MARCH 1909
The Call of March 5, 1909

A regular stated meeting of the Borough Council was held on Monday evening with the
following members present: Messrs. Bubeck, Caffrey, Heim, Keller. Lautenbacher,
McKeown, Meck, Mengle, Rooney, Saul, and President Schumacher. Secretary Runkle,
Solicitor Noecker and Supervisor Knarr were also present. President Schumacher
reported Mr. Rowley, who owns a lot next to garbage plot, complains that in dumping
garbage people are not careful to keep on borough plot, but have deposited garbage on
his premises.  On motion of Mr. Saul, Board of Health be instructed to clean garbage off
Rowley’s and all surrounding lots and see to it garbage is hereafter dumped in its
proper place.  President Schumacher reported the roadway at the P and R bridge in the
West Ward is in bad shape owing to pilings having sunk below old bridge supports.  On
motion of Mr. Rooney, the company will be directed to repair the road.  Mr. Keller
reported that some clay deposited on Margaretta Street makes the street soft and a
menace to teamsters.  This was referred to the Road Committee.  

A reorganization of the council was then held.  Mr. J. C. Lautenbacher was elected
president.  John Butz was nominated and elected as Chief Burgess.  Mr. McKeown
reported bad road between the Pennsy arch and the borough line.  The court had asked
Constable Butz about this road.  It was referred to the Road Committee.  Mr. McKeown
reported the complaint as to men working in the borough.  He moved no man be allowed
to work more then three days until each man who desires to work out his tax had an
opportunity to do so.  This motion carried.  Mr. Bubeck reports Mr. Brown of Centre
Avenue wants the course of the culvert changed so that he can build on lots he recently
bought from Mrs. Bryant.  He also wants curb line run.  This was referred to the Road

Mr. Hartman presented the following: “March 1st 1909.  I respectfully ask Schuylkill
Haven Council to appoint at least two paid policemen, salary to be sufficient to enable
them to devote their entire time to the maintenance of peace and good order in the
borough.  To make the penalty for disturbing the peace at least five dollars instead of
the insignificant sum of one dollar as at present.  To supply me with shield, handcuffs,
nippers, billies, necessary books, stationery, postage, etc., that may be necessary to
fulfill the duties of my office or give me permission to purchase the same and pay me
when bills rendered.  To give me all notices in writing, attested by the clerk, to furnish
me with a copy of the ordinance or the ordinance book itself.”  On motion of Saul, the
burgess was given authority to secure whatever paraphernalia he requires.

The school board met in regular monthly session on Monday evening.  Directors
Reinhart, Crossley, Berkheiser, Heim, Minnig, Hoffman, Smith, Jones and Bast were
present.  Janitor Hoffman, Principal Heckert and several parents interested in cases of
nonattendance were also present.  After the reading of the minutes, the truancy record
and report was taken up.  There was action taken in fourteen cases.  The Loyal
temperance Legion of the W. C. T. U. sent a communication to the board requesting to
be permitted to use one of the schoolrooms on Saturday afternoons to hold meetings
for boys and girls.  The society will take care of the room or arrange with the janitor for
such service.  The board granted the request.

Mr. Reinhart reported having made some investigation with reference to the ownership
of a certain vacant lot adjoining the school property in the South Ward and with which
the school district is assessed.  It is claimed the plot of ground belongs to the district
but no proper title has been found.  The investigation will continue.  On motion Reinhart,
Bast and Eiler were appointed a committee to consider and prepare plans to improve
the South Ward school grounds.  The principals report was read and his
recommendations acted upon.  Miss Cogan of the W. C. T. U. was voted the privilege of
giving chalk talks on anticigarette and antialcohol subjects in the schools.  The principal
was instructed to dismiss the schools at noon on the next one session day.  To dismiss
at one o’clock brings the children too late to their dinners, which causes illness and
also brings on much inconvenience in the homes of the pupils.  

W. Y. Miller, one of the operatives at the G. H. Gerber Shoe Company’s factory, has
severed his connection with that concern in order to give his entire time and attention
to his own factory, which was started about a year ago in a small way and has been
growing steadily.  Mr. Miller was presented with a souvenir by the lasters who worked
with him at the Gerber factory.

George W. Butz, engineer of town, will have charge of the construction of the new
trolley line between Pottsville and Shenandoah.  During his absence from town his work
will be looked after by C. J. Frederici of Auburn.

The Pottsville Republican of March 12, 1909


About two o’clock yesterday afternoon a double team belonging to liveryman John
Brown of Schuylkill Haven ran away.  The team was coming down Main Street in that
town when the double tree pin came out, hitting the one horse on the leg and causing
the team to dash down towards the P and R station.  Crossing the railroad directly in
front of a fast approaching train, they came into contact with a farmer’s team coming
from the coal chutes of James Schucker.  The one wheel of the latter’s wagon was
broken and the coal dumped into the street.  The horses of Brown’s team then tried to
turn around and were caught in front of Stitzer’s Café.  Beyond several minor bruises to
the horses and the breaking of the wheel, no further damage was done.

