroism above and beyond the call of duty will be presented to
Captain Roeder's mother.  He died on Mount Battaglia last September.  The successful capture and defense
of the hill made possible the Fifth Army offensive in the Po Valley.
Captain Roeder served in the Army in peacetime, having enlisted June 4, 1936.  He went to Hawaii in 1939
and came back March 1942 and entered Officer's Training School, receiving his commission in June 1942,
and went overseas in December 1943, being promoted to captain in Italy.  His father died after he went
overseas.  There is a brother, Sergeant Charles Roeder also in the Army.  Several hundred veterans are
expected to go from Schuylkill County.
January 23, 1945 -
Private Stanley J. Skubish,
20, son of Nicholas and
Pauline Skubish, North
Manheim Township, Willow
Lake was killed January 3 in
Luxembourg, according to a
telegram received at the
Skubish home today.
He entered the service in
June of 1943 and had been
with a Medical Corps unit until
recently when he was
transferred to the infantry.  
The family formerly lived in
Saint Clair and for a time was
located in West Virginia
where Private Skubish was
graduated from high school.  
He was a member of SS
Peter and Paul's Church in
Saint Clair.
He has a brother, Edmund,
stationed for a long time in
Hawaii, now honorably
discharged and working at
Cressona, and three sisters,
Frances, Philadelphia,
engaged in government work,
Victoria and Eleanor at home
and Mrs. Michael Spontak of
March 19, 1945 -
PFC Earl F. Linder, 21, son of
Carl and Edna Linder,
Pottsville RD #3, was killed
on March 8 at Iwo Jima
according to word received
by the parents from the War
Department.  He had been in
the service since May of
1943 and overseas since
December of 1944.  He was
born at Cressona and
educated in the schools of
North Manheim Township.  
He was a member of the First
Reformed Church at
Schuylkill Haven.  Besides
his parents, he is survived by
a brother, Willard, Schuylkill
Haven, and these sisters;
Mrs. Grace Meyers,
Fredericksburg and Ruth and
Esther at home.
These two announcements tell of the fortunes of two brothers from
Schuylkill Haven who were captured and wounded respectively.
Missing Now Prisoner   
September 27, 1944

PFC Lewis Zweizig, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs.
William Zweizig, 21 William Street,
Schuylkill Haven who was reported missing
in action in France on July 11, is now a
prisoner of the German government
according to a telegram his mother
received from the War Department.  He
entered the service two years ago and has
been overseas since November 1943.  He
was in the infantry.  Lewis, who will be 22
on October 5 has three brothers in service;
PFC Robert, somewhere in France, S 2/C
Paul at training school in Maryland and S
2/C Kenneth in Rhode Island; two sisters,
Mrs. Morton Bittle and Grace Zweizig, both
of Cressona and Arthur, Clarence and
Lamar at home.
January 24, 1945

Corporal Robert J. Zweizig, 29, son of Mr.
and Mrs. William Zweizig, 21 William Street,
Schuylkill Haven, was wounded in action in
Belgium on January 14, according to a
telegram received by his mother from the
War Department on Monday.  He entered
the service on March 20, 1942 and is a
member of a tank battalion and has been in
service overseas for one year.  He has
three brothers in service; PFC Lewis, a
prisoner of the Germans since July 11, S
1/C Paul and S 2/C Kenneth both on sea
duty and the following other brothers and
sisters; Mrs. Morton Bittle and Grace, both
of Schuylkill Haven and Arthur, Clarence,
and Lamar at home.
Other men from Schuylkill Haven were
also wounded during the hostilities.
October 19, 1944
Private Harry Reed, 19,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Melvin
Reed was wounded in
Italy on September 26 and
has received the Purple
May 5, 1945
Private Robert E. Strause, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Paul Strause, Avenue A in Schuylkill Haven
was slightly wounded in Germany on April 11.  
Word has been received through a telegram
from the War Department on Tuesday.  This
is the second time he was wounded having
received wounds on July 27, 1944 while in
service in France.  He entered the service on
march 27, 1943 and trained in Louisiana
before leaving for duty overseas.
October 28, 1944
Sergeant Russell Schwenk, son of Mr. and
Mrs. Rufus Schwenk, West Columbia Street,
Schuylkill Haven was slightly wounded in
action in Holland, according to a War
Department telegram received by his parents
on Thursday.  Sergeant Schwenk, a
paratrooper, enlisted in the Army on August
13, 1943 and received his training at Fort
Benning Georgia.  He participated  in the
invasion on D-Day and later entered Holland.  
