The Call of June 1, 1917

During the month of June base ball fans of this town will be given the opportunity to see a number of good ball games in the local
ball park and from sentiment expressed, many of them will pay their admission fee willingly and be on hand.  The games will be
played by the Saint Clair Philadelphia and Reading base ball team which last year came very near winning the pennant in the P & R
base ball league.  This year the team is stronger than ever before.  From the fact that it is a railway base ball league, seasoned fans
and old timers need not snicker and think the exhibitions will not be worthwhile.  Good exhibitions are put up and close and
exciting games are the rule.  The first of the months games will be played Saturday, June 2nd, when the Reading Transportation
Division team will play the Saint Clair team.  June 9th the Auditors of Philadelphia will be here.  On June 16th, the Reading Car Shop
team and on June 23rd, the Transportation team of Philadelphia.

A disgraceful occurrence was that of the fight of Monday afternoon between Ray Hoffman and an Italian laborer employed by E. P. R.
Company in repairing the brick paving on Main Street.  Quite a crowd was attracted to the scene and for a while the participants in
the fight pommelled each other in regular pugilistic style.  Bystanders interfering and separating the fighters prevented what might
have resulted in something serious.  It is said Hoffman made remarks to the Italian concerning the method of placing the bricks.  
One word brought on another and finally the two men mixed things for a while at the corner of Main and Saint John Streets.  
Although the borough authorities appeared at the scene within several minutes time, no arrests were made or fines imposed.  It is
said the E. P. R. Company intends bringing suit against Hoffman for his interference with their work.

The Call of June 8, 1917

Landlord Rudolph, of the Halfway House, was in town on Tuesday displaying a number of ripe apples which he plucked form a tree
on his premises this week.  The apples, although small in size, were neat in appearance.  Rudy lays claim to having the first fruit of
the season and still has more on his tree.

The waiting room at the Reading station had the appearance Tuesday morning as if a cyclone had passed through the room.  A band
of gypsies with a number of children had occupied the room while waiting for the train to the west end of the county and what those
kids did was a caution.  Station agent Johnson was forced to scrub the room following the departure of these dark skinned natives.

The annual banquet of the High School Alumni Association was held last evening at the Long Run Hotel.  The guests of honor were
the members of the class of 1917 and who were formally received into the association.  The event was a delightful one, all present
reporting having had a very enjoyable time.  On Wednesday evening a dance was held in the Good Will hall in honor of the class of
1917, same being tendered by the Luma Club of town.  Seltzer's orchestra furnished the music.

The Call of June 15, 1917

Mrs. P. T. Hoy, wife of the well known Main Street merchant had a very narrow escape from serious injury on Tuesday morning when
the gas stove in her home exploded.  The gas had been turned on in the oven and several minutes elapsed before the match was
applied.  In the meantime the doors of the oven had not been opened and the accumulation of gas caused the explosion.  The door
was blown open striking Mrs. Hoy on the wrist and inflicting a slight injury.  Some damage was done to the stove.

Underwear manufacturer J. D. Reed has a force of men at work making extensive improvements to his mill.  New floors are being
placed, the roof of the boiler house raised and new finishing machines installed.  Mr. Reed expects the work to be completed by the
first of July when operations will again be resumed.

A serious accident was narrowly averted on Wednesday afternoon when an auto owned by a party named Reed, ran into a guide
rope being used by the employees of the Bell Telephone Company, who were stringing wires along Dock Street.  Unknown to the
driver of the auto, the rope wound itself about the machine.  The first intimation that the employees had was when several men, at
work on the top of poles, started to yell when the wires came apart.  One of the employees was nearly pulled from his lofty position
before the auto was brought to a stop.  The accident was witnessed by Squire William Kline and merchant Harry Sterner, together
with a number of women residing in the neighborhood.

The Call of June 22, 1917

Less than one and one half hours after he started his daily occupation at the Schuylkill Haven car shops, on Monday morning last,
Gordon D. Reed, one of the most widely known residents of this section of the county dropped dead.  At the time of his demise he
was at work on a box car in company with George J. Burns and Irvin J. Reichert.  The three had been conversing together about
moving the car and Burns had just moved to the other side when Reichert called to him that Reed had fallen over.  Hardly a sound
was uttered by the deceased after he had fallen.  Dr. J. A. Lessig was summoned and arrived within a few minutes.  He pronounced
life extinct and death was almost instantaneous.  His family were then notified and the remains removed by undertaker Bittle to his
home on Dock Street.  The news of his sudden death was a shock to his many friends and spread about town very rapidly.

The Moyer auto bus came near figuring in a serious accident on Saturday evening shortly before six o'clock on the high bank above
Seven Stars.  The bus comfortably filled with people, was enroute to Schuylkill Haven when after reaching the top of the hill, a pin
broke.  It was stopped just as the front of the truck crashed through the fence or guard rail and the wheels were about to go over
the edge of the bank.  The passengers hurriedly alighted and got to a place of safety.  The damage was quickly repaired and the
passengers brought home.

The Call of June 29, 1917

Within the course of another week or two, Benjamin Crossley will start manufacturing his own ice cream cones.  The great demand
for these cones in this season of the year has retarded the shipment from the large manufacturing plants.  Mr. Crossley has already
received his machinery and is having the same installed.  His output will be several hundred cones per day.

A movement is on foot amongst several citizens to provide for municipal band concerts in Schuylkill haven during the summer.  By
this is meant weekly band concerts in different parts of the town by the two local bands.  It is proposed to raise a fund in some way
or another to purchase a suitable band stand and it is intended to move this stand from place to place.  In addition, electric light for
the musicians will be furnished so that these two features which caused the bands to reluctantly consent to give open air concerts
heretofore may be taken care of by a special committee for the purpose.  It is also proposed to provide police so that the public
desiring to pay attention and be entertained will not be interrupted by the usual yelling of youngsters.