The Call of March 12, 1909


A special meeting of town council was held on Tuesday evening to take action on the
proposed rebuilding of the borough electric light plant.  All the members were present
except Mr. Rauch who was unavoidably detained.  Mr. Myers, engineer for Jere
Woodring and Company and Mr. Allen, formerly of the Westinghouse Company applied
for the work of drawing up plans and specifications and supervising construction.  Mr.
Myers asked three percent commission on the cost of the plant and the privilege of
having his firm bid on the contract, if his firm secures the contract he will rebate the
commission.  Mr. Allen asked $250 for the work and was selected as engineer.  An
investigating committee consisting of the Light Committee, Secretary, Treasurer and
Solicitor was appointed to look over the Light accounts from January 1, 1907 to January
1, 1909.  Mr. Saul thought something interesting might be disclosed, he having made
some discoveries in the past week.  He was later included on this committee.  
Electrician Werner was put under $500 bond on motion of Mr. McKeon.  On motion of Mr.
Saul, council decided to employ someone to keep books and make out the bills for the
electrician at $7.50 per month.  The Ordinance Committee was instructed to draw up an
ordinance regarding the proposed bond issue and the Light Committee was directed to
go ahead with the engineer on the making of the plans.

The Pottsville Republican of March 14, 1909


According to a Philadelphia newspaper, Patrick Ryder, a resident of Schuylkill Haven,
was sentenced to ten days in jail by a magistrate at that place charged with disorderly
conduct.  Ryder while in Philadelphia made the acquaintance of a woman who relieved
him of $60.  Getting the services of a policeman, he endeavored to regain his money
even going to the extent of using the policeman’s club on the officer.  He was bested in
his attempt after being roughly handled and was taken to the Homeopathic Hospital
where he had his injuries dressed and was later committed to jail.

The Call of March 19, 1909

The Schuylkill Haven Gas and Water Company has removed from the corner of Main and
Haven Streets to the building on Saint John Street, recently vacated by Squire Goas.  
The building has been fitted up as a very cozy office and Superintendent Werner and his
corps of assistants are now right in the business center of town.  The company’s
workshop has been placed in the basement of the Yoder Building under Hartman’s store
and has been fitted with all the necessary appliances for speedy work on gas and water
pipe lines.

Chief Burgess Hartman had “George W.” arrested and jailed in default of bail for being
drunk and disorderly and insulting women.  “George W.” is a nuisance who has pestered
this town for a number of years and the citizens endorse Burgess Hartman’s efforts to
get rid of him.

The Pottsville Republican of March 26, 1909

SECOND WELL HAS GOOD SUPPLY – Schuylkill Haven Seems to Be Assured of Unfailing
Water Supply

The new number two well that was completed a few days ago by the Schuylkill Haven
Water Company up the Panther Creek Valley at a distance of  200 feet of the number one
well, which proved so satisfactory and which we gave a full account of a week ago, was
severely tested yesterday with most gratifying results.  The well is 212 feet deep and
after seven hours of continuous pumping of 165 gallons per minute, showed 180 feet of
standing water.  It finally dropped to 147 feet of water but lower than that it could not be
reduced.  It cannot now be determined what the possibilities of the company’s two new
wells are as the temporary pump can not be worked beyond 160 gallons per minute.  
They may possibly send it thousands of gallons a minute when worked by modern air
compressors with which they will be equipped as soon as possible.  It is gratifying to say
that pumping the new number two well had no effect in reducing the quantity of water in
number one well.  It seems that a future drought like that of last season cannot effect
the future water supply of Schuylkill Haven and Cressona.

The Call of March 26, 1909

Morris Reichert’s single green grocery team and Farmer Luckenbill’s double span
figured in a runaway and collision on Margaretta Street on Saturday in which Mr.
Reichert’s wagon lost its top and was badly damaged and his stock of fruits and
vegetables were scattered about the street.  The farmer’s team ran a couple of squares
and was caught and the horses speedily quieted.

Postmaster Huy has erected in front of the post office a large iron mail box with a
capacity for large sized packages.  The box is one of Uncle Sam’s latest and most
approved patterns and its usefulness will be appreciated by those who have letters and
packages to mail before or after post office hours.

The Pottsville Republican of March 26, 1909


While helping to repair a car at the P and R shops at Schuylkill Haven yesterday
afternoon, a beam weighing 700 pounds fell across the both legs of Frank Wortz of that
town.  He was removed to his home where a physician was summoned, but on account
of the swollen condition could not ascertain whether any bones were broken or not.  His
one leg is badly lacerated and in falling he received several on the head.

The Pottsville Republican of March 30, 1909

What might have been a most serious runaway was prevented by the cool head and
prompt action of Charles Detweiler on Sunday morning.  While the streets were crowded
with people going to church, William Ball’s horse in some way got loose at the stable and
dashed madly up the street to Saint Peter Street, then up Saint peter Street to Main
where Mr. Detweiler, with much risk to himself, bravely captured the animal.