He is a graduate of the Schuylkill Haven High
School and prior to entering the Army was
employed at Middletown.  He has two sisters,
Ann and Betty and one brother, Robert.
January 24, 1945
Private Howard Baylor, Schuylkill Haven, a
former resident of Kempton, was officially
reported to have been slightly wounded in
action in Luxembourg on January 7, through
a telegram received by Thelma Koch, his
fiancée of Schuylkill Haven, from the War
Department.  He received his basic training
at Fort Blanding Florida and has been in
service overseas since November 1944.
From the Pottsville Republican of January 13, 1945


Private Richard Coller, Schuylkill Haven, who participated in the campaigns in
Africa, Sicily, and Italy is home on a furlough.  At Salerno, he was wounded when a
land mine exploded near him and was in the hospital eleven days suffering from
concussion.  At Anzio, a sniper's bullet struck him a glancing blow at the helmet
line on his forehead causing a slight concussion which sent him to the hospital.  
He has been awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and the Soldier's Medal.
News articles on individual soldiers
from Schuylkill Haven appeared in
the Pottsville Republican regularly.
September 16, 1944 -
S/2C Willis E. Woomert
who entered the Navy on
March 17, 1944 is now
aboard a destroyer.  He
is the son of Mrs. Mabel
Woomert, Schuylkill
Haven RD.  He received
his basic instruction at
Sampson, New York.  He
is married to the former
Thorne Reber, 413 East
Main Street, Schuylkill
Haven and they are the
parents of a daughter,
Barbara Ann, aged three
and Willis Jr. aged 22
months.  He has two
sisters, Mrs. Arietta
Moyer and Mrs. George
Gaydos both of Schuylkill
January 10, 1945 -
Shown checking the engine
cowling of a plane is Private
Marlin H. Bast, 24, of
Schuylkill Haven, an Eighth
Air Force B-17 Flying
Fortress airplane mechanic
who recently completed one
years service overseas with
the 452nd Bomb Group.  
Private Bast checks more
then 25 cables for tension,
strength and operation,
tests countless instruments
and life saving equipment.  
Oil, gas strainers must be
drained and cleaned,
gasoline, glycol supplies
watched and magnetos and
batteries changed when
necessary.  The mechanic
is a member of the Third
Bombardment Division- the
division cited by the
president for its now
historic England to Africa
shuttle bombing of a
Messerschmidt aircraft
factory at Regensburg,
Germany.  The son of Mr.
and Mrs. Harold Bast of
Schuylkill Haven, he was a
truck driver for Hoover
Trucking Company of
Cressona before the war
before entering the AAF in
August 1942.
October 5, 1944 -
Private Harvey G. Heffner Jr.,
son of Harvey G. Heffner Sr.,
Schuylkill Haven, was killed in
action in France on
September 20, a telegram
having been received from the
War Department on Thursday.
He was born in Friedensburg
on January 31, 1925 and was
inducted into the service on
June 5, 1943 and received his
basic training at Camp
Wheeler, Georgia.  He had
been stationed in Ireland until
June 1944 when he was
transferred to France.
He was graduated from the
Cressona High School in 1943
and was a member of the
football team for several
years.  He made his home for
two years with his sister, Mrs.
Joseph H. Manbeck, 121 East
Liberty Street in Schuylkill
Surviving besides his father
are these brothers and
sisters: Mrs. Harry Stewart,
Harrison N. Y., Harold F.
Heffner, Auburn, Mrs.
Lybrandt Mease,
Friedensburg,Mrs. Joseph
Manbeck and Mrs. Charles
Croneberger, Schuylkill Haven
and Mrs. Cyril Thomas,
November 1, 1944 -
Private Sterling A. Knarr, 20,
son of Mr. and Mrs. John A.
Knarr, Fairview Avenue,
Schuylkill Haven, was killed in
action at Aachen on October
16 according to notification
received from the War
Department on Tuesday.
Private Knarr enlisted from
Schuylkill Haven High School
on March 24, 1943 and was
sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana
and Camp Bowie, Texas for
training.  He was in a tank
battalion and left for overseas
three weeks after going to
Texas.  He landed in England
on his 19th birthday and saw
considerable combat service
since that time.  He was an
active worker in Saint John's
Reformed Church and Sunday
School.  His father was a
veteran of World war One.  
