MARCH 1910
Pottsville Republican of March 5, 1910

There is a big bunch of Main Street residents who take a great deal of pride in the
paved section of that thoroughfare, as was evidenced during the thaw in the early part
of the week when, at their own expense, they removed the accumulation of snow, ice
and filth from the street and washed it clean to the bone.  Civic pride is a good thing for
a town and we are glad to note its rapid growth in Schuylkill Haven.

If half of the street talk is true, the reorganization meeting of Town Council on next
Monday night promises to be a lively one.  It is rumored that there is on hand a three
cornered fight, for the council have resolved themselves into as many factions.  There
is a scramble on for the chairmanships of the various committees and there will be two
and perhaps three candidates for the secretaryship which pays a hundred dollars a
year.  It is said also that an effort will be made to give the town a police force and a
number of recommendations that have for their object the betterment of the town's
municipal affairs will be made.  The meeting will undoubtedly be of the greatest interest
to the taxpayers.

Jake Rettinger is busily engaged reorganizing the Schuylkill haven baseball club and
says the town will be represented by a strong team this year.  He has resumed the
backing of a local businessman who is a great lover of the national game and has
resumed a lease on a ball park for the coming season.  The team will probably be made
up of town men exclusively and will be a distinctly Schuylkill Haven team.

Pottsville Republican of March 8, 1910


Town Council met in regular session last night.  Burgess Hartman presented his annual
report showing the number of arrests and fines collected.  Council then adjourned
"sine die" to reorganize.  Council reorganized, the following newly elected members
subscribing to the oath before Burgess Hartman: Messrs. Harold Weirs, George Berger,
warren Brown, Lawrence McKeown and C. G. Wagner.  The other members are Messrs.
Caffrey, Keller, Moore, Rooney and Saul.  Robert Keller was elected President,
defeating Dr. Moore by a vote of seven to six.  Floyd Dunning was elected Secretary
over George E. Runkle, who has been Secretary for four years by a vote of eight to four.
 His salary was fixed at a hundred dollars a year.  L. B. Keller was reelected Treasurer at
a salary of $150 per year.  Morris Werner reelected electrician with a salary increased to
eighty dollars per month.  John Butz was reelected chief of police with a salary of $150
per year.  Dr. Moore, in his annual report of the Electric Light department protested
against making power contracts at two cents per kilowatt, claiming the price too low and
he made a motion that no five year contracts at that price be entered into this year.  
After considerable discussion, it was decided to request a representative of Jere
Woodring and Company to attend the next meeting of Council in order to make final
settlement on the Electric Light Plant.

Pottsville Republican of March 11, 1910


Miss Thompson, teacher of Number 6 school was absent from her school last week,
being seriously ill.  Mr. Bensinger, of the grammar school, held his session on
Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday in th recitation room in the high school.  The
cellar of the building in which the school has quarters was flooded and the fire in the
furnace put out.  The school took up its quarters again on Monday morning.  The
attendance in our schools is quite poor at present on account of sickness.  The report
for the month which closed on Wednesday of last week was the poorest we have had
this year.  The total enrollment for the term was 890 and for the month 845.  The seniors
of the High school delivered four minute speeches on Friday afternoon in the exercises
of the Literary Society.  The speeches were of their own composition and choices of
subject.  They were delivered in fine style and were intended for drill work for
commencement.  The State Special High School appropriation of $345 has been
received.  This is the amount given for second class high schools.  Principal Heckert
stated the tuition for this year would be much more than that of last year, that collected
in the high school alone amounting to $75.
Mr. Minnig reported for the Building Committee with reference to Mr. Bensinger's
school last week.  The room is in good condition again and occupied.  He also reported
that a leak in the South Ward building roof was repaired.  The Truancy Committee's
report was next taken up and the cases disposed of.  A case of prosecution will be
taken up this week and others will follow.  Several cases are ready for prosecution.  The
secretary was instructed to notify the physicians practicing in town to be prompt in
issuing certificates to readmit pupils to the school when the terms of exclusion on
account of contagious diseases has expired.  The principal was directed to hire
Bensinger's orchestra for commencement at the price set forth in the application.  