Besides his parents, one
brother Orville in the airborne
troops in Holland survives.
October 1, 1944 -
Private Leonard G. McCord
son of George A. McCord,
Caldwell Street, Schuylkill
Haven, a paratrooper has
been reported missing in
action over Holland on
September 25th according to
a War Department telegram
received on Tuesday.
He has been in the service
since March 1941 and
received his training at Fort
Benning Georgia and has been
overseas about one year.  He
has a brother William serving
in the Navy and four sisters,
Mrs. John McGlone and Mrs.
Dallas Miller both of Schuylkill
Haven, Mary employed in
Washington D. C. and
Catherine at home.
LEONARD G. MCCORD....missing
March 16, 1945 -
Mr. and Mrs. Charles I. Loy of
Parkway, Schuylkill Haven,
recently received word of
the promotion of their son,
Dr. Monroe F. Loy, to Major.  
Major Loy is now stationed
at the base hospital in
Hollandia, as chief assistant
to the head surgeon.
After having attended
premedical schools and
colleges in various parts of
the country, and graduating
from the Medical Missionary
School in Lorna Linda
California , he enlisted in the
service of his country while
an intern at a hospital in
Portland Oregon.  When
called for duty, June 1, 1942,
he was head of the medical
building of the White
Memorial Hospital, Los
Angeles, California.
In July of the same year, he
left for overseas duty, and
has seen service in the field
hospitals and in laboratory
work in Australia.  He was
promoted to Captain about
one year ago.
Major Loy was married June
22, 1935, to the former
Louise Beatty of Knoxville,
Tennessee and they are the
parents of a two year old
son Steven.  Mrs. Loy was a
graduate of Lorna Linda
College as a dietician.
February 14, 1945 -
S2/C Charles Robert Kantner,
Schuylkill Haven, husband of
Mrs. Barbara Louise Kantner,
who was previously reported
missing in action while at sea
when his ship was sunk
during a hurricane along the
Atlantic coast is now listed by
the Navy Department as
having lost his life.  In word
received by his wife
Wednesday morning, the
Navy Department said no
further hope was held for his
recovery.  He was first
reported missing September
13 of last year.
Seaman Kantner, son of W. B.
Kantner, Schuylkill Haven,
was employed in civilian life
as agent for the Prudential
Insurance Company,
Schuylkill Haven and was a
former manager of the A & P
store.  He trained for the Navy
at Sampson N. Y. and
Bayonne N. J.
Besides his wife, the former
Barbara Reichert, who makes
her home with her father at
Orwigsburg, there is a
daughter Christine and a
sister Georgine, a teacher in
the Schuylkill Haven schools.  
His mother, the late Bertha
Kantner, died a few years ago.
Pottsville Republican of July 7, 1944
                                                        ~Buy War Bonds~
                                    WAR LOAN RALLY AT SCHUYLKILL HAVEN

More then 500 employees of the Win-Ann Manufacturing Company at Schuylkill Haven,
all of whom are investing ten percent and some as high as twenty percent, of their pay
in war bonds were entertained at a Fifth War Loan rally at the plant this afternoon.
The U. S. Coast Guard Band of Philadelphia and the war heroes who will appear at the
Pottsville celebration tonight provided music and inspirational talks from a platform that
had been built.  Refreshments were served following the program.  Joseph Asher is
manager of the plant.
July 17, 1944 –
Harold E. Sterner, a native of
Schuylkill Haven and a
member of the U. S. Army died
at Fort Sill Oklahoma Army
hospital July 11.  No details of
his death were given.  Miss
Nellie Sterner of East Union
Street, Schuylkill Haven, his
aunt, who received a telegram
Saturday.  Harold was a
professional nurse and was
attached to the hospital
corps.  Both parents, Mr. and
Mrs. Samuel Sterner, are
dead.  His mother was the
former Miss Carrie Deibert, a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Daniel Deibert.  Their home
was in Edgewood.  They
erected and resided in the
home now owned by William
Reichert.  One sister, Mrs.
Irvin Laurey, survives.  The
funeral took place Friday, July
14th at San Francisco.
July 28, 1944 –
Sergeant Harold E. Templin,
23, son of Jesse Templin,
Willow Lake is listed by the
War Department as dead.  He
was killed in France June 26 in
action according to
information revealed in a
Western Union telegram
delivered to the father late
Thursday afternoon.  
Before entering the service in
April 1942, he worked at
Schuylkill Haven for the
Ebinger Iron Works.  After
induction he went to New
Cumberland then to Camps
Wheeler and Gordon and
before going overseas last
January was stationed for a
time in New York.  He is a 1938
graduate of Schuylkill Haven
High School.
His mother, the late Florence
Templin, died recently.  
Besides his father there is a
brother, Lieutenant John S.
Templin, with the AAF
somewhere in England, a
brother Kenneth, Orwigsburg
and a sister. Dorothy, wife of
William Glass, Schuylkill
Haven.  He was a member of
the First Reformed Church and
before going into the army
lived at home with his father.
August 3, 1944 –
Private Bernard I. Rhodes, 25,
son of Mrs. Irvin Raybuck, 519
South Centre Street Pottsville,
who a few days ago was
reported by the War
Department as seriously
wounded in action in France
on July 10 is now listed as
dead.  A Western Union
telegram delivered to his
mother today revealed that he
had died from his wounds on
July 11.
Private Rhodes trained fore
the artillery at Camp Polk,
Louisiana and had been
overseas since December
1943.  He was home on
furlough last September and
had been in service since
early 1943.  He was born in
Schuylkill Haven and educated
in the Schuylkill Haven
schools.  He worked at the
Alcoa plant in Cressona
before entering the service
and was a member of
Pottsville M. E. Church.
Private Rhodes has a brother,
Donald in service at Camp
Stewart, Calif and two sisters
Helen and Betty, at home.  His
mother since he had entered
the service has remarried.
August 7, 1944 –
An Eighth AAF Bomber
Station, England, Second
Lieutenant Russell L. Ney, 9
Penn Street, Schuylkill
Haven has been awarded
the Distinguished Flying
Cross, Eighth Air Force
officials announce.
Lt. Ney, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Isaac Ney, is a bombardier
on a B-17 Flying Fortress
and a veteran of more then
thirty bombing missions to
targets in Germany and
enemy occupied territory.  
His award was for
extraordinary achievement
while serving as a
bombardier on these
A former chemist for the
Calco Chemical Company,
Lt. Ney left his job in October
1942 to join the Army as an
aviation cadet.  He was
commissioned in June 1943
after graduating from the
bombardier’s school at
Childress, Texas.  
Besides the D.F.C. he wears
the Air Medal with three Oak
Leaf Clusters.  He is a 1941
graduate of Schuylkill Haven
High School.
August 8, 1944 –
Corporal Russell H. Mengle,
23, son of Mr. and Mrs. John
Mengle, 9 Eaton Street,
Schuylkill Haven was killed on
July 25 in action in France.  A
telegram from the War
Department was received by
the family Monday evening.
Corporal Mengle had been in
service over two years and
trained for the infantry at
Camp Atterbury, Indiana and
Breckenridge Georgia.  He
graduated in 1939 from
Schuylkill Haven High School
and had been employed at the
Bashore Knitting Mill in
Schuylkill Haven.  
Besides his father and mother
there are the following
brothers and sisters, Corporal
John, somewhere in India,
PFC Robert, three times
wounded in Italy, Charles and
Jean at home, Grace wife of
Edgar Staniford and Arlene,
wife of Robert Moyer, at
home.  He was a member of
the First Evangelical Church,
Schuylkill Haven.
August 10, 1944 –
PFC Ivan Knarr, son of Mrs.
Amy Moyer, Main Street,
Schuylkill Haven, who made
his home with the A. H. Heim
family, Auburn R. D. has been
killed in action in France on
July 19 according to word
received by his mother on
PFC Knarr enlisted in the
service in January 1941 and
was trained at Fort Sam
Houston, Texas, Camp McCoy,
Wisconsin and Camp
Breckenridge, Kentucky and
left for duty overseas in April.  
He was a member of an
infantry group and had been
stationed in England prior to
the invasion of France.  He
was an active member of
Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church,
Summer Hill and was a
member of the Luther League
of the Church and a choir
He is survived by his mother
and one step brother, Sterling,
serving in the Navy and two
sisters, Mrs. Viola Gouldner
and Treva.
August 17, 1944 –
Tech Sergeant John
Monsulick, 26, son of Mr. and
Mrs. Michael Monsulick,
South Manheim Township
was reported missing in
action over Germany on July
31 in a telegram received at
Pottsville and delivered by
Mgr. William S. Brobst.  He
was with a bombing crew as
a radio operator and gunner.