Pottsville Republican of March 12, 1910


Falling under the wheels of his own train, fast freight Number 57, on the Reading
Division, William Fullerton of Schuylkill Haven, received injuries from which he died
shortly before ten o'clock last evening in the Homeopathic Hospital in Reading.  When
the train, whose destination was Harrisburg, reached Reading at 10:09 last evening the
conductor and other members of the crew missed Fullerton as he was not at his post to
help cut out the cars to be left in Reading.  Going over the train, brakeman Regar found
Fullerton's lantern and at once suspected that he had met with an accident.  The fact
that he was missing was reported to the office of the dispatcher and that official sent a
shifter down the road to look for him.
Lying against the wall of the Keystone plant of the Reading Cold Storage and Ice
Company at Laurel Street, Fullerton was found.  He was placed on the tender and
hurried to the upper station where he was then placed in the ambulance which had
been summoned and taken to the hospital.  When placed on the operating table,
Fullerton's terrible injuries were revealed.  His right leg was frightfully mangled, the left
arm severed and the skull crushed.  His remarkable vitality was shown by the fact that
despite his loss of blood and his injuries he was conscious until a few minutes before
he died.
How Fullerton received his injuries he was not able to explain.  A short time after the
train entered Reading, he left the caboose and went forward to be on hand to help cut
out the cars.  It is supposed that in stepping from one car to another he missed his
footing and slipped through the opening, landing on the tracks.  In his pocket was a
receipt for dues paid to Muhlenberg Lodge Number 1085, I. O. O. F.  The body was
removed to the morgue of undertaker F. E. Seidel and brought to his home in Schuylkill
Haven this afternoon.  William Fullerton was the sole support of his widow mother,
resdiding in Spring Garden, Schuylkill Haven.  He was a man about thirty years of age
and well known.  To survive him besides his mother who is heartbroken over the
accident, he leaves the following brothers and sisters: George, an engineer, Mrs.
Theodore Hoy and Miss Sallie Fullerton, all of Schuylkill Haven.

Pottsville Republican of March 21, 1910


The boys of the High School elected the following officers for the baseball team:
Manager Robert Sausser, Captain Lee Trout, and Treasurer Walter Knarr.  A challenge
from Tamaqua was read but no action taken on it.

Walter Moyer, whose son Clifford, was absent from school illegally was prosecuted by
the School Board.  Mr. Moyer failed to appear at the hearing and judgement was given
against him by Squire Moyer.  Mr. Moyer paid a fine of two dollars and the costs.  The
Finance Committee met last Thursday night and decided to prosecute two more cases at
once.  The cases are being prepared and a hearing will be had in the near future.

Pottsville Republican of March 24, 1910


Earl Witman held a fox chase from his Hotel Central on Saturday that was attended by a
big crowd of sports.  There were thirteen dogs entered and ll of these ran well.  John
Schwartz's dog captured first prize of fifty dollars.    John Moyer of Orwigsburg owns the
dog that took second money.

Haven Street had a little scare on Saturday afternoon, caused by a smoking stove and
chimney in one of the "Bank" houses occupied by James Sullivan.  The neighbors
summoned the Friendship Hook and Ladder Company's chemical engine but discovered
the cause of the scare and countermanded the order before the Hooks had time to get
to the scene.

Local sports held a very interesting live bird shoot on Saturday that was attended by a
big crowd.  The first shoot at twenty five birds results: Burns 17, Wildermuth 17, Ebling
16, Schaffner 14, Bubeck 13, High 9.  The second twenty five bird event results:
Schaffner 20, Bubeck 20, Clouser 20, Burns 15, High 13, Wildermuth 10 and Ebling 8.  The
third event was at fifteen birds each and the remarkable score of 14 was made by each
of the following contestants: Burns, High, Ebling, Schaffner and Wildermuth.

Pottsville Republican of March 29, 1910


John Zelbo of Cressona was last evening arrested at Schuylkill haven by State Troopers
Trautwein and Hyde and brought to Pottsville where he was given a hearing this
morning before Squire Martin on the charge of disorderly conduct.  He was drunk and
was creating a nuisance in the vicinity of Hotel Grand in the town.  When searched, an
improvised knife was found on his person.  It was made of a razor blade stuck in a piece
of wood and resembled a large carving knife.  The defendant claimed he used it in
repairing shoes although it is claimed he flourished it several times in Schuylkill Haven.  
In default of fine and costs he was committed to jail for ten days.