Sergeant Monsulick entered
the service two years ago and
trained at Keesler Field,
Mississippi.  He attended
radio and gunnery school in
Kentucky, Kansas and New
Mexico.  He went overseas in
May of this year.  He was born
in Saint Clair and educated in
the Saint Clair and Manheim
schools.  He worked with his
father on the latter’s farm.
He was home in April last on a
furlough of fifteen days to
attend the funeral of a brother
Frank, who had been fatally
injured at Casper, Wyoming.  
His last letter was received
about three weeks ago.
Besides his parents he has
five brothers and a sister,
Stephen, Spence Field,
Moultrie Georgia, George,
somewhere in the Pacific,
Michael, Andrew and Joseph
at home, and Mrs. Mary
Kohdic of Frackville.
July 28, 1944 –
Private Ernest B. Zukauskas is
included in the list of soldier
deaths announced by the War
Department.  He died of
severe sunstroke at Camp
Wolters, Texas this morning.  
He volunteered and was
inducted June 30 and after
several weeks in New
Cumberland was assigned
just recently to Camp
Wolters.  He is a 1929
graduate of the Pottsville High
School where he was an
honor student and was
graduated in 1933 from Penn
State College with a BA in
journalism being on the honor
list for the four years in
Upon completion of his college
career he was employed for a
time by the Republican leaving
this work to become manager
of the Tower City liquor store
for five years, served as
assistant manager of the
Coaldale liquor store just
before entering the service.
His father, the late William
Zukauskas, died eleven years
ago.  In addition to his mother,
who is now the wife of Barney
Kaltauckas, he is survived by
his wife, the former Anna
Grouge of Mahanoy City, who
lives with their five year old
son Billy at 204 Centre
Avenue, Schuylkill Haven, a
sister, Mrs. Gerald Wharton,
who lives with her mother
here and a brother Herbert,
employed by an advertising
firm in Pittsburgh and also a
State College graduate.
Ernest was a member of Saint
Ambrose Church, Schuylkill
Haven, of the Liederkranz,
Pottsville and also of the
Liquor Store Clerks Assn.
being very active in the latter.
Funeral arrangements will be
made upon arrival of the body.
August 8, 1944 –
Sergeant Lester R. Sweigert, son of Mrs. Mary
Sweigert, 251 Fairview Street, Schuylkill Haven, was
seriously wounded in France, July 18, according to
word received by his mother Tuesday afternoon in a
Western Union telegram received at Schuylkill
Haven.  His family had been notified last week by
Sgt. Sweigert enlisted for service in September
1942 and trained at Camp Atterbury, Indiana.  He is a
graduate of Schuylkill Haven High School and had
been employed at a Schuylkill Haven shoe factory.  
He is married to the former Gloria Romano.  His
father is Merton Sweigert.
August 15, 1944 –
PFC Joseph J. Crevin
and PFC William J.
Crevin are sons of John
E. Crevin, 300 Caldwell
Street, Schuylkill Haven.
PFC Joseph is a
member of the U. S.
Marine Corps and has
been in service since
October 1, 1942,
receiving his training at
Parris Island, South
Carolina and New River,
North Carolina.  He had
served one year with
the 213th Coast artillery
at Virginia Beach,
Virginia and Camp
Stewart, Georgia.  He
has been overseas for
fourteen months and is
a veteran of the
invasion of Tarawa, the
recent Marshall Islands
and most recently the
campaign at Saipan in
the Marianas Islands.
PFC William is a
paratrooper attached to
an airborne command
somewhere in Italy and
has been in active
service in Sicily before
going to Italy.  He was
recently released from
a hospital in North
Africa returning to his
company in Italy.  He
enlisted in March 1942
and was graduated from
paratrooper school at
Fort Benning, Georgia
receiving his wings in
July 1942.  Both boys
were graduates from
Saint Ambrose,
Schuylkill Haven.
Pottsville Republican of August 9, 1945


The first meeting of the VFW in Schuylkill Haven was held on August 7 at Louis Rizzuto's
Café with an attendance of over fifty members, composed of World War One vets,
persons who were overseas and discharged and others who are still in the service and
classified as essential.
The meeting was called to order by Acting Commander Ernest Rizzuto who turned the
meeting over to John C. Phillips of Minersville, Past District Commander.  Mr. Phillips has
thus far helped to establish six new posts.  The meeting he conducted was interesting
and many helpful suggestions were offered.  Mr. Phillips has set up the charter of which
the following are members: Ernest Rizzuto, William McGlinchey, Ralph Fisher, Gerald
Butz, Floyd Brown, Charles Alleman, Edward Coller, Richard Fatkin, Clyde Dewald, George
Eiler, Leo Carr, Clifford Mengel, Richard Naffin, John Monsulick, Anthony Kupko, James
Renninger, Thomas Rudolph, John Roeder, Robert Roeder, Lucian Lindermuth, Russell
Schwenk, Robert Shirey, Kenneth Strouse, Robert Schaeffer and Roy Trumbo.
For the installation of officers for the newly formed post, there is a program being
provided which will be announced at a later date.  Several World War One vets were
helpful in establishing the new post and offered suggestions.  The next meeting is
scheduled for August 21 at the cottage of Ira Hurst located along Route 83.  
Eligibility for membership is any person who has served beyond the continental limits of
the USA and is or was a member of the US armed forces.  Application blanks are available.
May 3, 1945
PFC Clair W. Reed, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ivan
Reed, 310 East Union Street, who was
reported missing in action in Belgium on
January 5, 1945, and late reported to be a
prisoner of war of the Germans, has been
liberated and is being returned to the United
States in the near future.
April 26, 1945
T/5 George Urffer, 23, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rufus
Urffer, 120 1/2 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven, who
returned to duty on March 25, recovered from
wounds received in action previously, is now
officially reported to have been wounded a second
time while in action in Germany on April 10, through a
telegram received by his mother from the War
Department on Thursday.  He enlisted in the National
Guard in 1940 and was stationed in the West Indies
for two and one half years, returning to this country,
he was stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia and left for
overseas duty in the European area in February 1945.
April 24, 1945
Private Daniel Donton, 19, son of Charles and Neida
Donton, 318 Saint John Street, Schuylkill Haven, was
slightly wounded in action in Germany on April 8th,
the War Department announced.  He was with the
infantry.  He was born in Hamburg and attended
Hamburg schools.  In addition to his parents are the
following brothers and sisters: Milt, somewhere in
the Pacific, Elmer in France, John, somewhere in the
Pacific, Frank in France, Lester, Fort Jackson, Leroy,
Schuylkill Haven, Clayton, Pottsville, Paul, Wilma,
Verna, Eva and Evelyn, twins at home.
May 1, 1945 -
Private John J.
Fenstermacher, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Theodore
Fenstermacher, 129 Willow
Street, Schuylkill Haven,
entered the service on
January 21, 1944 and at
present is in service in the
South Pacific with an
antiaircraft battalion.  He
trained at Fort Eustis,
Virginia and had been
stationed in San Francisco,
California before going
overseas.  He attended
Schuylkill Haven High
School and was employed
at the Saint Clair car shops.
 He has a brother Warren,
in service in France and a
twin brother, James and
the following other
brothers and sisters,
George, Arthur and Helen of
Schuylkill Haven and
Theodore employed in
May 1,1945 -
Seaman 2C Charles L.
Frey, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Paul Frey, Schuylkill
Haven, who entered the
Navy on June 3, 1944 is
stationed at the
Bainbridge Naval Training
Station, Maryland where
he also received his
recruit instruction.  He
attended the Schuylkill
Haven High School.  He
has the following brothers
and sisters: Private
Quentin who served with
the Rangers at Anzio, now
a prisoner of the German
government, Betty,
Hannalea, Carl and Ruth,
all at home.
May 1, 1945 -
PFC David Schwenk, son
of Mr. and Mrs. Herman
Schwenk, 3 Pleasant
Row, Schuylkill Haven
who arrived in China
seven months ago,
where he is located with
the 14th Air Force is a
Military Policeman.
July 6, 1945-
A Schuylkill Haven boy
originally listed as missing in
action, later as a German
prisoner of war, is now
officially reported by the War
Department to have died in
prison.  PFC Gustave
Frederick Anchorstar, son of
Petty Officer and Mrs. Milton
Anchorstar, 130 West Main
Street, Schuylkill Haven, died
on March 30th in a German
prisoner of war camp where
he had been interned since
December 21, 1944, when
first reported missing in
action in Germany.  He
entered the service on May 7,
1942 and trained at Camp
Shelby, Mississippi, where he
qualified for aviation cadet
training and was sent to
Miami Beach, Florida for
training, later going to the
Lockbourne Air Base in
Columbus, Ohio.  While there
he was transferred to the
infantry and sent to Camp
Atterbury, Indiana where he
qualified as an expert
rifleman.  A 1942 graduate of
Schuylkill Haven High School,
he had been employed by the
Wright Aeronautical Company
of Paterson, New Jersey.  His
father is an Aviation
Ordnanceman second Class
Petty Officer.
May 22, 1945
Marine PFC Robert E.
Imboden, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Ira Imboden, 33 Centre
Avenue, Schuylkill Haven was
killed in action on Okinawa on
May 12.  the news was
contained in a detailed letter
from Robert's buddy, Robert
Womer of Pennbrook, in
which he stated he was hit by
fragmentations of a bomb
that struck the hut in which
PFC Imboden was during a
raid and that he died a few
minutes after being hit.  He
was buried in the Marine
Corps graveyard with special
combined services on
Mother's day.  He was a
member of an amphibious
tractor unit and had been
injured during the Pelelieu
operation and was
hospitalized at Guadalcanal
for two months, received the
Purple Heart and had
returned to duty.  PFC
Imboden entered the Marines
on September 10, 1943 and
received his basic training at
Parris Island, South Carolina.  
He had been in the South
Pacific since July 1944.  He
attended Schuylkill Haven
High School and was
employed by a grocery store
in Schuylkill Haven before
entering the service.  
Surviving besides his parents
are one sister, Marie, wife of
Russell Brown of Schuylkill
Haven and three brothers,
Stanley, Lackawanna, New
York, Lawrence, a former
member of the Schuylkill
Haven High School faculty of
Harrisburg and Walter of
November 8, 1944-
First Lieutenant John S.
Templin, Willow Lake,
previously reported missing
in action over Germany on
September 28 is now a
prisoner of war.  This was
revealed by the International
Red Cross through the War
Department in a telegram
received by his father today.  
Lieutenant Templin was a
pilot of a fighter plane and
had been in the service five
years.  He trained for the Air
Corps at Langley and Scott
Fields.  He was born at Port
Carbon and was a 1939
graduate of Schuylkill Haven
High School.  A brother
Harold, who was with the
armed forces in France, was
killed in action on July 5th.  
His mother, Mrs. Florence
Templin, died about two
years ago.  Besides his
father there is a brother
Kenneth of Orwigsburg and a
sister, Mrs. Dorothy Glass of
Schuylkill Haven.
November 17, 1944

Three Sons in Service

Three sons of Mr. and Mrs. John R. McGlone of
Schuylkill Haven Rd are serving in the military at this
Private Terrence entered the service on January 6,
1942, and is a member of the Airborne Engineers at
present in active service in New Guinea.  He received
his training at Fort McClellan, Alabama and left for
overseas service in June of that year.  Prior to
entering the Army he was employed at the Glenn
Martin Plant, Maryland.  
PFC Walter left for service on June 8, 1942 and
trained at Camp wheeler, Georgia and Fort Ord,
California and left for overseas duty from here and is
now serving with the infantry in New Guinea.  Upon
his arrival overseas, he met his brother Terrence,
whom he had not seen for nineteen months.
Private John entered the Army on May 2, 1944 and is a
member of a medical unit stationed at Camp reynolds,
Pennsylvania.  He received his basic training at Camp
Grant, Illinois.  He is married to the former Dorothy
McCord and recently spent a furlough with his wife
and parents.  He was employed at the Glenn Martin
Plant, Maryland.
They have four sisters: Dorothy, wife of Stanley
Crossley; Alberta, wife of Seaman Second Class
Reynold F. Borden, in service in the Southwest Pacific
for the past six months; Irene, wife of Major Lewis R.
Noecker, serving in the European theatre for twenty
eight months and Ruth of Schuylkill Haven.
November 10, 1944

Private Russell Reidler, son
of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Reidler, 17 East Liberty
Street, Schuylkill Haven,
entered the service in
November, 1943 and is a
member of a field artillery
unit, which has just arrived
safely in England.  He
received his training at Fort
Bragg, North Carolina and
Camp Pickett, Virginia while
in this country.  He attended
the Schuylkill Haven High
School and was employed
at a factory there before
leaving for the Army.  He
has two brothers, John P.
and Calvin N. at home and
one sister, Mrs. Catherine
Heiser, Schuylkill Haven.